malaria in kenya- did you take tablets

Forum for kitesurfers
un-hooked
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

malaria in kenya- did you take tablets

Postby un-hooked » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:19 pm

im going to kenya in a couple of weeks and cant decide whether to take malarone tablets - did you? did you die?
Last edited by un-hooked on Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Safe_Cracker
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Safe_Cracker » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:04 pm

http://www.malaikatours.co.za/south-africa-malaria.php

Why in the world would anyone want to put themselves through this? BTW the waters are shark infested.... :thumb: Polo..

kitesurfbali
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom

Postby kitesurfbali » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:47 pm

Ciao un-hooked,
:thumb: super cool...
Malaria and not maleria!!!
I lived in Kenya for 6 months quite some time ago.
The fact is that if you know Malaria you can survive....
1- is transmitted by a Mosquito, female and pregnant... that sting around sunset till 9 pm.
2- if you use mosquito repellent and use long sleeve and long pants you will be very safe.
3- use air conditioning in your room and sleep under a mosquito net.
4- do not take any Malaria tablets that are not effective 1005 and will distroy your liver!!! I saw people suffering like hell cause they were taking this tablets.
5- the period of incubation is up to 40 days, so if after coming back from a place where Malaria is possible just go to the closer hospital\doctor and make blood analisys.

When I go to malaria infected places I'm so carefull that usually I never get even stung once by mozzis.
Bye Jankie

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:07 pm

What ever you do don't take Lariam. It is a particularly dangerous medication. United Press International did a series of article about it.
It can among other things cause long lasting psychological damage.

Here is a line from the Lariam 2004 US audience website (hidden deep down in the site)

"Mefloquine may cause psychiatric symptoms in a number of patients, ranging from anxiety, paranoia, and depression to hallucinations and psychotic behavior. On occasions, these symptoms have been reported to continue long after mefloquine has been stopped. "

Mefloquine was developed by Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, in 1963 and used extensively for US troops in Vietnam. This may help explain much of the PSychotic behaviour durring the Vietnam war and why so many vets had severe mental problems (far more than WW2 vets).

Take practical precautions but be ware of the drugs.

Cheers

Fred

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:42 pm

When I go to malaria infected places I'm so carefull that usually I never get even stung once by mozzis.
Bye Jankie
then it must be your blood...for sure they will get you somewhere!

Safe_Cracker
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Safe_Cracker » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:25 pm

Just curious what is the fascination of going to places like this? Surely there are other, more beutiful places to see where you could actually relax and enjoy yourself. Polo.. :o

un-hooked
Medium Poster

Postby un-hooked » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:34 pm

Safe_Cracker wrote:Just curious what is the fascination of going to places like this? Surely there are other, more beutiful places to see where you could actually relax and enjoy yourself. Polo.. :o
why wouldn't i relax? there's a risk of malaria im trying to decide if i should take the tablets or not - risk gone
:D

Safe_Cracker
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Safe_Cracker » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:41 pm

why wouldn't i relax? there's a risk of malaria im trying to decide if i should take the tablets or not - risk gone

Malaria is only the beginning of the risks! Polo..

un-hooked
Medium Poster

Postby un-hooked » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:47 pm

Safe_Cracker wrote:

Malaria is only the beginning of the risks! Polo..
you aint seen where i have to live - kenya should be a walk in the park:D

jonw179
Medium Poster

Postby jonw179 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:51 pm

Safe_Cracker, I presume you've never been to Africa... If you had you'd know why people go there. The water inshore of the reef along Diani Beach in Kenya is safe from sharks too...

un-hooked, I went to Galu on South Diani this time last year and chose to take Malarone with me, you don't have to take it for long beforehand and only a week after the holiday and it's the only anti malarial that's actually agreed with me. I would definitely recommend it personally, I've been into malaria zones every summer for the past 10 years and have seen people come down with it before, not a nice thing to get. I think it's worth the cost for the peace of mind-I got a couple of bites over the week mostly when we were out in the evening at restaurants etc, no problems in the daytime on the beach though, the wind keeps them at bay.

Luckily, if you're in the UK you'll find it very hard to get hold of Larium (my dad suffered for at least a year after he was given Larium for work trips), if cost is an issue then go for Doxycycline but you will need to take it for a while before/after the trip. I'd go for Malarone every time, it's expensive but really convenient and as I said above it's the only one that I haven't had any after effects from, but that's a personal thing.

Enjoy your trip, if you aren't staying there then try to get down to Galu and go on one of the downwinders, they are an amazing experience.

Return to “Kitesurfing”