Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

KITE SHOW 2003 in El Gouna, Egypt cancelled !!!!!

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

KITE SHOW 2003 in El Gouna, Egypt cancelled !!!!!

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:17 am

really bad news for all of us who worked so hard for it to happen and for the ones who were looking forward to join it and to have a good time.

the Kite Show 2003 in El Gouna, Egypt, has been cancelled !

We waited until know and made this decision at the weekend.

Everyday we followed the news and didn't know what to do.
But do to the high posibility of war, which looks to happen at exactly this time, the risk of a war close by is very high.
The officals don't suggest going to Egypt in that case. At the first Gulf war there were incidents with Egyptians and tourists.
And the possibility is very high that it wi happen again, even worse.
And you never know which weapons are going to be used and some countries which are close by can be attacked.

I asked airlines about what ill happen if the war starts, they all say that it is very likely that the flights will be cancelled, as it just happend with Venezuela.

And I don't want to be at an event when war is starting and then imagine all the chaos that can happen, when we have to get on a military machines to get out of there! It wouldn't be fun celebrating knowing that this could happen every minute....

I was really looking forward to this event, but I don't want to take all the responsibility for something to happen.
This wouldn't make me happy, therefore we preferred to cancel this event.

We are looking for a new spot, but since the time is so short, I doubt to find it.
maybe someone has an idea where we could go instead?

But be sure, in 2004 the Kite Show will be even better !!!!
And maybe there will be more than one Kite Show, even this year there could be some events....

:cry:
Toby
Last edited by Toby on Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:52 am

So Toby.....
I dont suppose you'd be interested in buying my NON-Refundable plane trip tickets I have here to get to Egypt would ya?
;)

Pea's

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:36 am

Sorry Johnny,

but believe me, it might be better for you not to go....

I can't tell you how sorry I am, but I guess you need to wait a while than the flight will be cancelled anyway.

But I could list all the time, effort, material, trips, etc, but this won't change the situation we will be in soon, unfortunately.

You should try to get it refunded, the comming war should be excuse enough!

And you are always welcome to send me a pm.

Greets
Toby

Bengan
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Bengan » Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:43 am

Hi,

For all of you that bought tickets, the likeliness of cancellations of flights to Egypt are very high at this moment so there might not be possible to travel.

I personally don't think it will be any danger in Egypt itself, the country is not involved as it was during the gulf war but it is the opinion of the foreign people and media that causes alarm.

I expect that Egypt will be totally empty of tourists in case of war, even now it's extremely empty becasue of the situation.

So better cancel now, before too many people put too much effort into this.

Colona Watersports at the Magawish is open and will offer special rates for people coming that planned to go to the show and cant refund tickets.

Thanks,

Bengan
Colona Watersports
bengan@colonawatersports.com

Johnny TBKS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Johnny TBKS » Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:44 am

NAW...I'm just kidding with your brother!
Watch for my specific use of the emoticons. Anytime I place something like this :wink: at the end of a line, it's the first clue that you aren't to take me seriously.

It's all good. I didn't have any tickets. As I had stated earlier, I'm not worthy of being able to make it this time.

Appreciate your concern just the same though bro.

Johnny

kitesuffer
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesuffer » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:08 am

Toby & Bengan,
Despite the fact that i was unable to attend anyway I am sure I speak for all your friends and associates in saying how sorry I am that the event had to be cancelled. You guys must have done tonnes of work to even get this far and I hope it doesn't put you off trying again when things settle down. You could always hold it here. March/April is great for kiting in NSW & QLD. Take your pick of hundreds of deserted beaches on the Australian East coast with plenty of things to do when the wind don't blow.

Cheers
Mike

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:32 am

Toby, you could always do the kiteshow here in mexico. In Progreso, Yucatan. We will be having a red bull king of the air competition from april 9-14, the winner of this event and another to be held in puerto vallarta at the end of may will go to the red bull king of the air in hawaii, all expenses paid courtesy of red bull. I will keep you informed. I think the competitor has to be mexican though! You guys are welcome to come anyway, i think the only expensive thing would be the plane ticket, because eating and staying and partying there is very cheap. The typical winds during this time range from 20-30 knots. It is a really nice spot, there is a lot of room for everyone. And from april 17-28 is easter break so everyone from the nearby city of merida flocks there for the vacations. The area is very safe, no problems at all, the food is very good.

The North american Mistral championship will be held here, check out the official page:

http://www.multired.net.mx//silcer2003

Think about it,
Andres Santacruz

tux
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lignano
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara CE BR
Style: wave
Gear: Naish Helix Limited '09 9 North rebel '09 9; vegas '08 9 , rhino '07 14
John Amundson Pro model '08 Hydro '08

Sorry for your tikets

Postby tux » Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:48 am

Sorry for your tikets guys,
Toby why don't we work to organize it here in Lignano?
I know the wind is not sure here, but the beer is, and that is fondamental.
Tux

tux
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lignano
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara CE BR
Style: wave
Gear: Naish Helix Limited '09 9 North rebel '09 9; vegas '08 9 , rhino '07 14
John Amundson Pro model '08 Hydro '08

Lignano

Postby tux » Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:29 am

Last edited by tux on Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:06 am, edited 9 times in total.

Hans Konermann.
Medium Poster

Postby Hans Konermann. » Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:57 pm

Return to “Kitesurfing”