What happened to the Bat?

Forum for kitesurfers
Beachboy
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What happened to the Bat?

Postby Beachboy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:46 am

A few months ago there was a lot of buzz here about the new Batwing. It's a very interesting looking design, and I applaud any company that tries something bold. I'd hope that by now the kites have gotten out to everyday consumers and not just the reps. Can anybody (non-rep) tell us about their experience with the Bat? Thanks...

uncleneil
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby uncleneil » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:26 pm

Apparently you didn't open your eyes before writing this post as there is already a few posts running about it. Do a search.

On a Rampage
Medium Poster

Postby On a Rampage » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:29 pm

Beachboy,

Where do you live? If on the east coast of the US then try and demo one in the next few weeks as there will be demos coming to as many locations as possible.

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:46 pm

one day I got to try out a friends 15.5...

super low winds so not by any means a good ride.

but general impressions:
Kite build quality is good. On average with the top companys
Bar is cobbled together POS. Id throw that thing out immediately. A few good ideas and a few bad ideas but all of them executely poorly and cheaply

riding... again not a day to really size it up but I wasnt amazed by anything. No exceptionally fast steering as claimed, no extra power as claimed. Felt like a big SLE kite in low winds

bad: flapped like a SOB. Poorly placed cutout is largely usupported by struts and cause a shizzerload of flapping no matter where the kite is AOA or the amount of wind.

relaunch... bad (or rather typical of bigger SLE's) not possible unless your in shallow water or the winds above 12mph.

My thoughts... I dont need to try one again. Theres nothing special about it

On a Rampage
Medium Poster

Postby On a Rampage » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:55 pm

scklandl wrote:one day I got to try out a friends 15.5...

super low winds so not by any means a good ride.

but general impressions:
Kite build quality is good. On average with the top companys
Bar is cobbled together POS. Id throw that thing out immediately. A few good ideas and a few bad ideas but all of them executely poorly and cheaply

riding... again not a day to really size it up but I wasnt amazed by anything. No exceptionally fast steering as claimed, no extra power as claimed. Felt like a big SLE kite in low winds

bad: flapped like a SOB. Poorly placed cutout is largely usupported by struts and cause a shizzerload of flapping no matter where the kite is AOA or the amount of wind.

relaunch... bad (or rather typical of bigger SLE's) not possible unless your in shallow water or the winds above 12mph.
I think the first and last sentence explain everything. Riding in 10knots or less usually will give a bad impression. The kite has settings for turning speed if it's not what you like. As far as the flapping goes, It can happen when sheeted out just like every other kite. If you were flying in such light winds then maybe your tuning was wrong as when sheeted in the kite doesn't flap. Only when the back lines are too long does it cause the flapping, and slow steering.

I do like the comment of "it flaps, no matter the amount of wind." You only rode it in light winds but know what it will do in any amount of wind. How is that?

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:40 pm

On a Rampage wrote:[

I think the first and last sentence explain everything. Riding in 10knots or less usually will give a bad impression. The kite has settings for turning speed if it's not what you like. As far as the flapping goes, It can happen when sheeted out just like every other kite. If you were flying in such light winds then maybe your tuning was wrong as when sheeted in the kite doesn't flap. Only when the back lines are too long does it cause the flapping, and slow steering.

I do like the comment of "it flaps, no matter the amount of wind." You only rode it in light winds but know what it will do in any amount of wind. How is that?
it wasnt a matter of tuning. I had the kite where I could oversheet the rear lines and cause the kite to backstall. When trimmed so that it was not backstalling and cranking the kite hard through a turn the kite would flap. Of course if I was riding in stronger winds the kite would be sheeted out more which would create less tension on the trailing edge, thus causing more flapping. And higher winds also increase the likelyhood of flapping given the increases in pressure differentials.

bottom line there is a projected curve inbetween struts. If it was concave all the way between struts the flapping would be minimized. But this extra material fluttered in the breeze.

PS rampage. Dont blame the user. Its in such poor taste. Ive got enough years building bars to know when a kite is trimmed

chipmunk
Frequent Poster

Postby chipmunk » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:22 pm

On a Rampage
Medium Poster

Postby On a Rampage » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:03 pm

[quote="scklandl"

PS rampage. Dont blame the user. Its in such poor taste. Ive got enough years building bars to know when a kite is trimmed[/quote]

No one pointed fingers at all. No blame. I don't know where you got that from. Anyway I was only trying to point out what seemed to be obvious. The #1 problem I see when people test kites is bad rigging (tuning).

How does your friend like the kite? Give it another try in better wind because you are giving a bad review of a kite in what you call "super low winds so not by any means a good ride". Try it in winds that you know will give a good ride and give you some more time on the kite.

Any review given after only 1 ride in super low winds is really not a review.

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brant Beach LBI
Style: Old School
Gear: Slingshot Machine 12M & 9M
Airush Ultra 17
Nomad Ultrawave
Rogue Wave 132
Rogue Wave Fat Bastard
Brand Affiliation: No Brand Affiliation

Postby Xtream » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:05 pm

I have flown my 12 Batwing over a dozen sessions from light wind 10mph to 30mph and in my opinion nothing else compares to this rare bird.
Complete opposite experience of Scklandl and I certainly disagree with his comments.
The Batwing is extremely stable, cuts upwind like no other kite I been on. (Would like to try a Flysurfer Speed 2)
Re-launch is stupid easy even in light winds. I can’t imagine anyone having trouble re-launching this kite, really. For me it almost re-launches itself. I have re-launched in 8mph wind in seconds.

I have experienced no flapping that’s noticeable in light wind or in strong winds.

I also just love the Windwing CC bar.

What’s seems to be very common when I let several kiters fly the Batwing is they are totally stoked by its performance, however when there’ an ulterior motive the stoke is usually down played which is expected.

The picture of the Batwing was taken in 10-15 mph winds and it’s tight as a drum.
Just fly the kite and make a decision based on what you experienced…

X
Attachments
kite surfing, mike conroy 017_1.jpg
kite surfing, mike conroy 017_1.jpg (80.03 KiB) Viewed 1528 times

On a Rampage
Medium Poster

Postby On a Rampage » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:09 pm

Oh! And try it on a different bar. Any equal line length system will work. The CC Bar is a great bar but not for everyone. Most people have tried it on the Best bar and given a totally opposite review of yours.

Once again not blameing anyone. I think most people will agree that trying a 15m kite in 10-12mph winds and then giving a poor review is in itself poor taste.

Return to “Kitesurfing”