Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fatality in Santa Cruz

Forum for kitesurfers
gideonlow
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Waddell Creek
Favorite Beaches: Scott Creek, Waddell Creek, Santa Maria's (26th Ave)
Style: Surf
Gear: Peter Lynn Kites, custom TT and surf boards, custom bars.
Brand Affiliation: Monkey Air Kitesurfing
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fatality in Santa Cruz

Postby gideonlow » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:29 am

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archiv ... eaking.htm

Another unfortunate tragedy. Another one that was preventable. We need more details for any definitive analysis, but winds yesterday (while I was on the water) quickly rose from high teens to close to 30. This beach is about the worst place you could ever use for beach practice--shadowed from the wind and thus very gusty/shifty:

http://www.visitusa.com/california/imag ... h-view.jpg

When is the commercial part of our sport going to get its act together to start promoting helmet use? Will we ever see pros setting an example? Will we ever see magazines setting an example? Do mountain biking magazines show pros flying down a mountain without a helmet? How many more have to die?

Gideon

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:52 am

sorry to hear this.

My condolences to the family, friends and fellow kiters.

Please let us know exact details once you know so we can learn from this.

Toby

Greg7
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Greg7 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:59 am

My condolences as well.

Regarding helmets, unfortunately they are "uncool" and you are never going to get a general consensus on them, but that aside, most fatalities wouldn't require a helmet if they hadn't been in a stupid spot to begin with.

Unfortunately, most fatal kiting accidents lack common sense.

IMO you shouldn't be practicing on a beach with a kite strong enough to lift or even strongly drag you.

If you want to practice, get out in the water, if you can't get out in the water, get a smaller kite.

My instructor had me 200 yards out, and it was a PITA walking back out after each time I practiced, but it really saved my ass.

One time I knew that noon was "neutral", however, being new, I didn't realize if you jam to noon it would loft you.

I was about to get in trouble with the kite, and since noon was "safe" and "neutral", i cranked it as hard as I could, a second later I was 12 feet in the air :P

On land it would have been a disaster, where we were it just startled me for a moment.

It isn't just a newbie issue either, I see veterans coming on shore fully hooked with almost onshore winds. It is a minor gamble, but a gamble nonetheless.

I will give anyone a hundred bucks if they can go to a beach with a bunch of regulars and strong wind and watch for a couple of hours without spotting several potentially fatal stupid moves.

It happens everywhere all the time...

Morfin
Frequent Poster

Postby Morfin » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:22 am

My sincere condolences to the family and friends. Take care of your beaches and fellow kiters!

K2ripper
Rare Poster

Postby K2ripper » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:25 am

So sad, and only 18 years old. What a tragedy and a waste of such a young life. My best wishes to all who knew him.

As far as helmets not being "cool", enough already! Why don't we all just stop saying "helmts are not cool" ( I wear one and I look like a total dork but I don' give a crap) and instead say "helmuts are cool (and smart) to wear", and maybe more people will start to wear them and perhaps a few people will avoid severe injury or death because of it. Five years ago only ski racers wore helmets, anyone else who did was a "kook", nowadays, almost all good skiers and boarders wear them, and there is a coolness factor about wearing them, i.e. I rip so I need protection.

:thumb:

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Fatality in Santa Cruz

Postby FredBGG » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:47 am

gideonlow wrote:http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archiv ... eaking.htm

Another unfortunate tragedy. Another one that was preventable. We need more details for any definitive analysis, but winds yesterday (while I was on the water) quickly rose from high teens to close to 30. This beach is about the worst place you could ever use for beach practice--shadowed from the wind and thus very gusty/shifty:

http://www.visitusa.com/california/imag ... h-view.jpg

When is the commercial part of our sport going to get its act together to start promoting helmet use? Will we ever see pros setting an example? Will we ever see magazines setting an example? Do mountain biking magazines show pros flying down a mountain without a helmet? How many more have to die?

Gideon
Sorry to hear about the accident.

I also completely agree with you Gideon.

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:00 am

K2ripper wrote:So sad, and only 18 years old. What a tragedy and a waste of such a young life. My best wishes to all who knew him.

As far as helmets not being "cool", enough already! Why don't we all just stop saying "helmts are not cool" ( I wear one and I look like a total dork but I don' give a crap) and instead say "helmuts are cool (and smart) to wear", and maybe more people will start to wear them and perhaps a few people will avoid severe injury or death because of it. Five years ago only ski racers wore helmets, anyone else who did was a "kook", nowadays, almost all good skiers and boarders wear them, and there is a coolness factor about wearing them, i.e. I rip so I need protection.

:thumb:
I agree. I used to feel like a complete dork being the only one on my beach with a helmet. Then a Dr friend who kites told me that he had a kiting accident (head injury) that took him out of action for a year and almost required brain surgery. So, now I don't feel like a dork - I feel bad for the kiters who put themselves at higher risk by not wearing one. That's my silver helmet I am wearing in my avatar - and glad to have it. Everyone should wear one - just like a seatbelt in a car.

Ed

Klaus (c:E
Very Frequent Poster
Style: lousy
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Klaus (c:E » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:03 pm

Hai,

Condolences to his friends and relatives.

I prefer to tell students about safety and seamenship because of what could happen though. Sad story.

Sea You: Klaus (c:E

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eldadgold » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:41 pm

sorry to hear this. condolences to the family and friends.

maybe if the companies will put an effort in it and make some cool helmets for decent prices we will all wear one. the ones that are out today are so uncomfortable and so ugly...

vwsurftrip
Rare Poster

Postby vwsurftrip » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:14 pm

What a fu_king shame. 18 years old. I am a high school teacher and it breaks my heart to think when someone so young perishes (this applies to our wonderful war) I am a beginner myself, and I have to admit that it seems awkward to me when I tell people that you need to have respect for the kite. I always thought of kites nostalgically as something kids play with at the beach, not something that can hand as your ass to you on a platter before you can blink an eye. I will start wearing a helmet.

Return to “Kitesurfing”