Forum for kitesurfers
R a i n e r
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wave Directional from Spleene

Postby R a i n e r » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:09 am

Have you checked their site http://www.spleene.com ?
Awesome! Now they got a wave directional with full suspension tips. Definitely what I was waiting for: A directional with flexible rocker! :thumb:
'Can't wait to take this thing out in the waves!!

Take care!
Rainer (not the Rainer from Spleene Image)

HelldogBE
Very Frequent Poster

Postby HelldogBE » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:19 am

why would you want flex in a waveboard? not sure I understand where it helps!!! is it made sandwich style or what?
any pictures from the "rail"?

maybe they want to do more technical tricks with it, since it's pretty short??

in my experience u don't need any flex in a waveboard, or you're doing something to abuse it :lol:

R a i n e r
Frequent Poster

Postby R a i n e r » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:46 am

I've been building my own boards for years, now. The flexible ones have always been much better in surf than the stiffer ones.
The Spleene Zone is built in "snowboard technology" (like all other Spleene boards), but its rails are strongly rounded.
Its rocker is rather flat to make it go upwind earlier. Its center is kind of stiff but its tail is flexible, so you got more rocker each time you kick in a cut back.
It's definitely a new and unusual approach to build a wave directional this way, but I'm sure it will work out fine! I only held it in my hands, once. And as I said: Can't wait to test it!!

Take care
Rainer

SBBeachbum
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SBBeachbum » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:25 am

R a i n e r wrote:I've been building my own boards for years, now. The flexible ones have always been much better in surf than the stiffer ones.
The Spleene Zone is built in "snowboard technology" (like all other Spleene boards), but its rails are strongly rounded.
Its rocker is rather flat to make it go upwind earlier. Its center is kind of stiff but its tail is flexible, so you got more rocker each time you kick in a cut back.
It's definitely a new and unusual approach to build a wave directional this way, but I'm sure it will work out fine! I only held it in my hands, once. And as I said: Can't wait to test it!!

Take care
Rainer
Send a few to the west coast/CA and they will get tested.

R a i n e r
Frequent Poster

Postby R a i n e r » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:40 am

There you go! You guys sure got the right conditions to test a board like this! :thumb:
Rainer (the one from Spleene) told me they will be available in spring (whatever that means...Image)
As soon as I know anything more precise I'll post it.

take care
Rainer (not the one from Spleene Image)

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:08 pm

Why would you want flex in a wave board?

I can think of one damn good reason.
If the wind is sidesore after riding down the line your going to have to work your way upwind. A few fast long tacks on a ridgid board in strong wind and nasty chop and your knees are toast.

Also not many spots aropund here where you can drop into the waves whenever you want. They are always buisy so it would be nice to have a board that works nicely in strong chop and waves.

macca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby macca » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:15 pm

I think it looks a good shape and like the flex, to stiff and round rails are to bouncy in chop/surf. How many get the chance to ride glass type waves where a surfboard would work best, not many a iwould think.

Just not sure about those grahics, to much going on.

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeyAir » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:18 pm

Wow, that is small at 159cm. So it is really more in the style of the old Stretch Peter Trow model than a wave size (surf directional). This makes your coment on flex make more sense Fred. You don't want a flexy real size surf style board that you can actually paddle and surf kite with. This is probably what the other guys were thinking as well and we misunderstood. This thing is TT size\d. Sure looks cool and might just get by that airport guy.... Could be a real fun travel board with fat rails and thin center if that is in fact what it is. Similar to the old Stretch boards, then SS full size directional light wind. Rumor was that UG has some stuff in works along thes lines as well. Neat idea that can bring down construction costs. (Keep center snowboard tech and just add fat rails around it)
Let me know when you get one. Love to try it ;o)

R a i n e r
Frequent Poster

Postby R a i n e r » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:56 am

'Just talked to Rainer (the one from Spleene). Right now he's optimizing the final shape details incl. strap- and fin-positions for the "Zone". He is VERY picky concerning these things! :wink: That's the reason why the delivery date is still "spring 2007".
I'll keep you informed about any news!

Take care!
Rainer (not the one from Spleene)

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:59 am

@MonkeyAir

The orange board is an Underground prototype (5'8") of what you are talking about.
Should be available in three sizes (5'4", 5'8" and 6'0" or 6'2"... don't know for sure) soon!

More pics:
http://famousfrank.com/fotos/Surfboard- ... d_325.html

The prototype already rocks, but was not completely the same like the finished design will be.

Can't wait to get them!

Frank
http://www.famousfrank.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”