Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

First Impressions 2008 Naish Cult

Postby Dax » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:51 pm

Conditions: 15mph-25mph, chop and flat water
Ability: Intermediate/Advanced
Other kites flown this year: 2007 Waroos (owned quiver), 2007 Yarga 9m (owned), 2007 Bullaros, 2007 Boxers, 2007 Fuel 11m, 2007 Crossbow 9m, 2007 T2s, 2007 SS Links, 2008 SS REVs (own quiver), 2008 Naish Helix 9m, 2008 LF Havocs, 2008 North Rebel 10m, 2008 Best Nemesis 9m

Pros
- Very smooth feel in the gusts
- Nice bar feedback
- Lighter bar pressure
- Consistent bar feel throughout sheeting range
- Nice steering, quick
- More power through turns than Helix, more powered loops

Cons
- Tips flap a bit under heavy turning and loops
- Backstalls a bit in lightwind
- Long bridle

Got a quick ride on the 9m the other day. The kite had a great color scheme, yellow and green, looked sweet. The LE has a lot more bend in it than the Helix, so the Sigma shape is even more pronounced.

Did a few unhooked moves, seemed to work well enough, though when powered it pulls very hard downwind.

Didn't get a chance to try the new bar, still had an older bar on the kite.

Cult vs. Helix
First impressions flying it are I like it a lot more than the Helix. Its got a nicer bar feel and feels more fun in the turns (a bit more power.) Also seems to be a bit more low end. My friend who rides the new Naish kites says he prefers the Cult overall but thinks the Helix has a bit more hang in the jumps. Also the Cult seems to flap on the tips under heavy turning and loops. Normal riding the kite is very solid.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:51 pm

which size did you fly???

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:58 pm

Toby wrote:which size did you fly???
9m

Rolavi2
Medium Poster

Postby Rolavi2 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:47 pm

Just my luck. I was commenting to a friend the other day how much all of the waroos flap and then I hear this "con: wing tips flapping" after getting my 9m cult Friday.

bkiter
Medium Poster

Postby bkiter » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:02 pm

Have had my nine for a couple of weeks and really enjoying the kite especially when the wind is howling.

Great in the waves as well, cant wait for the smart loop as I cant reach the depower straps.

nab1000
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 757, 252
Style: Wake
Gear: LF HiFi's, Influence 138, LF Cabs
Brand Affiliation: Wave Riding Vehicle Surfboards

Postby nab1000 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:30 pm

Just my luck. I was commenting to a friend the other day how much all of the waroos flap and then I hear this "con: wing tips flapping" after getting my 9m cult Friday.
alot of people dont know how to fly the waroo. Its pretty funny when i go to the beach and see an inproperly tuned waroo, and then the owner complains about it.

Not plugging for best just wanted to comment on the comment.

So.... how does it compare to the 08 havoc?

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:24 am

nab1000 wrote:
alot of people dont know how to fly the waroo. Its pretty funny when i go to the beach and see an inproperly tuned waroo, and then the owner complains about it.

Not plugging for best just wanted to comment on the comment.

So.... how does it compare to the 08 havoc?
I only had a brief ride on the Cult, so its hard to draw true comparisons. Overall I'd say I'd recommend a Cult to a beginner / intermediate rider because of smoothness and stability, and a Havoc to a Intermediate / Advanced rider because of power and unhooked control.

The Havoc is probably the best unhooked kite I've flown this year.

Rolavi2
Medium Poster

Postby Rolavi2 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:00 pm

Dax,

You are very predictable.

Rolavi

powerkiteaddict
Very Frequent Poster

Postby powerkiteaddict » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:11 pm

I flew a 9M Cult in small crosswind waves in about 18-22 knots on a twin tip and a 5'10" surfboard-had the original bar (which meant it was almost impossible to trim on the fly due to the distance of the de-power handles from the bar)and used it straight out of the box without changing any settings. I normally ride a 9M Boxer SLE. I own North, Best and Naish kites-no association with any manufacturer. Wouldn't mind one though :lol:

I'm intermediate/advanced as far as tricks on a twin tip and advanced as a surfer-kiting about 5 years.

I found it very similar to the Boxer except that it was more even and smooth through the turns and had nice even power.

Seemed to turn slightly faster than the Boxer.

It hung nicely when de-powered when riding waves and 'floated' downwind as I rode the waves.

I did a few jumps on the twin tip and like most kites-yes-you can jump with this kite.

One complain-the leach (trailing edge) seemed to flutter quite a lot when parked and-tried power and de-powering with it parked and it didn't seemed to make much difference to the amount of flutter.

A very nice kite-I like my Boxer so much I was worried about a replacement as I didn't like the look of the new Naish kites and was dubious about how they would fly-I'm comfortable that this would be a good replacement.

PKA
Last edited by powerkiteaddict on Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

bkiter
Medium Poster

Postby bkiter » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:19 pm

You will really appreciate these kites when the wind picks up, they handle the gusts so well and the 20 mtr lines make so much better.

Naish have also solved the problems of inversions with this new shape as I have had the kite fully depowered in 30 plus knots and pushed the bar out and the kite is rock solid at no time did the kite want to invert.

Although I cant wait for the smart loop , it will certainly be the cleanest and best bar once it comes out , if you view the video you can see alot of thought has gone into it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”