Forum for kitesurfers
blizzard
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

advice for an old timer

Postby blizzard » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:17 pm

I am planning in getting back in to kitesurfing following a 3-4 year break following a serious accident. I tried it again recently when I was in the Caribbean and took to it like riding a bike.

I am totally out of touch with the equipment. I kite surfered for 4 years (that was about 8 years ago when the orginal inflatable kites by Wipika first came on the market) and the last kite I used was a Wipika AMP, which at the time seemed like a damn nice kite. I can't even remember the make of my last board but it was a twin tip ( a Litewave I think).

I recently used a North which i was impressed with. I am overwhelmed with all the gear on the market. I will try to specifiy my priorities, but one of the main things i could do with understanding are the principal types of bar/line set up now available and if someone can point me to a decent independent review on this I would be grateful.

Basically I want in order of priority:
All round use (freeride flat water, waves, jumps but not highly technical moves)
wide wind power range (I understand the range on todays kites are very wide so perhaps I can do with just one kite. Being quite light (10 stone) I used to find I could manage with less kite size than other and still perform as well).
Good depower (same as above)
Proven full proof emergency release system
Good stability, self launch and water launch
Durability

Information much appreicated

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: advice for an old timer

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:22 pm

You can go with almost ANY kite today, C or SLE or Bow kite.

All has all the features you ask for, and safety has improved by a huge factor.

Sounds like you should go for an SLE/Bow kite for your needs, maybe with a 5 line setup if you are really "afraid" of the safety aspects :D

Just go into your store and ask - as they will be able to tell you about the features on "todays" kites, and how they are different from older kites.

Kindly, Peter Frank

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:04 pm

I´m pushing half a century. Been kiting 5 years.

Knowing what i know now:

Get a SLE like a Best Waroo- this is a solid performing kite- you will not be disappointed. You should get 2 sizes to cover about 80% of your winds.

Yes- there are lots of good kites out there- most work really well now. but there are some duds out there. What´s really hard to grasp is that there can be a magic kite - say a 12m2 in a certain brand and model- but the other sizes can just so-so or even one size just really bad. It´s really hard to tell.

Get your local dealer to give you a 30 day trial period- at least a trade-in deal. Try em out and if you think it´s not working for you, you can always trade to another model or brand at that dealer.

If you want a board for carving, crusing, surfing, and jumping: get a Ocean Rodeo Mako 150x34. I´ve had mine 3 years and it is an amazing board- soft on your knees-fast- loose- tracks well. Search the forum for the threads that cover this board- I cannot emphasize enough the impact this board will have on your kiting.

TW

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:52 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:You can go with almost ANY kite today, C or SLE or Bow kite.

All has all the features you ask for, and safety has improved by a huge factor.

Sounds like you should go for an SLE/Bow kite for your needs, maybe with a 5 line setup if you are really "afraid" of the safety aspects :D

Just go into your store and ask - as they will be able to tell you about the features on "todays" kites, and how they are different from older kites.

Kindly, Peter Frank
agree :thumb:

Saludos

Franz

blizzard
Medium Poster

Postby blizzard » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:06 am

Thanks
Unfortunately I have not local kite store but I think this is what I could really do with as I want to see the difference between these 4 and 5 line set ups.

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:53 am

I'm basicly the same kind of rider as you, but i just started a year ago.
If i would be you i'll start with an bow/SLE. i bought a Best Waroo 07 13m and my performances boosted right away. (i started with C kites)
I feel saver with my kite, you can adjust a lot of things verry verry easy while riding, with C kites i think thats more difficult and you can adjust less. (although that becomes better nowadays)

a 5th line (C kite) is verry good and safe, but the new safety systems on the Naish 2008 and Best 2007 bar are really good aswell.
If you want to go for safety, longer hangtimes, fast progress i would take a SLE/BOW. I'm not gonna say HAS TO BE a best waroo, because there are verry good alternatives. I just prefer the waroo myself.

with 2 bow kites you should have enough windrange.
10 stones no clue what weight that is in kg. but i guess an 11m and 7m waroo should do the trick.. if you are in an area with lowwinds maybe the 13m and 9m..

hope you'll succeed. welcome back!

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:39 pm

blizzard wrote:Thanks
Unfortunately I have not local kite store but I think this is what I could really do with as I want to see the difference between these 4 and 5 line set ups.
good question

New flat kites ( or called bows / Sle´s ) some offer 5 lines and other 4 lines , performance wise they are the same as well as stability and re launch in water and most important ; wind range , of course generally spoken , there are low aspect as well as high aspect kites , some better suited for waves others for free ride and other for free style . some goes better up wind and some jumps better .... but if they have 4 or 5 lines very little has to do with it .

Some prefer one type and some others the other ...... 5th liners do offer a better flag out since you can re launch the kite , 4 liners use for this purpose the so called " front line flag out system " which works the same but you can´t re launch since your leash is connected to one of the front lines and when you release the CL and the kite drops into the ground most of the time the LE sits flat on the ground facing you.

On the other hand a 5th liner can tear you kite in half if you drop it in the surf .

Overall is a question of personal taste .

I am not going to go into the brands stuff but my suggestion is that you take the time to go into a kite shop , ask for some test kites and try them and see which model / brand fits your riding style best.

Saludos

Franz

spleeft
Medium Poster
Style: Waves
Gear: North Vegas, surfboards

Postby spleeft » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:26 pm

Blizz, what happened with your accident? I only ask to see if this might help decide on new gear.

blizzard
Medium Poster

Postby blizzard » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:39 pm

I am not clear what a bow/SLE kite or a C kite is so will do some research. Definitely need will visit a store. What about Ozone? There is a chap here who will sell me one for very favourable prices, which would be a bonus.
spleeft wrote:Blizz, what happened with your accident? I only ask to see if this might help decide on new gear.
Long story and one I am not particularly pround to tell due to it being part due to a careless blasé approach as well as bad luck and early day equipment failings. Two accidents in fact almost a year after one another. The 1st I posted the accident in full on this forum years ago but can't find it now. Only this thread on which refer to the accident :

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5202&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically to cut a long story short I launched a very small 4.5 meter kite (airblast I think) on a beach in a strong wind (force 6) on shore, low tide, loads of space. I the can’t remember exactly, but the for some reason on launching the kite it spiralled round and round out of control in the power zone and dragging me at increasing speed along the beach towards the seawall. I pulled the quick release but being a snap shackle system which at that time was thought acceptable (a new S2 lock in bar) the release under extreme tension would not free me of the kite. As I was dragged on my backside and feet with legs in front I kept pulling at the QR increasingly frantically as I approached rocks and a sea wall.. It failed to release so eventually a brace my self for impact and hit a large bolder with my backside resulting in a crushed vertebra, fractured pelvis and large wound.

I think the reason for the spiralling kite was for launching with a twisted lines and this tiny kite with plenty of power in that wind would turn as fast as a stunt kites thus quickly losing control.

The second time a year later, being desperate to kitesurf in any conditions I chose a beach not suitable due to lack of space, but the only one facing a vaguely ok direction. Very unpredicatable winds. The kite failed to launch properly and drifted in to the power zone (at which I should have triggered the quick release) before I new it the wind caught the kite and yanked me forwards towards a land drain outlet. I simply did not have time at this stage to quick release and chose whilst briefly airbourne to try to control the kite or my position and place my body in the best position for impact or try to land on my feet. I managed to avoid serious impact from the drain outlet but then landed flat on my back on the hard sand. The result was I again crushed a vertebra. (The kite was an AMP). These split second decisions are entirely instinctual and those instincts my not be telling you to let go of that bar.

The second injury caused contined back problems which after two years I found a means to overcoming via constant core stability exercise programs.

yosh
Medium Poster

Postby yosh » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:13 pm

ya Blizzard i can see why that would have made you take this brake from kiting.... like a few have said the kites now are alot safer...but when used right ofcorse... i was a big Ckite guy and loved the 5th line option but had 2 kites blow the LE (leading edge) the same way when i released on to the 5th line... i ended up using my girls waroo while i had no kite and it did take some getting use to but i dont think id go back to C's.... and the SLE's are getting alot closer now as well.... i dont think you could go wrong with a waroo such great kites... the best way is to try a few and find what fits!!!! its tough some dont have that option... i wish i did, trying to decide on a 08 15m waroo or 14m Nemi..... good luck dude!!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”