Favorite Beaches: C street
Style: wakestyle and kiteloops
Gear: flexifoil ion1 7 and a hadlow pro 11
Brand Affiliation: i am affiliated with flexifoil USA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

hadlow pro first impressions

Postby cSuttner » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:18 am

Hey everyone, finally flew a hadlow pro today!

My friend just got the kite in the 11m size, and we went down to our beach when it was blowing maybe 10 knts (no whitecaps). We kited until the wind dropped a bit, I was on my 12m ion1 which unfortunately admitted defeat that very session (leading edge punctured). I weigh 120lbs and my friend is 150, so we can usually get out when nobody else can, and both of us were on last years 135*40 freeride flexifoil boards. We had the kite set up on the 5 line mode for safety.

We decided to beach fly it first because we figured we couldn't get out on an 11. The first thing that i noticed when i got the kite into the air was the constant power. The powerband never felt jerky or inconsistent like it occationaly did with my ion. The kite is quite fast, but it doesnt seem like it would be too fast for wakestyle (hadlow himself is the proof :)). It turns quickly (even in the light wind I would normaly attribute most of its behavior to a kite smaller in size). Loops were very powerful, and even after the loop the kite just kept on pulling.

Because we felt like the kite had SO MUCH POWER, we decided to try to take it on the water for a bit. We were not staying up wind, but that was to be expected with an 11 in 10 kts. Jumping the kite was quite a shock compared to my ion. You can really send this kite back with quite some force, and when you do the results are very impressive. The first jump I made ripped me off the water so fast. I don't know how high I jumped, but it certainly felt like a lot. The kite was very solid unhooked, and I didn't need to even adjust the power strap before I unhooked and did some flat 3's, but that is to be expected with a c kite.

The limited depower wasn't an issue for me, although if I had one I would probably give it a bit more on the bar. I think that the kite would still depower with a longer throw, as it is similar to the fuel (super wide tips, high aspect, deep profile) which can have heaps of depower if you want it too.

I learned on hybrids, but tried a few c kites along the way which were not entirely satisfactory. I didn't get to fly it for very long, but I was so blown away by this kite that I bought one on a whim. I think that I will keep my hybrids in my quiver for those days that are really gnarly and gusty, but I hope that I will be able to use this kite most of the time as it is such a pleasure to fly.

If you get the chance to fly one, take it, it is a VERY good kite that is worth every penny of its fatty price tag.

If you have any questions about the kite just ask me.

kev o'brien
Medium Poster

Re: hadlow pro first impressions

Postby kev o'brien » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:08 pm

unfortunately you cant get any more de-power out of them, ive tried it with a slingshot bar and it just creates a huge slack in the back lines and no steering

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby prayfawind27 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:30 pm

Thanks for the review , but ,don’t test an 11m in just 10knots you test big kites( 17s and 20s) In light wind. Would you mine a review in high winds, like how it handle gusts ,depower in gust relaunch and boosting., etc. I was thinking bout ordering myself , beside the high price tag and the UK shipping, it may be a really good kite but will Flex foil sell spear bladders and parts, would you be able to get them in the US, I mean having to order stuff from the UK isn’t bad enough.

cSuttner
Medium Poster
Local Beach: east beach, leadbetter

Postby cSuttner » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:47 pm

Of course.

Once i get the kite i will be able to give a much more detailed review on its performance in actual wind. i was just so excited about the kite that i had to write something :D

Oh and you can get them in the US I'm in california.

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med

Postby prayfawind27 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:01 pm

that's good you can get them in the US i was told they will not be on sale in the US can you give me the website of the place where you bought?
cSuttner wrote:Of course.

Once i get the kite i will be able to give a much more detailed review on its performance in actual wind. i was just so excited about the kite that i had to write something :D

Oh and you can get them in the US I'm in california.

cSuttner
Medium Poster

Postby cSuttner » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:48 pm

I ordered the kite from saltairkiteboarding.com from Ammy Naff. I'd talk to her by phone if you are interested in buying the kite because they dont have it on the site yet. they might be backordered for a while now because there is so much demand (i dont think they should have made the pro a limited edition but maybe they'll change that next year with the pro2).
Last edited by cSuttner on Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster

Postby prayfawind27 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:38 pm

thanks, if they are back order that's cool i could wait,i just bought 08 16m Eclipse Thurster that i don't like and trying to sell right now. If i knew they was going to go on sale in the US i wasn't going to buy that Eclipse.
cSuttner wrote:I ordered the kite from saltairkiteboarding.com from ammy naff and peter trow. I'd talk to them by phone if you are interested in buying the kite because they dont have it on the site yet. they might be backordered for a while now because there is so much demand (i dont think they should have made the pro a limited edition but maybe they'll change that next year with the pro2).

cSuttner
Medium Poster

Postby cSuttner » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:13 am

kev o'brien wrote:unfortunately you cant get any more de-power out of them, ive tried it with a slingshot bar and it just creates a huge slack in the back lines and no steering
Really, on a hadlow pro? Because the bar comes with really like 4 inches of chickenloop throw. I was just thinking of bumping it up to 7 or 8. would this be practical or no?

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster

Postby prayfawind27 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:58 am

would work while you're hooked in but it will be a problem when you unhook the extra line will cost the leading edge to flare out and the kite will not be stable while unhooked, that happen to me back in 2004 with my 03 16m Slingshot fuel i wanted more depower so i extended the center line it worked fine till I could ride 16 C kite in over 20knots at 160 lbs and riders over 200lbs was on 12m ,but wasn't stable while unhook.That was years ago maybe these newer kites don't have that problem with that kind of mod.For that kind of cash I shouldn't have to do any kind of mod
cSuttner wrote:
kev o'brien wrote:unfortunately you cant get any more de-power out of them, ive tried it with a slingshot bar and it just creates a huge slack in the back lines and no steering
Really, on a hadlow pro? Because the bar comes with really like 4 inches of chickenloop throw. I was just thinking of bumping it up to 7 or 8. would this be practical or no?

slim
Medium Poster

Postby slim » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:08 am

depower? do you guys know what you talking about? ...its not a bow, use your board to depower it!

Return to “Kitesurfing”