Forum for kitesurfers
chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East
Has thanked: 0

Postby chemosavi » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:08 am

There's a DIY version of the "airchair" (same idea, different stoke) made out of plywood floating around on the net somewhere. A motivated individual could no doubt fabricate a working version of these so called hydrofoils if they can't afford a carbon version and do not want to wait. It's more or less the same gig.

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:59 am

cglazier wrote:
kiteboarder@pacbell.net wrote:Oder from http://www.carafino.com I'm sure you'll get a reply immediately, from the designer himself ("Mango" Manny - info@carafino.com, or carafino@aol.com)
Hi Mel
I ordered from Mango himself 7 weeks ago. But I still have no board and my repeated requests for shipping info have not brought results.

He did send me an instructional dvd.

:wink:
Chris Glazier
Hi Chris,

I never got the requested tracking info from him either, but I also must admit that the only reason I wanted it was to decide whether to go to work (where it was being shipped) on my day off, just in case it showed up. Again, I think it was worth the wait, & in your case waiting less than me & problably getting the lighter version.

When viewing the DVD I strongly recommend keeping in mind the tips in my second post above.

I think the ride is extremely addictive (much like the deep soft powder it emulates). I'm dying to go again, but after 2 1/2 solid non-stop hours with some really good "flights" on Tuesday, I was too tired to go Wednesday, waited all day with no wind Thursday, & today was "too" windy (30+), with the wind line a mile out from the beach. ARGH!

Mel

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:03 am

chemosavi wrote:There's a DIY version of the "airchair" (same idea, different stoke) made out of plywood floating around on the net somewhere. A motivated individual could no doubt fabricate a working version of these so called hydrofoils if they can't afford a carbon version and do not want to wait. It's more or less the same gig.
That sounds cool & should work fine with the chair replaced by footstraps. You could likely even make it from carbon if you were so inclined!

However, much like learning to kiteboard on homebuilt gear, unless I first learned on a proven model, it would make ME wonder if I was crashing over & over because I built it slightly wrong, or just because I still need more practice. Also much like a homebuilt kite or board, it MIGHT not be worth the time & effort unless you have a low-paying job &/or a lot of spare time (it would probably take me as long to build as to wait for a new one!).

I'm not sure why you say "so called". It IS a hydrofoil.

Mel

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:25 pm

CHEMOVSKI!!

do you have that DIY airchair site earmarked?

I did several searches and got nowhere... (DIY airchair, DIY air chair, DIY airchair waterski...)

nuthin'

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:50 pm

Here's one link to an aluminum version http://www.foils.org/gallery/cosmo.htm but I know I've seen a diy plywood version.

foils.org has a bunch of stuff on hydrofoils as well. Sorry to be vague.

Check out this guy as well http://members.aol.com/jfreeent/

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:48 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

FlyinElvis
Rare Poster

Postby FlyinElvis » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:07 am

so you paid 780 for a dvd? aye yi yi.

I ride a metal one, and I use boots/bindings. It is NOT because it is less stable. The boots are to keep you attached to the thing. If you fall off of it, the last thing you want is that foil coming after you.

they aren't carbon, but here's the metal foil sites...

http://ctmfoilboards.com/ecatalog/
http://www.skyski.com/shop/product_info ... ebecdi7g01
http://www.rushrandle.com/foilboards.htm

also, definitely not bashing carafino, i'd love to try one, but carbon tends to explode when you hit something (i.e. reef). I'd be interested to hear from some people who have spent some time on them to see how they hold up over time.

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:58 am

10/6/7 Day 4 on HydroFoil w. kite. 2.5 hrs. (6 hrs. total)

Even though altitude control is still the biggest challenge, I was right about learning it quickly. There were only a few times when the foil came out of the water accidentally, & I got a few nice long runs without touching the water. That still takes a lot of my attention, but at least now there's some left over to enjoy that cool feeling of "gliding across perfectly soft, deep powder snow", & to work on my stance, which still sucks.
FlyinElvis wrote:...I ride a metal one, and I use boots/bindings. It is NOT because it is less stable. The boots are to keep you attached to the thing. If you fall off of it, the last thing you want is that foil coming after you...also, definitely not bashing carafino, i'd love to try one, but carbon tends to explode when you hit something (i.e. reef). I'd be interested to hear from some people who have spent some time on them to see how they hold up over time.
On my own bad falls so far I just come out of the straps & the foilboard gets left well behind, just like a plain board, not "coming after me", but I don't plan to ever ride it in the surf, which would be another matter altogether! Still, if I WAS going to get hit by one, I'd rather it be the lighter carbon version.

Earlier on this forum Mango posted that he drove his carbon foil into a reef at full-speed with bindings behind a boat, & it got damaged, but was easily repaired. It seems to me that metal would be more resistant to damage (from impact or abrasion), but also more difficult to repair if it DOES get damaged.

Mel

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:45 am

I forgot to mention that of my 3 initial concerns, two have proven manageable so far, & the other should come with practice:

1) Body-dragging through shorebreak isn’t all that hard. I just walk in with the vertical strut over my upwind shoulder, & when I get to waist-deep water I let it drop so the strut is horizontal, the board drags freely through the water to windward, & the foil to leeward, until I’m far enough out to get in the straps. Reversing the procedure works fine for landing.

2) Gusty winds have not posed any extra problem yet, compared to riding a “normalâ€Â

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:34 am

can you guys let me know when the board ships again? I'd pay $800 for a foilboard for sure....YAY

I must say when I had a go on the foilboard I messed up, I liked the feeling a lot, but it was DAMN hard to ride.

It does worry me if the carbon would explode on impact if you hit something, as we have a lot of coral heads here.

A.

Return to “Kitesurfing”