duinkiter_rod
Medium Poster
Style: freestyle/wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby duinkiter_rod » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:47 am

:bye:
Last edited by duinkiter_rod on Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Experimental player
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Experimental player » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:52 pm

I've seen this inverting stuff a lot.
Usually when a bridle kite lands in a strange position it will leap off the water and do some amazingly freaky stuff.
:wink:

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby blowhard » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:12 pm

oh it ain't BS.
My waroo 7.0 inverted almost the the first time I took it out ,
Like an Idiot I was using a kite that was a couple sizes too big
after being on c types for years
the first time I went down the line and went to harden up and sail back upwind the Waroo became unwound .
It started when Just as the EP. stated ,I swung the kite around from dead downwind to hard on the wind and when I did the lower wingtip became stalled from there it just unwound 3 times before letting go.
The kite flipped over and tacoed repeatdly ,I was standing in about 3 feet of water watching and finally decided that it would not recover
NOW I rig the trim loop to never let out the kite all the way,
feels a lot more like a C type and never trim it to flap when depowered.
Swinging the kite hard through the window with slack rear lines will for sure unwind these kites.
That was last season since trimming them properly it's never happened again .
I fly them in thier sweet spot (just like a C-type)
I think that folks who try to use them out of thier sweet spot are asking for trouble if they do anything but hold them still.
Still good kites .The new ones with all the battens are much more stable when depowered beyond thier range
Very happy I'm helping kite design progress

tommykite
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby tommykite » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:45 pm

You can invert any kite if you fly it badly enough FACT!
Everybody STOP posting back to this Experimental twat he's a broken record FACT!

:thumb:

spork
Very Frequent Poster

Postby spork » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:09 pm

tommykite wrote:You can invert any kite if you fly it badly enough FACT!
I'm not certain that's true - but it may be.
Everybody STOP posting back to this Experimental twat he's a broken record FACT!
No question about this.

EricHertsens
Rare Poster

Postby EricHertsens » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:53 pm

duinkiter_rod wrote:
Rockstar wrote:Looks more like it has been released to the safety.
checked with my people in Belgium, this happened when one of the lines broke...
This was not an invertion.

Duinkiter dank u well voor uw help, shoon gedaan ...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:20 am

in all this I am wondering why we as bow / sle riders are so defensive about the kite inverting.
I can understand EH being defensive, it is his kite (especially if he has a different experience) :-) but all us who rides kites should be glad when someone gives us information about the kites we ride.

Let me take an example. I have never seen a Shockwave invert..ever. I have tried to get mine to do so, but the kite just would not invert the way some other kites would. Now I read that some guy said he had seen one invert. My first comment would be ok I stand corrected. Done. I could have started flaming the guy telling him that he was a bad rider, that he had done something wrong, that there must be some big scheme to discredit the kite, but I'd be more interested in how it happened.

Why not just ask, what happened? How did it do this so I can avoid ending in the same situation? Get the the information, but there is no need to be defensive about it. After all we are just riding the kites, and should be more preoccupied in getting information about how the behave than defending it. I mean I have still not seen a Shockwave kite invert, but have heard (hypothetically) that it can happen.... If I know that a specific kite can invert by doing something, it really is something I would like to know so I can avoid ending up in the situation.

A.

EricHertsens
Rare Poster

Postby EricHertsens » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:44 pm

duinkiter_rod wrote:and i don't have a video of what hapenned ...
People this is a 14 year old boy from Belgium.... take that in consideration..

EricHertsens
Rare Poster

Postby EricHertsens » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:54 pm

tautologies wrote: Why not just ask, what happened? How did it do this so I can avoid ending in the same situation? Get the the information, but there is no need to be defensive about it. After all we are just riding the kites, and should be more preoccupied in getting information about how the behave than defending it. I mean I have still not seen a Shockwave kite invert, but have heard (hypothetically) that it can happen.... If I know that a specific kite can invert by doing something, it really is something I would like to know so I can avoid ending up in the situation.

A.
I have spend lots time studying most SLE and Bow type kites on our Cabarete waters, my observations are.

Most of the "older" bow and SLE designs invert because of to loose rear lines or sudden depower in strong gusty wind or turbulence from other kites. This is easily avoided by keeping a slight pressure on the steering lines by either a stopper ball or by hand by being conscious about it.
This inverting was one of the reasons that I initially was against this type of kite. However several of my colleagues plus myself have solved these problems. Today modern bow designs do not invert anymore. I honestly have to say that I never seen one of our kites invert in flight when properly rigged.

EH
Last edited by EricHertsens on Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duinkiter_rod
Medium Poster
Style: freestyle/wakestyle

Postby duinkiter_rod » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:12 pm

one last thing i would liketo say is that the EH beast is a great kite.
I've tried it today and it's sooo fast!
i could go upwind with the 8m² today when there just wasn't enough for my crossbow 2 9m². So Mr. Hertsens: the low - end of the EH beast is GREAT. If someone doesn't believe me, just try it! :thumb:

and once more it's REALLY fast :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”