Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Bar failure - please check your equipment!

Forum for kitesurfers
bleighty
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bar failure - please check your equipment!

Postby bleighty » Fri May 18, 2007 10:40 pm

First and foremost I want to thank Simon from BEST for his quick response to my issue. I emailed him directly with photos and he responded immediately and was able to work with me on a solution that I felt was fair.

I decided to post this because others in my area have found the same types of problems with their bars from other companies. This is NOT specific to the waroo bar or BEST bars at all. All bars that are built with screws holding endcaps in place need to be inspected. I got off so LUCKY .. I keep having flashes of what might have happened in many different scenarios and it could have been so much worse.

The abbreviated story: Waroo bar endcap came seperated on right side as I was riding in 25+ wind...kite looped out of control (I was leashed to CL.. not to outside line).. as it looped it built up power and I had no choice but to ditch the kite.. Kite took flight and headed straight up and towards a 6 lane highway only to be caught on the very last set of mangrove trees boardering the road. I had to climb tree and cut lines to get the kite that somehow ended up ok.

Upon inspection, it was the screw that holds the bar endcap in place that had deteriorated and broke.. (see pics in link below)...
I attempted to unscrew the other side to investigate how it was looking and in one turn of the screw, the head broke off. This side was ready to go at anytime.

I posted this to my local forum and have received a couple responses from folks that they are seeing the exact same wear on their NON-BEST bars.. GK Sonic to be exact.

Simon mentioned that this could be something either with improper storing habits ..(I keep a plastic tub with all my gear in my truck and it can probably get humid... I am going to keep my bar rig seperate from now on to make sure it dries.. always seemed to be fine and dry but just to be safe.) ... or it could be due to environmental issues with the water / conditions I ride in...

All I know is that the deterioration of the screw occurred and I dont see this on my 2004 BEST bars that I have and still use a lot as well with a waroo upgrade kit. I need to unscrew the bar to make sure and prob will replace the screws just to be 100% safe.

Please check your bars for wear if yours is made this way..

My accident could have been so much worse .. days before I was boosting larger than I'd ever been before and could not imagine what would have happened if this had come apart 25 feet in the air..worse yet.. if the kite had not snagged the trees and gone into the freeway.. or into a person.. or.. or..

Ya.. I got off super lucky.

A kick-to-the-ass reminder to check all your gear as often as possible for discoloration or wear.

Here's the pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryanleigh ... 210967082/

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Postby tswierkocki » Fri May 18, 2007 10:53 pm

Simple answer. Galvanic corrosion between the carbon fiber and steel screw.

Rinse your bar with fresh water and let it dry out between each use.

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/Corrosion.cfm

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedude » Fri May 18, 2007 11:05 pm

All bars that are built with screws holding endcaps in place need to be inspected.
not all bars take a look, i'm sure you were told all bars are made like this but the truth of the matter is that they are not

bleighty
Frequent Poster

Postby bleighty » Sat May 19, 2007 12:02 am

Kitedude wrote:
All bars that are built with screws holding endcaps in place need to be inspected.
not all bars take a look, i'm sure you were told all bars are made like this but the truth of the matter is that they are not

dude..

read my quote slower..

:)

i know all bars are not built that way..

but...(slowly now..)

All bars that are built with screws that hold the endcaps need to be inspected.

sounds like i am repeating myself.. haha.

bleighty
Frequent Poster

Postby bleighty » Sat May 19, 2007 12:06 am

tswierkocki wrote:Simple answer. Galvanic corrosion between the carbon fiber and steel screw.

Rinse your bar with fresh water and let it dry out between each use.

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/Corrosion.cfm
i agree 10000%...

but i'd bet $$$$ that most dont look for this or know that they have potential issues with their gear from improper habits over a long period of time..

Just putting my experience out there..

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eldadgold » Sat May 19, 2007 12:17 am

i had to replace my endcap at a naish 2006 bar. even if the cap falls of there is no way the line will come of. the line goes through the bar and has a loop that closes on it self. all bars should be like this.

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Sat May 19, 2007 12:19 am

A simple fix is to take off the bar ends and reseat them with adhesive silicon, then put the screws in before the silicon goes off.

End result water cant get down into the bar end and corrode screw, and bar end wont come off if the screw fails.

I have fixed bars like this over the years and it works well :thumb:

munteruk
Frequent Poster

Postby munteruk » Sat May 19, 2007 12:23 am

Thanks for the heads-up. I think I'll add a bar check to my weekend to-do list...

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Sat May 19, 2007 2:56 am

Kevin Salter wrote:A simple fix is to take off the bar ends and reseat them with adhesive silicon, then put the screws in before the silicon goes off.

End result water cant get down into the bar end and corrode screw, and bar end wont come off if the screw fails.

I have fixed bars like this over the years and it works well :thumb:
Stupid question for Best: why aren't they made like this in the first place?

Skyway Scott

Postby Skyway Scott » Sat May 19, 2007 3:33 am

Good question.

Return to “Kitesurfing”