Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ct town sued over kitesurfing death

Forum for kitesurfers
spork
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: US Law

Postby spork » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:10 am

vjkiter wrote:BUT! If You can sue McDonald's for the hot coffe..and WIN!!!!!!!!!!!
Cigarettes Companies for cancer and WIN!!!
etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Why the poor girl should not sue the town!?

Not to put too fine a point on this - but...

BECAUSE ITS f*CKING EVIL!

Why not just kill people that annoy me if I can get away with it?

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: US Law

Postby afflatus » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:36 am

I think what spork is trying to say, is he'd kill people if he thought he could get away with it...

But doubts he's clever enough...?

The exception proves the rule...

That's proves as in proving ground, in other words tests the rule.

Test in progress, now let's just see how it goes.

I think it's just fear that brings out all this hate...

spork wrote:
vjkiter wrote:BUT! If You can sue McDonald's for the hot coffe..and WIN!!!!!!!!!!!
Cigarettes Companies for cancer and WIN!!!
etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Why the poor girl should not sue the town!?

Not to put too fine a point on this - but...

BECAUSE ITS f*CKING EVIL!

Why not just kill people that annoy me if I can get away with it?
and those of you lining up to speak ill of the dead, that sounds like fun...

Be sure and wink at his kids...

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:51 am

randykato wrote:He's saying (with his tone) how ridiculous it is that she's suing for negligence because there were no lifeguards on duty..... in January.
That's the other side of lawsuits - sure, you can sue anybody for anything, but you can make a complete ass of yourself in the process, and be counter-sued for wasting everyone's time. I wonder if the lawyer representing her on this suit has also offered to defend her from the counter-suit.

Unfortunately, nobody ever wins except the lawyers...

ian c
Very Frequent Poster

____

Postby ian c » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:45 am

freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedoooooooooooooooooooom

not....

Neill
Frequent Poster

Postby Neill » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:58 am

I stand by all my comments, basically i am trying to say that the american law system is ridiculous for even allowing people to waste the court's time with frivolous lawsuits like this. "Common sense" does not seem to be in the vocabulary any more, it is just stupidity.

Maybe the townspeople should sue the wife for not stopping her husband from entering the water on that day, and therefore bringing their beaches' safety into disrepute? I wonder how she would like that?

gandulf
Rare Poster

Postby gandulf » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:39 pm

nothing beats the combined smell of corpses and money...

the lawsuit is bottomline stupid, and if she wins, many places will forbid kitesurfing (they won't even bother placing signs like, kitesurf at your own risk) because they're through with it

makes me remember all the town that banned skateboarding when it was popular because a few people complained...

paulie
Frequent Poster

Postby paulie » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:02 pm

spork wrote:
Only Americans are so law suit happy…This would never happen in Europe
Really? I always heard the U.K. was worse than us.
Haha... we are not even close....

lndpnt
Medium Poster

Postby lndpnt » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:50 pm

a couple of facts from that day:

It was the third 60 degree day that January, wind was SW side on, super safe. The forecast was accurate, we all came off the water before the front blew through a half hour before dark, Stoil chose to stay out. We later learned he was in a duct taped drysuit (new neck seal on order) he had doubled up on the wetsuit under. As he drifted down paralleling the beach, other riders shouted to him to ditch the gear and swim for it. Just as it got dark, he released the kite, it was seen tumbling down wind.

Stoil was the guy that was always off on his own, slow learner, didn't socialize much. We often made suggestions for safer methods, to which he seemed to often disregard, but seemed nice enough...kind of invisible after a while...

A Paypal account was set up and raised a decent amount of money for his wife from around the world. A ceremony was organized by kiters at the beach, his wife attended.

Since the incident we set up a website/forum to promote safety for the newer riders, had meetings with local riders and an all day session with the Coast Guard, and several marine police units from around Long Island Sound. The Coast Guard was super interested in rescue methods and drift rates for riders with inflated kites for their computer models..but most of all they want to keep the sound open for recreation of all kinds.

We have limited access already in CT. My point is, hindsite is one thing, look around watch out for this guy at your beach. lane

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby afflatus » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:07 pm

Sorry,

You just do not get it...

That we are allowed to be heard is what makes all the difference.

Folks that are not allowed to be heard are oft times referred to as being oppressed...

I'm pretty happy to have the freedom to be heard, that you don't see that as a plus is perhaps why your named KNEEL.

hehehe...funny how that works eh?

go ahead kneel Neil, I prefer to stand on the side of individual human rights.

The right to be wrong in the eyes of everyone and remain entitled to present your case is not a right I'd wish to be seen as wrong...

No biggie, clearly you just don't get it.

Neill wrote:I stand by all my comments, basically i am trying to say that the american law system is ridiculous for even allowing people to waste the court's time with frivolous lawsuits like this. "Common sense" does not seem to be in the vocabulary any more, it is just stupidity.

Maybe the townspeople should sue the wife for not stopping her husband from entering the water on that day, and therefore bringing their beaches' safety into disrepute? I wonder how she would like that?

Richard
Frequent Poster

Postby Richard » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:27 pm

I would guess that this case will not make it very far. An out of court settlement with the town's liability insurance company is possible.

However, it is hard to conclude that the town was negligent at all.

Regards

Richard

Return to “Kitesurfing”