Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

EH Rippehr, bow or ultra flat?

Forum for kitesurfers
JS
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby JS » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm

I'm happy to see EH in the spotlight. EH is an interesting gent, with an interesting story, doing interesting things.

I'm also happy to see the success of some new faces, with newer generation kites, at the top of competition.

Until recently, a small circle of well sponsored riders have been able to continue flying status quo C-kites, without much threat of being bumped out of the club.

But suddenly things are a little different. Now you gotta wonder about the wisdom of clinging to old technology while other top riders enjoy new sponsorship opportunities to exploit more progressive equipment. How long do you delay embracing newer, more efficient designs while hoping that the new guys will just go away?

Have a great weekend,
James

brunolgx
Frequent Poster

Postby brunolgx » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:58 pm

Hansen Aerosports wrote: I think plenty of designers understand the 'concept.'
Did I say the contrary ?
Should I have said to be sure you understand or don't put my sentence out of context :
"I confirm, Eric is one of the few designers who have AT THE SAME TIME
1/ understood the essence of the concept,
2/ believe in it and
3/ go their own way inside it. "
And, with all due respect to your contributions to the sport, I agree that plenty of options and progress exist, within your 'concept' and without. That is the essence of innovation, competition and free enterprise.
Best regards,
- Bill Hansen
Great !

dirkydiggler
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby dirkydiggler » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:12 pm

Thanks for the responses. I got a lot more out of that question than I could've imagined. Very nice to see some of the designers speak about their ideas in a constructive manner for a change. Usually it is the other forum members that stir things up and take thing off topic!. None of that Bow kites/C kites are better crap.
Also the pics posted on Flickr were some of the only company pics that I've seen that actually show the kite design. You usually see some small kite in the air with only the rider pictured. Very refreshing to see! Now if I could just find a place in the states that sells them!
After riding the Wind-x ultra flat kite, I am a firm believer in the concept. Wonderful kite design. It would have saved me some serious headaches to learn on that kite, not to mention the danger. Relaunch, power, stability, hang time, wind range are some of the best I've experienced.
That being said, what differences do you see between the Eze kite and Bruno's? Obviously the Eze has fewer struts and lack of spacing between canopy and struts. What are some of the other aspects?
Another question would be if your Rippehr is already a super flat/ high aspect kite, were you really able to get the 6.5 Eze to have the same low end as it does, or is this based on the older version of the Rippehr?
One of the pics on Flickr also looks like there are no pulleys and one that shows what looks like a pulley on the rear line bridle. Will you clarify if the kite has pulleys?
The last statement that piked my curiosity is how you are obtaining your depower ratios. Are you doing this through the kite, bar or both?
Thanks again for the insightful comments about your kite designs. It is exciting to see the progress you've made in such a short time. I know I speak for most kiters when I say that I owe most of my kite progress and the fun that it brings to your work. Many thanks,
Digg

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:12 am

dirkydiggler wrote: One of the pics on Flickr also looks like there are no pulleys and one that shows what looks like a pulley on the rear line bridle. Will you clarify if the kite has pulleys?

Digg
can't really comment on the rest but wrt the pulley question...

the Ripper has a pulley on the rear bridle only....no pulleys on the front bridle or at the bar end....

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:18 am

JS, you're a smart well spoken gent yourself but this
"Until recently, a small circle of well sponsored riders have been able to continue flying status quo C-kites, without much threat of being bumped out of the club.

But suddenly things are a little different. Now you gotta wonder about the wisdom of clinging to old technology while other top riders enjoy new sponsorship opportunities to exploit more progressive equipment. How long do you delay embracing newer, more efficient designs while hoping that the new guys will just go away? "

Is pretty funny. I think you are a bit off on a few points.

1. They aren't that well sponsored
2. As pro athletes don't you think it is more likely that they make performance based decisions about their kites? Especially when their sponsors would probably love it if they all rode the "new" kites
3. "suddenly things are a little different"? very, very, very slightly different at this point I'd say. One rider winning at his local break is just that.
4. I don't think anyone is "clinging to old technology" they are just choosing kites well suited for their discipline
5. "how long do you delay embracing newer, more efficient designs"? Well, you might delay that embrace for a long, long time if contests are based on something other than "effeciency". Maybe comfy cruising flat kites are not what the top freestylers or waveriders need?
6. As for "hoping the new guys go away" What are you talking about? Who are these new guys raising the performance level of the sport on these new kites? Where are they hiding? And who wants them to go away? Sounds like some kind of conspiracy theory?

I'd be happy if such kiters existed and could turn the sport on its head but I think you are dreaming.

schmoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby schmoe » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:42 pm

JS wrote:I'm happy to see EH in the spotlight. EH is an interesting gent, with an interesting story, doing interesting things.

I'm also happy to see the success of some new faces, with newer generation kites, at the top of competition.

Until recently, a small circle of well sponsored riders have been able to continue flying status quo C-kites, without much threat of being bumped out of the club.

But suddenly things are a little different. Now you gotta wonder about the wisdom of clinging to old technology while other top riders enjoy new sponsorship opportunities to exploit more progressive equipment. How long do you delay embracing newer, more efficient designs while hoping that the new guys will just go away?

Have a great weekend,
James
Why do pro riders want to keep the status quo? I always thought they just want to win.

I've heard Hadlow and Lenten met in a dark alley and agreed not to fly high depower kites, even when they ride for companies that make them.

And I also believe slingshot would be very happy if Lenten chose the turbo diesel and kept winning.
But unfortunately for them he made this secret deal with Hadlow and the rest of the PKRA top riders. I wonder what else they agreed in that dark alley. No seat harness? No more than two kite loops? These guys are clearly working against the companies that pay their bread and the kite boarding community that pays the companies that pay them.

EH, is there any way to see those on US soil or is it only for the lucky ones that happen to be in Cabaret? Designs look great.

EricHertsens
Rare Poster

Postby EricHertsens » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:58 pm

schmoe wrote:
EH, is there any way to see those on US soil or is it only for the lucky ones that happen to be in Cabaret? Designs look great.
Yes, we are working hard to get everything ready, in a couple of weeks a new USA brand launches from Florida. They will use our latest Ripper and Beast designs and later will cary teh ultra flat Eze designs.

More on this later when they have their sites up and running.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:26 am

EricHertsens wrote:
schmoe wrote:
Yes, we are working hard to get everything ready, in a couple of weeks a new USA brand launches from Florida. They will use our latest Ripper and Beast designs and later will cary teh ultra flat Eze designs.

More on this later when they have their sites up and running.
Oh, wow just like Best started out...and in the same state... This should be interesting. Do you know the name?

A.

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:16 am

Well, someone understands the concept even before patent... Original post here.

:bye:

Kirk123
Medium Poster

Postby Kirk123 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:56 am

Good work Gigi! I don't think any of this matter until Bruno sues a manufacturer (don't think it will ever happen) and the lawyer will bring all this out to to support the defense.

Return to “Kitesurfing”