Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New Naish Helix Pics...

Forum for kitesurfers
bugarboy
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bugarboy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:14 am

i am amazed at this new helix kite. so different and so beautiful.
can't wait to get my hands on one!

:cool2:

Fer1000er
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Takoon

Postby Fer1000er » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:24 am

UUAUU!!, this kite looks so different, I can not clearly see the advantages...but anyway...I'm just a simple rider.

What I can see Is such a risky move from Naish, either the Industry follows this tendency because this kite is superb, or we have another Hell Fish....

I still remember when I saw a bow the first time...I said "such an ugly kite", and now I'm in love with it.

Always nice to see the industry pushing the envelope !

munteruk
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby munteruk » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:52 am

The proof will be in the testing. Any comment on aesthetics isn't really as important as how the thing flies.

I like the depower comment and agree that by moving the center of pressure aft you could potentially achieve more depower. Would it result in too much back line/ bar pressure though? Also - is the profile stable when depowered?

Anyway - good luck to naish - I hope they've come up with a design that progresses the sport and leads to better performing kites.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:08 am

munteruk writes, "I hope they've come up with a design that progresses the sport and leads to better performing kites."

I think we all hope for this but will it be true? Do kite companies make kites based on performance or projected sales? I think Naish has more integrity than most companies out there but some obvious questions pop into my mind.

It's great for Naish if it truly offers performance advantages but more depower? How much fuckin depower do you need? Will all those angle joints be more prone to failure? Is it expensive to make? Will lines get caught in those notches when the kite is down in the waves? Will it be seen as a gimmick in a crowded bow market? Will it twist and tangle on itself? Big gamble by Naish I'd say. Hope it works good and it's good to try all the possibilities so more power to em for sticking their neck out there but...........

The more variations of the bow/sle/hybrid I see the more I like my four line C. I'll give one an honest try if I get the chance though. Wonder how it flies on a fixed bar.

Nino_fs
Medium Poster

Postby Nino_fs » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:04 am

surfingwithkites wrote:munteruk writes, "I hope they've come up with a design that progresses the sport and leads to better performing kites."

I think we all hope for this but will it be true? Do kite companies make kites based on performance or projected sales? I think Naish has more integrity than most companies out there but some obvious questions pop into my mind.

It's great for Naish if it truly offers performance advantages but more depower? How much fuckin depower do you need? Will all those angle joints be more prone to failure? Is it expensive to make? Will lines get caught in those notches when the kite is down in the waves? Will it be seen as a gimmick in a crowded bow market? Will it twist and tangle on itself? Big gamble by Naish I'd say. Hope it works good and it's good to try all the possibilities so more power to em for sticking their neck out there but...........

The more variations of the bow/sle/hybrid I see the more I like my four line C. I'll give one an honest try if I get the chance though. Wonder how it flies on a fixed bar.
My point with the depower was not that we need more than bows. But that it might be possible to get the safety of "drop the bar loose the power" that bows and sle are so popular for but retain the fly characteristics of the C kite.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:35 am

hope you are right. time will tell.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:53 am

hey guys..

I think the kite makes sense. After chatting with people there, the reason for the shape is to put the major part of the weight to the center of where the kite moves (they had a better explanation, but I can't remember everything), which removes the overflying, and shooting back and forth in the window, the kite was screaming upwind....

There was a meeting there...and the beach was filled up with the new line and people...

I think the kite is really good looking in the air.
The kite has more feeling through the depower, so there is less of the on off feeling bows have. Also the kite doesn't seem to have anything that bends...a lot of straight lines, that removed fluttering the canopy looked really solid.
...sort of like those stealth fighters. The new shape looks a lot more like a wing than any kite I have seen before.
Also I had two sizes (I think 7 and 9) out in varying winds today, and yay it's a jumper!!!!
I think it comes with 2:1 or 1:1 on a redesigned bar. There was a lot of stuff!!!!! going on there for sure. The 1:1 was really smooth and very light on the bar, which had a movable stopper.

Some of the guys jumping today were going high!!! I wish I took more pics, but I had to run :-)

A.
Attachments
windTileV3.jpg
windTileV3.jpg (48.92 KiB) Viewed 4458 times

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:58 am

surfingwithkites wrote:helix looks like cosmetic changes on what is being made now. Heins idea looks theoretically cool and at least it is different
Actually I think looked like more than cosmetic changes. The kite didn't seem to have much curving parts, I guess except the end of the leading edge...which makes the canopy really stiff.

A.

schmoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby schmoe » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:01 am

Ahha, stealth kite. Invisible to radar. Used by marines?

:)

I cant tell form the pictures, but is it round from a front view, with a dent in the LE in the top view, or is it actually looking like W from the front?

An advantage of the round leading edges is load distribution, those angles are stress points. Nothing that cannot be solved with more fabric (=more weight?).

bkiter
Medium Poster

Postby bkiter » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:33 am

What is the kite going to be marketed as , a surf kite , freestyle kite or a kite that produces big airs or have they finally designed a kite that does everything well.

How is the wind range will it have an increased wind range better than bow kites.

Cant wait to try one.

Return to “Kitesurfing”