Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any advice on winter wetsuits for kite/surfing???

Forum for kitesurfers
biggins
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Any advice on winter wetsuits for kite/surfing???

Postby biggins » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:50 pm

I haven't tried kiting in the winter yet, but have been really wanting to do it as the waves are very nice in the winter. Anyway, I've only got a 3/2mm and need something warmer.

I've got gloves/hood, but need advice on a thicker suit.

I'm guessing a 5/4/3, with double stich/100% flexibility/double tape/fleece lining...that kinda stuff?

Anyone have any they particularly like and/or advice for cold weather riding?

thanks,

j

P.S. I think the pyro surf just isn't for me.

joao aferreira
Medium Poster

Postby joao aferreira » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:32 pm

ION wetsuits

Dann
Medium Poster

Postby Dann » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:12 pm

Make sure the whole thing is wind skin.

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:50 am

Does anyone make a wetsuit of mostly wind skin? I haven't seen that from a "name brand".

thanks,

j

woodfu
Frequent Poster

Postby woodfu » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:34 am

Have a look at the camaro range. I'm waiting on a c5t, 100% smooth skin neoprene, semi dry, flece lined... Better not piss in it.

http://www.camaro.at/en/wasserski/start.htm

$99 us from http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,183 ... r-Men.html

Beats the hell out of paying $700 for a ripcurl of similar type

RichKite
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RichKite » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:33 am

Not sure where you are but just bought a UK custom SNUGG wetsuit. You send in 20+ measurements and then you get a made to measure suit that you know will never bunch up / pinch / or squeeze you too tight or be easily flushed ..... used it last weekend 4 degrees and I was sweating .... I have a 3/2 ONEIL psycho 2 for summer and think the 5/4/3 snugg might actually feel more flexi and lighter - I had a PYRO classic drysuit for winter before and dont envisage ever using it again ...... Anyone want one in M?
Last edited by RichKite on Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RichKite
Medium Poster

Postby RichKite » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:38 am

woodfu wrote:Have...18312_bCamaroandb-C5-T-Full-Wetsuit-5and3-mm-Neoprene-For-Men.html

I tried the old wetsuit route once - got a 5/3 steamer that lasted all of one season and was CR*P .... Money does buy some quality. blind seams, windresistant and thermo lined are all advantages. Camaro might be worth a punt if strapped for cash. My philosophy in life is buy the best you can afford ttreat it well and make it last, rather than buy cheap often and just add to refuse mountain.

jeff1
Medium Poster
Style: freeride

Postby jeff1 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:31 am

get yourself a oceanrodeo pyro pro dry suit.If ye want to stay dry and warm and spend longer in the water its the only way to go

woodfu
Frequent Poster

Postby woodfu » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:22 pm

RichKite wrote:
woodfu wrote:Have...18312_bCamaroandb-C5-T-Full-Wetsuit-5and3-mm-Neoprene-For-Men.html

I tried the old wetsuit route once - got a 5/3 steamer that lasted all of one season and was CR*P .... Money does buy some quality. blind seams, windresistant and thermo lined are all advantages. Camaro might be worth a punt if strapped for cash. My philosophy in life is buy the best you can afford ttreat it well and make it last, rather than buy cheap often and just add to refuse mountain.
Camaro does have all that, have a look at the site. These are just cheap, they're last seasons line on closeout. Friend of mine has one and is very happy with it. Just can't bring myself to fork out for a psycho 2 when these are a fraction of the price.

I agree with you about the refuse mountain, a paradigm shift in social attitudes is well over due. Don't get me started.

travisjonak
Medium Poster

Postby travisjonak » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:00 pm

the hyperflex amp series 5/4/3 hooded is sweet. I've been using it since september in new england waters. It's got the wind skin and fleece on the chest, back and hood. Double blind stitched and glued. I was out in 40 degree water and about 40 air temp and was toasty. I spent about 45 minutes in the drink too swimming to shore after my kite exploded. I stayed perfectly warm the whole time and it's made of 100% superstretch neoprene.

Return to “Kitesurfing”