Hotels in Hawaii - Maui or Oahu?

Forum for kitesurfers
teamsketch
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hotels in Hawaii - Maui or Oahu?

Postby teamsketch » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:13 pm

My wife and I are planning a trip to Hawaii for one week late April. Can anyone suggest which island and accomodations? My wife cannot surf right now(pregnant), so she will need a comfortable place where she can hang if I surf or kite. This won't be a "surf widow" trip, so we're looking for a short, laid back vacation. I've been to Maui in 1997 and have stayed in a home in Paia, but I think a nice hotel may be easier for the pregnant wife situation. Any suggestions appreciated...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:14 pm

well late april might be good here, but unstable and no wind guarantee. There's more guarantee, but I guess kitebeach isn't super nice for relaxing.

There are plenty hotels all over the islands...some might even say too many.
If you're looking something a little more quiet there are rentals on the north shore...
check out http://www.affordable-paradise.com for lot's of B&B and vacation homes for a good price.

We had some friends staying at Keiki beach on the North Shore which was very nice. Not too far from Mokuleia...but far from most other things...late April you might be lucky for some late swells...but it is usually down quite a bit by then....

Also in Waikiki there are some resorts, but it is hard to know what price range you're looking for....and very busy.

teamsketch
Rare Poster

thanks

Postby teamsketch » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:25 am

Thanks for the reply. I stayed at a small 1 bedroom rental in Paia right down the street from Mama's in 97. It was very quiet and close to all the shops(wife). I'll check out your link... :bye:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:51 am

if you are mostly after kiting, and some family fun I'd go to Maui, at least of you want to stay away from the crowds, I'd go to Paia again :-)
The wind is more stable there. In anycase, it does depend on what you like to do.

a.

Halomon
Frequent Poster

Postby Halomon » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:57 am

Yo, Sketchmon; ya'all should take Taus advice and come to Maui; plenty nice hotels and CONDOS to park mama while you cruise the north shore for wind which by the way can be pretty good in late April. Yep, nothing's garantee but chances are you will score some sessions. Bring a 9 and a 12 and a 7 if you can. Good combo for Maui. Cheers

five
Medium Poster

Postby five » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:13 am

Have had good luck getting vacation rentals through vrbo. Check out some on the North Shore: http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/us ... orth-shore. No hotels in Oahu except in Honolulu...must get B&B's or vac rentals. PM me if you want some personal recs. Wind is not as reliable but might still get some good surf.

Maui rips too of course...

teamsketch
Rare Poster

Maui sounds like a good choice...

Postby teamsketch » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:22 am

thanks for the tips. I haven't been to Maui in a long time, but I remember a relaxed stay in Paia, with surfing in Hookipa in the morning and sailing kanaha in the afternoons. My wife has never been to Maui, so I think she'll love it even though it's only for one week.

karen
Medium Poster

maui accommodations

Postby karen » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:53 am

If you decide on Maui, check out
http://www.hookiparental.com/reservations.php
for nice accommodations on the North Shore.

Enjoy! Should be great no matter what the weather brings!

Cheers!
Karen

teamsketch
Rare Poster

Stashing board and kites in gold bag...

Postby teamsketch » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:00 pm

going to Maui. Haiku and Paia sounds great. Thanks for all the ideas. Since we're only going for a week, I plan on renting a surfboard. I hate paying for extra baggage fees. I'm bringing my kite gear in a Callaway golf bag. My 132 LF Drop barely fits and hopefully so will my 9m and 12m Switchblades. Are the airlines getting wise to the golf bag game? I may throw in a few golf clubs in case they inspect it.

Mauicharles
Rare Poster

Postby Mauicharles » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:16 pm

Hey Karen

Thank you so much for the referral.

I just sent teamskecth a message.

Aloha

Charles

Return to “Kitesurfing”