Forum for kitesurfers
JKicker
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha Omega (bow/hybrid in general?) sheeting question

Postby JKicker » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:12 pm

I recently took a lesson behind the Cabrinha Omega and found that when the kite is really low sheeting in actually seems to rob the kite of all its power and to gain power you have to sheet out about halfway...

I don't have much experience with bow/hybrids so maybe this is how they all are- but it seemed slightly counter-intuitive from all of the training videos I've watched...

The same mechanic applies when relaunching the kite. You have to sheet in real hard on one side until it turns over, but to actually launch the kite you have to sheet out about halfway and then it takes off.

I'm sure I'll get used to the mechanic in no time...but I'm just trying to wrap my mind around why it works like this...any help would be appreciated! :bye:

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:20 pm

you've got it right.... same with any kite. If you oversheet the poor kite chokes and loses power. :thumb:

munteruk
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby munteruk » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:22 am

Kiting on sheetable kites has similarities to sailing. If you undersheet you will not deflect the airflow much and the power will be low. If you oversheet the air will stop flowing around the kite in the correct manner and the power will be reduced.
You'll quickly learn to recognise when you have too much bar pulled in from the reduced speed across the window. Learning how to sheet your kite correctly will give you wider wind range as you'll be able to extract a lower low-end.

paul m
Frequent Poster
Style: kook
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: cabrinha

Postby paul m » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:33 am

I have seen that a few times, bad kite adjustment.....you flying it on the pulley or non pulley?

The knots make a big difference as well for the winds, i dont find that problem at all. let me know

aloha Paul

Return to “Kitesurfing”