Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Who are the current top wave riders on our planet?

Forum for kitesurfers
surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Who are the current top wave riders on our planet?

Postby surfingwithkites » Fri May 02, 2008 6:08 am

zero writes, "At the top of the sport, I expect the image must be radical riding in sizable and powerful waves."

I agree, Ian is not the top rider in the world right now. But his riding in this clip points to where it is going. I think he is the most (maybe only) inspiring bow rider at this point and gives hope to the bridled but his kite is not the important part of this video. I think any blimp would do. What is visionary is his flow, style, tricks.

Right now, to be the top rider you need to be able to hit the cake consistantly and with authority on both tacks both strapped and strapless and know when and where to apply both. Can Ian ride Indo? I sort of doubt he can match his game on port tack. Right now Felix is the only guy I have seen who can really smack it with style on either tack strapped or strapless and you can't tell the difference. He is still pretty far ahead in the "show up at any spot on any day and kill it" category. And he does it unhooked which is an added bonus.

jonibebadd
Medium Poster

Postby jonibebadd » Fri May 02, 2008 6:22 am

here is more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCK2deNS ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Fri May 02, 2008 6:57 am

yeah, I'd say this video pretty much relates to my last post. When the waves get a little more down the line Ian doesn't make the top ten list in my book. Not yet. Not even close. But chances are he will pretty soon. He just needs to transition his onshore game a bit more, maybe a better board and kite. I actually think riding unhooked would make it easier for him to transition the other videos performance onto a bigger canvas. Time will tell.

In this video he never really hits the cake. Not even once. Awkward shoulder hacks, chicken jibes and average re-entries pretty much sum it up. Not even close to the level of riding I saw the local strapless heroes doing this afternoon at my local spot and I bet a few other people say the same. This one wouldn't even get notice over here. I think this video really shows the limitations hooked in bow riders face when it comes to keeping the flow going. Looks like his board is really catchy too and causing him all sorts of problems.

I think he will bring it all up to par real soon though. I've seen him ride way better in waves of the same size.

STORMBIRD
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Maui, Isle of Palms South Carolina, South Padre Island Texas, Punta San Carlos Baja Mexico., pak nam pran Thailand...and a secret spot!
Style: kiteloops, unhooked,wavenostraps
Gear: North Vegas,Eclipse Thruster kites, 2007 naish thorn board or strapless surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None, mutt quiver and duct tape

Postby STORMBIRD » Fri May 02, 2008 11:02 am

I say that Ian rips....but yeah, why not unhook a bit, throw in some 360 handlepass reverse floaters etc......But that Felix Pivec guy....no way. :bye: Riding frontside on both tacks is......well I know what it isn't. :baby: :baby: Only somebody from a windsurf background would even consider this. And what about these guys who constantly have both hands on the bar,...especially during their top turns. When I see bad style like this, I am truly disgusted. :nono:these dudes also are windsurfers who changed over. What bothers me the most is that lots of it makes it to movies and mags. kinda lame. .......and for my 2 bits.....I prefer strapless. As far as the hooked or unhooked thing....well ....they are both legit. Unhooked is great for smaller surf (less than double overhead)and light wind(light wind being 25 knots and under)....but it isn't all that practical for big surf combined with 40 knot gusts! And I must admit, that I kinda like moderate AR bow kites as well (being able to slow down is a plus, and they turn fast)............oh yeah and don't forget to crosstrain by riding freestyle!

Alan
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Alan » Fri May 02, 2008 5:58 pm

SWK, I do enjoy reading your posts, and the Hawaiian Islands will always be one of the incubators for new trends in the waves, much appreciated. But your arrogance can be a little over the top. I realize that you are pimping your boards and AirRush, hopefully this is not influencing your comments. Constructive criticism is great, but it becomes suspect when there is no substance to it. Your last comments were so far off (for me anyway) ...... kind of wierd how different people can view the same thing and come to such a different opinion.

Then again, maybe we are not comparing apples to apples. Could you please post some recent video footage of Felix and the other "local strapless heros". The footage of Felix I have seen ----- I would actually rate Ian higher for a number of reasons. But maybe the footage I saw of Felix was old.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Sat May 03, 2008 5:22 pm

this is a cool skater trick as well.

Rockstar
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Rockstar » Sun May 04, 2008 12:21 am

This crap is STILL going !

Why is it when the shit is REALLY going down, surfers use straps ???

http://www.coastalwatch.com/news/articl ... &display=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pinocha
Rare Poster
Local Beach: waddell
Style: waves

Postby pinocha » Sun May 04, 2008 3:22 am

http://cautionkites.com/web/feature_prf_josh.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pinocha
Rare Poster
Local Beach: waddell
Style: waves

Postby pinocha » Sun May 04, 2008 3:30 am

i think it doesnt matter what you ride or how u ride, ie strapped or unstrapped or hooked or unhooked- if u rip u rip. its not going to matter what u ride. people who sit here and say that ur a pussy if u cant ride strapless are idiots...... i know people who kill it on both. anyone who is good will tell u the same. its all about what the person likes.

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Sun May 04, 2008 4:29 am

now that was cool. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”