Local Beach: Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: My own beach
Style: freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad, 9m/11m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Puerto rico kiting

Postby kiter147 » Thu May 22, 2008 11:34 pm

Here in pr we have many great places to kite on the island. And it would be great if more people would come down here and enjoy the nice weather, we also have a really nice beach located in San Juan ocean park where it is perfect to have some nice competitions. Also on the other side of the island are really good waves.

detourpr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Juan
Favorite Beaches: Parguera (PR), St. Marteen, Aruba, Cabarete
Style: Freestyle, Freeride
Gear: SS RPM, North Fuse, Skywalker, LF
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Puerto rico kiting

Postby detourpr » Fri May 23, 2008 2:27 am

He's right, PR is a great place to visit now in the summer.
Great beaches, awesome nightlife, not expensive....
visitors from US don't need Visa or passport, just your US drivers license

check locals riding Flatwater kiting in Parguera, south west Puerto Rico...

This place is always flat, even at 25+ knots

pd sorry for the music, it gets better later with Red Hot Chili Peppers

SLOKITER
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cayucos, Pismo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cayucos, La Ventana, Nantucket
Gear: North

Postby SLOKITER » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:06 pm

A group of us are heading down around new years and staying at Shacks. I hear it is an experts only spot. Do you know of some other alternatives as well for intermediate riders. Our group is intermediate to extreme.

kiter147
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: My own beach
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad, 9m/11m

Postby kiter147 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:44 pm

there are a couple of other spots i know, but do you guys want to be with more kiters or without other guys and just have some time with your friends?
SLOKITER wrote:A group of us are heading down around new years and staying at Shacks. I hear it is an experts only spot. Do you know of some other alternatives as well for intermediate riders. Our group is intermediate to extreme.

blow me till sundown
Rare Poster

Postby blow me till sundown » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:27 am

Puerto Rico is an awesome place for kiting! Kited at Shacks and San Juan and plan to hopefully make it an annual trip. If you are going to Shacks, read up on Sea Urchins!

SLOKITER
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cayucos, Pismo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cayucos, La Ventana, Nantucket
Gear: North

Postby SLOKITER » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:12 pm

We don't care if there are any other kiters around. We are use to small crowds but can handle larger ones for primo spots.

Habi
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Puerto Rico
Gear: Anything
Brand Affiliation: Kite Banging

Postby Habi » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:42 am

PR is surrounded by beautifull beaches , incredible surf and wind!! Shacks in the northwest is a nice wave spot suited for advanced riders and for those who are up to the challenge !! Parguera is the most popular flat water spot on the southwest but is difficult unless you pay for a trip or rent the boat to get there!!! Ocean Park Kite Beach is the most popular in town , where you'll see a few of the best riders and a lot of GIRLS!!!!!!!! Beginners are not allowed unless they are with the local instructor .It will maximize your experience and obvious your riding. This is the spot that everybody loves because it's location, wind conditions and safe launch. The rest around here is crap , Isla Verde is maybe your choice with limited space and unsafe launch site , with lots of buildings that fetch the wind and hazards waiting to say HI!!! The most popular shop is Vela Uno where they will tell you to go windsurfing instead of kitesurfing and will rip you off with their packages and not so friendly service ...!! So go Sky Banditz Kiteboarding which is the top of the line with the best gear and lesson deals and trips. After cruising all day we cruising all night in Old Sa Juan or La Placita de Santurce where you'll see how it goes !!

But before you go kite think:

Like any other spot you will see the locals and rules , make sure you follow them as well respect them.
Also most of the spot around the Island is for Bodyboarding , Surfing and beach goers , bully's and some that in a blink they will swept you too !!! So avoid to kite in any of these spots if you don't want to expend the rest of the trip doing other activities instead of Kiteboarding.Where ever you go to the beach keep it clean !!! It doesn't matter your level or skill of riding , just look for the local knowledge and the proper instruction to guide you . Puerto Rico is the Hawwaii of the Atlantic so come and enjoy our secrets and traditions ... But keep one thing in mind : be nice and respect !!! if not get ready to grind with the locals !! :cool2:

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:13 pm

"Ocean Park Kite Beach is the most popular in town , where you'll see a few of the best riders and a lot of GIRLS!!!!!!!!"

Hi mate,

Thanks for the info.
What is the weather like end of January and through Feb?
Is there flat water at Ocean Park Kite Beach or is it choppy?
How far to hotels and to town?
Thanks.

travisjonak
Medium Poster

Postby travisjonak » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:54 pm

My father lives on the island of Vieques off the east coast of PR and it is sick. The locals told me I was the first person they had ever seen kite there about a year ago. The whole south side is sick beaches with not a soul on them. If you go to the south east side by boat, the only way out because that side was a bombing run for the Marines back in the day and is now closed to road traffic, you will find a beach with side on conditions during the east winds. Hope you guys go check it out, I love the peacefullness.

mz16
Frequent Poster

Postby mz16 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:46 pm

what months are the most consistent winds for going to puerto rico? I can only go for like 7-10 days, want to kite as much as possible, especially in your beautiful waves? when is the best time of year?

Return to “Travel”