Local Beach: South Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cornwall
Gear: Ion2 8.5 / 10.5 / Amp s 9/12/16 North Rhinos 10/12/16
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

UK Downwinder

Postby trouty » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:19 pm

Hi all me and a few mates are thinking of doing a down winder from Selsey to Brighton this year.
Can anyone tell me if anyone from this forum or anyone they know in the uk has done this or something similar?
I know it could be a bit of a logistical kitemare but am sure it could be done with a backup boat.
Obviously the coast gaurd would be informed and all necessary precautions taken. We have estimated as the crow flies its about 35 miles and am guessing it could be covered if all went well in about 4 hrs.

any helpfull comments apprecaited

thanks

paul

bri
Frequent Poster

Postby bri » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:36 pm

in theory you could do littlehampton to shoreham. I've never kited down selsey way. you'd need some kind of support coming down either by boat or car. 1 boat per 2-3 kiters

I don't think you can kite across shoreham harbour either cos of the ships, also the water / current / wind gets a bit weird around there.

post it kiteboarder.co.uk

bigmark100
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sydney
Favorite Beaches: Capetown, Venezuela, Perth
Style: styleless
Gear: Nobile, Cabrihna

Postby bigmark100 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:54 am

isnt that an upwinder?

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Postby Carlos_C » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:10 am

only in an easterly

trouty
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cornwall
Gear: Ion2 8.5 / 10.5 / Amp s 9/12/16 North Rhinos 10/12/16

Postby trouty » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:32 pm

bigmark :lol: could well be i guess ....

Bri cheers that is something i wasn't aware of and will have to look into. (couldn't we just dodge em') ? HA maybe NOT :-?

Ill keep you posted of our plans and if there is anyone else out there that can help please post.

thanks

Paul

dibs
Rare Poster

Postby dibs » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:09 pm

ive done a two downwiders in that direction, one from lancing to shoreham and one from lancing to just past shoreham, i dont think you'll want to go much further as the distance you travel takes a long time to cover, id say it to between 3-3.5 hours to do the longer one and that seemed plenty. it was an almoth westerly wind both times however so it was pretty much straight downwind, a more southerly direction would have been better, also the waves can limit your speed aswell. if you fancy meeting up some time at somewhere like lancing then that would be kl

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:14 am

we did the return channel crossing a few years back and I was surprised how quickly you can do it - 55 miles on a gps in 2 1/2 hrs - in fully powered conditions, could be done even faster (it was light on the way to France). We also did a few training downwinders such as lancing-shoreham.

Best advice is to stay close to shore as possible, keep riders close enough together to communicate, so if a squal comes through you can get into the beach and land each other. Also take water/camel bacs and ideally have a boat or wet bike. Tell the coastguard also.

ps further thoughts: avoid Selsea due to the nasty rips, better to start at Pagham and take a mobile phone (in aqua bag) so that you can go as far as you want and then get collected by car. Also take some money for a cup of tea!

RichKite
Medium Poster

Postby RichKite » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:53 am

We have done a downwinder before in UK. Ours was only 17miles straight. We left one car at destination - one half way along then one to start ..... came in handy as the wind died during the session.

Return to “Kitesurfing”