Forum for kitesurfers
BODOM
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Monkey Griffin kite

Postby BODOM » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:26 pm

Does anyone have any information about the Monkey Griffin kite. I would really like to know about the low end, high end, turning and durability of the kite. I just left their website and they are saying the windrange on the 12 meter is from 13 to 25 mph for a beginner-intermediate, and 12 to 35 mph for an expert. Just looking for any info. Thanks

otte
Frequent Poster

Postby otte » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:59 pm

i think its best to visit the monkeyforum to get the most answeres to your questions :)
http://www.monkeykites.com/forum/index.php

and yes, the windrange is BIG :)

greetings
oliver

k2ski3
Medium Poster

Postby k2ski3 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:37 pm

On a 42cm wide board I can ride downwind in 8-9 knots on the 12m & head upwind around 10-11knots. However, I have a lot of lightwind practice and fly the kite very aggressively to get 8-9knots.

I haven't really found the top end. I have been comfortable with the kite in gusts up to 30knots, but prefer the 9m kite in those conditions since it is a jumping machine and my favorite of the 7,9,12, & 15.

All my feedback is on 1:1 bar setup.

The kite has good construction and reinforcements in the right spots on the leading edge. I have been using them as school kites all summer and my only problem has been pin-hole leaks in the leading edge from students crashing them hard in the dune grass with sharp growth shoots.

uncleneil
Frequent Poster

Postby uncleneil » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:54 pm

k2ski3 wrote:On a 42cm wide board I can ride downwind in 8-9 knots on the 12m & head upwind around 10-11knots. However, I have a lot of lightwind practice and fly the kite very aggressively to get 8-9knots.

I haven't really found the top end. I have been comfortable with the kite in gusts up to 30knots, but prefer the 9m kite in those conditions since it is a jumping machine and my favorite of the 7,9,12, & 15.

The kite has good construction and reinforcements in the right spots on the leading edge. I have been using them as school kites all summer and my only problem has been pin-hole leaks in the leading edge from students crashing them hard in the dune grass with sharp growth shoots.
He's also a bit biased as he owns a dealership that sell Monkey Kites. Very biased I would say. From all the replies though I think you got you answer. I got to demo one before and hated it. The stopper sucks and the kite loves to jellyfish. It makes the bar pulsate.

No affiliation to anyone.

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Blade , Griffin, 997 , Bang, Mystic , Skywalker

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:01 pm

uncleneil wrote: He's also a bit biased as he owns a dealership that sell Monkey Kites. Very biased I would say. From all the replies though I think you got you answer. I got to demo one before and hated it. The stopper sucks and the kite loves to jellyfish. It makes the bar pulsate.

What BS . Monkey kites are Top notch. They are the most popular kite on many beaches now. IF they where like you say , this would be far from the case. We also get a huge amount of repeat custom on them.

The stopper is pretty easy to use , and better than many i have seen , and they certainly do not jellyfish.

Huge range , 100% depower , floaty jumps , Very stable , option of 2:1 or 1:1 setup and best rice on the market. It's not hard to see why they ae becoming so popular.

Here are a few links the above post might be interested in.

http://www.nikiteforum.com./readarticle ... ticle_id=4

http://community.flexifoil.com/showthre ... ht=griffin

http://community.flexifoil.com/showthre ... ht=griffin

http://www.kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfin ... fin#145380

http://www.kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfin ... fin#119987

phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=437135&highlight=griffin#437135

phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=436151&highlight=griffin#436151

phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=435583&highlight=griffin#435583

phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=421187&highlight=griffin#421187

http://www.kitecommunity.com/index.php? ... Itemid=906
Last edited by kitesurfwarehouse on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wibbler
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wibbler » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:32 pm

Have they sorted the pulleys on the bar out?

Lethal.

Leader line kept jamming between the metal housing and the pulley repeatedly sending an 18m Griffin into a death spiral.

otte
Frequent Poster

Postby otte » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:39 am

been riding the griffin since it first came out in 2006.
the case that you discribe never hapened to me or to anyone i know. neither i ever heared about such a thing hapening! but this should not mean its not possible. it can hapen to every pulleybar-setup. so nothing against monkeykites!

anyways the kites are great and everyone who demoed it did actually like it.

just give it a go if possible or try to catch some unbiased reviews from users :)

aprok
Medium Poster

Postby aprok » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:10 am

uncleneil wrote:
k2ski3 wrote:On a 42cm wide board I can ride downwind in 8-9 knots on the 12m & head upwind around 10-11knots. However, I have a lot of lightwind practice and fly the kite very aggressively to get 8-9knots.

He's also a bit biased as he owns a dealership that sell Monkey Kites. Very biased I would say. From all the replies though I think you got you answer. I got to demo one before and hated it. The stopper sucks and the kite loves to jellyfish. It makes the bar pulsate.

Uncleneil, what kites do you sell? Or your friends do? :nono2: No affiliation to anyone :lamer:

Toby Wan Kenobi
Rare Poster

Postby Toby Wan Kenobi » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:35 am

I have been trying out a number of different SLE kites this summer, (NAISH Shockwave, Boxer, Helix, CABRINHA Swithblade 1 and 2, Contra, NORTH Rebel 07, SLINGSHOT Turbodiesel 06, BEST Waroo 06+07, OZONE Sport 06+07, Edge 07, Light 07 and Monkeykites Griffin).

I still ride C-kites. Didn't like the different feeling I got from the SLE kites at first, now I am more comfortable with them and actually are prepared to buy my first SLE.

Of all the different kites i tried the last year I like the Griffin best, by far!
Only tried them (7 and 12m) in 1:1 bar setup. To me the Griffin has the most C-like feeling. It felt great at once. The jumps are amazing! The 7m are superfast but predictable and stable, the 12m is naturally a bit slower.
I'm going to wait for the 08's and then get a 7 and a 12m.

I am convinced that Monkeykites woud have been more common at beaches around the world if they had more dealers. I can't find any reason to buy a more expensive kite when there is a cheaper option that performs just as good or (in my opinion) better.

k2ski3
Medium Poster

Postby k2ski3 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:14 pm

Uncleneil,
I was responding to a question as a very informed source. Isn't that the point of the forum? By your definition, any experienced owner would then be biased because they fly the kites too often and have grown fond of them in the process making their viewpoint biased.

Clearly I am a shop that sells Monkey if they are my school kites. So the rider who posted the question could assume two things. One I do sell these kites for profit, & two, I have alot of experience on them. I know I would like to be reassured that there is a retailer out there who is happy with the brand and supports them.

So how does my response aid my economic well being anyway? I wasn't trying to sell him a kite nor talk him out of purchasing another brand.

If your still concerned I provide biased responses, feel free to go through my posting history as I know you won't find any regarding LEI's but I do provide endless support for the positive merits of Peter Lynn foil kites.

My guess would be you are a loyal Best rider angry with the concept of a lower priced competitor that performs just as well. Don't worry, Monkey, or any other kite company for that matter, will not be challenging Best Kiteboarding for the #1 spot in the near future.

In the meantime, I will continue to offer my educated input when I have value to offer someone looking for information. Afterall, it is still better feedback to the poster than your worthless post about a knowledgeable person being biased.

Return to “Kitesurfing”