Forum for kitesurfers
davince
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Good large flat kites exist?

Postby davince » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:35 pm

Why does it seem that nobody can make a good flat kite above 13m2?

Kite designers, the truth?
Many kite manufacturers don't even have a big kite in their range. Takoon nova, max size 12; GK sonic max size 14 etc... It doesn't seem so easy to make.

And if they do exist, I hear big flat kites are lump and slow. Your experience?

First, I didn't try any flat kite. None. Still on my old 2004/2005 gear. But I am interested. And from all reports I can get or read, I am quite sceptical about the largest sizes (15/16m2). I need size (95kg/220lbs). Often people don't believe it, but when you're big... well, you're just big. And you like to have the power. On paper a modern flat 15/16 looks very good. But I have my doubts. Especially on how fun they are.

And by the way, please, no "board size is important" advice. I know that. And I too, "with a rabbit's fart, I can go screaming upwind with my 12 and my 10 foot longboard !?! So cool dude!"...
This not my point.

Not looking for uttermost lightwind kite performance. More 10-15kts range and not wanting to sacrify on the 10kts area. Like when others would probably be happy with a 16 or 14 c-kite and their every day board.

Thanks.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:49 pm

Well I don't know what you're looking for, but I've used both the 14 Xbow and 16 Waroo, both being much more preferable options than the old 19.5 contra C kite.

I've put a fair bit of time on the 14m contra and well it did suit me very much. In winds between 10 - 20 knots, it does work well, but I am light at 150 lbs, so my impressions and needs can be very different. I do know a fellow who is much bigger than me and didn't like the Contra, thus going back to C style kites.

I notice that new silver Arrow kite, that does look very cool!! :thumb:

kovacs
Medium Poster

Postby kovacs » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:59 pm

the truth is, that the bigger the kite is, the slower it moves + there is addiotional weight, so you can have very big kite which in terms of riding perform same as smaller/faster kite plus smaller kites are easier to keep in air because of their weight.

I'm 80kg, and i'm not intended to go anywhere over 12m + large light wind board, altough most of our local winds are pretty light.

But if you have chance, try Cabrinha Contra 17m, the best light wind bow i have seen in action. If this doesnt help FS Speed2 Silver Arrow might be your last and only hope. :)

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:19 pm

well I cant agree with you that no one makes a good flat kite above 13m...

My old big kites 21m gaastra... SUCKTTTT, but I still pumpd it up 30+ days to get my fix, and it satisfied, but also tried to kill me often

18 north Rhino 05, great kite great bar feel, not quick but great hangtime!

My current 16m waroo is as fast as my old naish v4 14m, and has the pwr of a 20m?! I cant tell you how much more fun Ive had in my area since getting this kite, whereas before I struglled with 2 kites on the beach, over pwrd on the 21 m underpwrd on the 14.

Try some, youll like em... as long as you accept the fact its not a 12m and its never gonna behave like a 12m. But its still pretty damn good and its getting better every year!

Neil
Medium Poster

Postby Neil » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:26 pm

I have a 16 Crossbow, im not small either (200lb) very happy with it, pretty quick in the turn for its size, i even like the bar pressure! 10-15knots is plenty.

WindRyder
Medium Poster

Postby WindRyder » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:31 pm

I have a friend who is 220+ and he has been riding the '07 15M and 17M Waroos and has been very happy with them. He has ridden the 17M in 10kts on his Underground big and fatty board with no problem. Even though I weigh about 100 lbs less and can ride in lighter winds doesn't mean a bigger kite will turn any faster for me in those light winds. I was very impressed with the '07 15M Waroo in 8-10kts. Turned a lot faster than my '06 16M Crossbow, didn't fall back or lose shape. I know it would be more difficult to water relaunch, but any kite would be in light wind. I am curious to see how the 19M Waroo handles.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:29 pm

there si no 19,the big boy is a 20mand there are a coupleof reviewsfrom very happy big guys on the best forum.

and if memory serves me right, theres one on here.

kruzlifix
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Baleia, Ceara, Brazil
Style: wave and HF
Gear: AHC, Firewire, Levitaz, Moses, Cabrinha, Flysurfer

Postby kruzlifix » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:33 pm

all I can say... where ever I go (230lbs) I am with my Contra 17 and Door 164 always either the first or the last kiter on the water....
Andreas :bye:

T Dub
Frequent Poster

Postby T Dub » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:44 pm

http://www.eclipsekiteboarding.com.

Thruster (a 16 is in development)
Chameleon (16 already available)

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:29 pm

There is nothing wrong with the 16m Turbo Deisel. If you are a bit on the heavy side, it makes a great light wind kite. I've upgraded my my smaller kites, but I've not seen anything better yet worth upgrading to.

The bigger TD's were definitely better kites.

:bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”