eightsmileys
Frequent Poster
Style: Strapless waveriding
Gear: Liquid Force
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I have listened to Pete Cabrinha!

Postby eightsmileys » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:34 pm

If i am right on an asnews podcast Pete Cabrinha said that there isn't any great innovation on the current 2008 kites. So is Cabrinha working or anything? Soemthing really different? Something with the boards i have heard but haven't got any facts!
Anyone heard something?

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Re: I have listened to Pete Cabrinha!

Postby Windrider » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:24 am

Jeez.. that sounds like a dumb thing for him to say...... plenty of innovation this year:
  • Naish Sigma series with Geotech
    Ocean Rodeo vented kites
    WindWing Bat kite
    Best VP2 bridling system and Canopy Framing
    Wind-X Ultra Flats....
....just to list a few. Maybe his company didn't really have anything innovative this year, but some of the others sure have. Too soon to say which innovations will make it into the "great" category... just have to wait and see who starts copying whom next year...

eightsmileys
Frequent Poster
Style: Strapless waveriding
Gear: Liquid Force

Postby eightsmileys » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:59 am

Question: Are there any innovations from other companies this year that you find particularly interesting?
Answer: I haven't seen anything from the other companies that i would call an innovation.

Between 47-51 minute http://www.asnewswire.com/podcasts/podcast96.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If he is saying this i guess something really strange-innovative will be coming up!

Vin Stefanelli
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Frenzy
Naish Shockwave

Postby Vin Stefanelli » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:17 am

Based on Cabrinha
control bar evolution
over the years
that I have observed,

I woudn't expect much

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:03 am

i agree with Pete Cab, i haven't seen any big eye openers for 2008, In fact looks like the industry is going backwards with C kites getting more popular.

groundclown
Medium Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge, and Seaside
Favorite Beaches: Florence, Sunset, Manzo, and "Lyle" banned by the Rail Road because we are to stupid to cross the tracks I guess.
Gear: Windwing '09, Drops Daze 130X43, OpenOcean custom 6'2" squash tail
Brand Affiliation: Windwing R@D

Postby groundclown » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:49 am

Airtime-kite came out with a new ultra light weight bladder tube. I think they said it is only 45% the weight of the current bladders used by most companys. they are bright orange though, so they show through white kites.
It is ridged, so requires about 1 to 1.5psi less on the kites I have tested it with. makes a cool sound when you thump it too.

The weight of our '08 WW bladders have been reduced by 25% a very noticable differance in performance for the larger kites

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:22 am

Sportsman wrote:Question: Are there any innovations from other companies this year that you find particularly interesting?
Answer: I haven't seen anything from the other companies that i would call an innovation.

Between 47-51 minute http://www.asnewswire.com/podcasts/podcast96.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If he is saying this i guess something really strange-innovative will be coming up!
I agreee, I dont find any of the last years innovations (leading to the present 2008 kites out now) particular "big" to call it a change that moves much...

There are design changes here and there as noted - but IMO nothing really breath-taking 8)

Compared to the kitehistory which has (going/coming from 2 line C kites and early foils) these milestones in my book :

4 line C kites. 2001.
Front line flying C kites. 2002.
5 line C kites. 2004.
Flat/SLE kites. 2005-6.

(The Year shown is when they were more "common" sold/offered and used here in Denmark, from more brands, although seen and used by some here, a bit earlier)

These are the really big innovations in my eyes, that REALLY moved something :thumb:

Also, somewhere in the middle, the foils has evolved and become extremely useable and good.
I would not call this an innovation though, but evolution.

Kindly, Peter Frank

schmoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby schmoe » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:22 pm

I also agree. 2008 has improvement and refinement, but no innovations.

Venturi: Not an innovation, used on kites since 2004.
Thin cuben fiber leading edge: Used on 2007 models as well.
Kite framing: Slingshot has similar panel layouts long ago. IMO its just an engineering design element and not an innovation, if this is an innovation then every stitch on the kite is an innovation.

Sigma and geotech? Maybe. From what I read the benefit is not significant and round kites perform similarly (though I have to try one day).

Bars? No innovations this year, still the same issues as previous years.

Future? Who knows, but 2008 is not a leap year. I am definitely upgrading gear this year, design refinements can have big impact on performance (and stuff gets old anyway).

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:34 pm

As a consumer I'm much more comfortable buying in on a refinement year than an innovation year.

The bow kites were an innovation, but they all kinda suck. The turn, flight and stall characteristics are very different from what most experienced riders are looking for. The real innovation was putting a bridle on the LE. That has been adopted and refined in the latest gen of kites to retain the feel and performance already achieved plus the power, depower and relaunch a bridle affords.

Lets remember that Cabrinha didn't invent the bow.. they just bought into it.

Of course Pete is not going to say he's impressed with any of this years innovations when his kites are in a refinement year.

Still, I kinda agree with him! There are a few decent concepts like the vents, but I don't think Geo Tech is going to have one tenth the impact that bridles have.

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart

Postby Galeltic » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:50 pm

i hope big surprise with better techology / desgin from cabrinha , one day
be patient and wait to see what cabrinha respone

Return to “Kitesurfing”