Prices

Forum for kitesurfers
MeafordBoarder
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby MeafordBoarder » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:06 am

What youre talking about is called "Penetration Pricing"-Industry Term :lol:

Best used this quite well, but now has established market share and can compete closely with other brands.

But like SQwhatever said, Its not Best who are the demons of this scenario, Its quite simply-us. If we don't buy the kites, the prices go down, If we keep buying them whatever the price, the prices go up.

If you were running a kiteboarding business, Your foremost aim (Unless youre motivated by some higher calling because youre a kiteboarder and want to provide "quality products designed by kiteboarders for kiteboarders" (Like used in every single ad ever made for a sport)) :roll: to make money, its that simple. If the dumb idiots on the beach are willing to pay 2 grand for a kite, why not? Its profit.

sorry, but whining about this isnt going to change it, the only thing to do is boycott all kiteboarding products to bring the prices down...which I do not think is going to happen anytime soon :thumb:

MeafordBoarder
Frequent Poster

Postby MeafordBoarder » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:08 am

Repost :oops:
Last edited by MeafordBoarder on Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kitegrommet » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:40 am

Hurricane Proof Construction, competitive prices..

ECLIPSE KITES

Chameleon and a Nano for the price of a Cab or Waroo Pro...

Others will follow,

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:00 am

kitegrommet wrote:Hurricane Proof Construction, competitive prices..

ECLIPSE KITES

Chameleon and a Nano for the price of a Cab or Waroo Pro...

Others will follow,
The prices I have seen is at the same level as everyone else.
13 m Chameleon + bar and lines for $1300....not including shipping.

I still say ride the kites first, then decide. Doing so completely changed my way of kiting, and looking at the products. In my opinion there is an ocean of difference in quality, design and performance between different brands.

I agree that people are different and therefore have different priorities, but for me kiting changed when I bought my new Naish kites...I'm, if possible, even more stoked now.

a.

kiterfighter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiterfighter » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:48 am

Prices are too high. I refuse to drop $1000 + on a single kite. Dont give a frick what indusrty does, if they want to sell kites they better get off the gravy train. I know lots of people who refuse to pay the 1000 + prices anymore. Kites are a perishable item and not fine art. At least a good board lasts a few seasons.

With the coming recession, (yes the make believe Bush economy is near its end) thier will be a lot less money for kites. Probably why Cab introduced the Omega.
Last edited by kiterfighter on Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sea&Sun » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:00 am

You can get great deals on ebay. This can be the cheapest sport if you do it correctly. But if you got the bucks it is nice to get the latest and greatest. I had four kites and three boards I bought on ebay used them for a season, then sold them and made a few bucks. Every time you buy a kite it puts $5 in a china boys pocket for a week of work.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:32 am

Starting a new product at a low price is a strategy used worldwide to gain market share, you can't blame Best for using it, its hardly unethical nor incorrect business practice and no doubt it has gained them a fair share of the market so it can be considered very successful. Those of you who chose to move to the brand can only blame yourselves if you thought they would continue to offer the 2 - 1 deals forever, it was never going to happen as long as demand was high enough, this is capitalism we are talking about here.

Companies choose different strategies and no doubt, if Best loses market they may be pushed into other areas of tactical marketing, but clearly now Best seems out to prove it can compete with the competition on quality (new best bar is far better than previous ones) and this is taking them a little different and more expensive route. Given the lack of quality from Cabrinha on the latest bows with seam blowouts occuring, I don't think anyone could argue that the Best's aren't value for money even at the current pricing, particularly given the A$2000 price tag for a Cab vs the A$1500 odd price tag for a comparable Best. That doesn't of course mean its matching the best on the market, comparing the Best side by side with boards like the Nobile and it becomes clear that there are brands capable of producing top quality at a price.

tommykite
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby tommykite » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:24 am

I use Ebay to get my kites to...
This year I had enough money to buy new and I managed to get a 10M an a 14M Switchblade2 with everything for £650 each new, from two differnt auctions.

I was very happy of course, there are some super bargains to be had new and used. If you look hard enough and know what you want you can find it.

Ebay rules! :thumb:

gumball
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gumball » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:01 am

I had a hunch in 2004 that things would work out for the BEST :D

harppa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Epic spots of the northshores of Finland
Gear: Eleveight kites, Brunotti boards, ION neoprene and Moses hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Running a school and importing Eleveight, Brunotti, Peter Lynn, ION, Shark SUP and few others.

Postby harppa » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:33 am

Well you can really find good deals if you do some searching. I bought 2 kites last year. 16m shockwave for 550€ 9m shockwave for 500€ both complete. And last week I got 05 raven with 07 Naish DD-shift bar for 400€
It´s all about searching for good bargains :)
Surely if you want to have the newes of the new it is a different story.

Return to “Kitesurfing”