Depower

Tab-eaky
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wipe out on landings?

Postby Tab-eaky » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:40 pm

Mo wrote:I tried both... The REV have nice feel on the bar and you know where is the kite. It jumps for sure but the landings were sometimes associated with extreme power... like a truck pulling you forever and then you wipe out.

The Rebel was easier to handle and had loads of manageable power and the jumps were reealy high and landings were so nice due to increased hangtime. Bar feel was also good and you can feel where the kite is.

I would vote for the Rebel.

Mo
Mo,

I have to believe you are a novice kiter by you stating that you wipe out on your jumps on a Rev...

The Rev might not be the best kite for first time jumps compared to the Rebel, which can take abuse on the bar without getting a strong pull ... it really mary poppins down.

However, for the more advanced kiter I think height and response are more important than pure hang time... that will surely be the main discussion between these two kites, which are very different.

Add the 5 vs. 4 lines and you get more fuel too...

endorphin
Frequent Poster

Postby endorphin » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:05 pm

Don't know the 2008 Rebels,
But i had a 2 kite quiver of 2007 Rebels (9+14m)
and would never ever purchase any Kite from North again.
(my opinion)

The main issue why i would choose the Rev (i already was kiting with it on the water) is because of the build quality and the flying characteristics which were very impressive.

I don't like to buy any kite again that completely falls apart after less than 5 sessions, like my Rebels did.

flycat, look around in all kinds of kite-related forums and search by quality issues associated with Slingshot and North and you'll know what to buy.

:bye:

ps: and nothing sucks more than a broken kite in your kite-holidays

Seaman
Frequent Poster

Postby Seaman » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:10 pm

I don't like to buy any kite again that completely falls apart after less than 5 sessions, like my Rebels did.
What happened??

wjb
Frequent Poster

Postby wjb » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:39 pm

endorphin wrote:Don't know the 2008 Rebels,
(my opinion)

The main issue why i would choose the Rev (i already was kiting with it on the water) is because of the build quality and the flying characteristics which were very impressive.

flycat, look around in all kinds of kite-related forums and search by quality issues associated with Slingshot and North and you'll know what to buy.

Sure nobody has any problem with Slingshot. Just ask anybody who bought a Link this year :roll:

endorphin
Frequent Poster

Postby endorphin » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:20 pm

My Rebels had many wholes after some sessions, one Bladder exploded during my kiteholidays, my 9m Rebel had a massive Frontstall, and the backline ropes, where they were connected to the kite, broke away after some sessions.
The 07 Bar was out of aluminium under the rubber which was were freezing on my hands in the winter. The heacy big piece of Metall-Adjuster was so heavy that my boards are signed on the toe-side and i was lucky not to get hit by it on my head.

Look around in this forum for quality problems on kites...
I don't have to say anything else!

I'm a normal consumer and i have worked very hard to earn my money which i spend for kites.
I had bad experiences with North-Kites, maybe other people had better experiences, but for me North-Kites are history.

Yeah, the Links weren't that good, but they didn't fall apart!!!

kind regards,
Thomas

endorphin
Frequent Poster

Postby endorphin » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:38 pm

I have to be fair and should mention that my 14m Rebel had very good flying characteristics :!:

Perhaps the quality of North Kites got better in 2008 - i don't know.
I can only tell my experiences with my Rebels.

Now i fly a 12,5 Flexi Ion2 which is the kind of quality i expect of an expensive kite. Only the Flexi-lines aren't that durable.

My 17,5m Machine is also very well build and my 7m Bularoo falls apart too, but i'll use it till it is completely dead. :wink:

I'm also looking forward for a new 9m Kite.
Had a 2007 Best Waroo with no quality issues and would like to purchase a 08 Fuel or a Rev or an 8,5m Ion2 or an Atom08 as my future 9m kite.
As i'm so happy with my Machine i think the 08 Fuel will make the race.

I ride a Flexi Hadlow Board with LF luxury kit on it (best not custom-made board available in my opinion), was about 150 days on the water last year and am looking forward to buy only Kites from Slingshot or Flexi as i'm happy with the price/output-ratio of these kites.

kind regards,
Thomas

slimchance
Medium Poster

ss rev

Postby slimchance » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:30 pm

i think that rev ss is the best

Fatfish98
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Fatfish98 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:52 pm

wjb wrote:
(my opinion)

Sure nobody has any problem with Slingshot. Just ask anybody who bought a Link this year :roll:
Thing is...Slingshot learnt from the LINK but it looks like North are still screwed!

The LINK had no 'physical' problems....just the bridle issue which dragged on. There are lots of happy LINK owners out there (at least the ones whon know how to fly kites) :D
REV is cleaning up for 2007/2008 no question.....so so many happy owners and you all know that REV2 will blow your socks off :o

wjb
Frequent Poster

Postby wjb » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:19 pm

Fatfish98 wrote:
wjb wrote:
(my opinion)

Thing is...Slingshot learnt from the LINK but it looks like North are still screwed!

The LINK had no 'physical' problems....just the bridle issue which dragged on. There are lots of happy LINK owners out there (at least the ones whon know how to fly kites) :D
REV is cleaning up for 2007/2008 no question.....so so many happy owners and you all know that REV2 will blow your socks off :o

North is screwed? How do you figure? There has not been a rash of complaints about build quality on North kites other than some issues with the 2 pump setup which thankfully the Rebel does not have. I considered the Rev for my current quiver but decided not to buy the Rev in it's first year out. Maybe next year will be a different story. I have no complaints about the 08 Rebel or any North kite I have had. Neither does a lot of happy users here in the bay area. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”