switching stance

Forum for kitesurfers
surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

switching stance

Postby surfingwithkites » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:37 pm

Interesting historical footnote to Slaters complete and utter domination of pro surfing. From yesterdays ripcurl event, after posting a 9.0 and a 10 he caught a third good one and had this to say,

"“I got a pretty good barrel out the back and then I faded my bottom turn as much as I could before pulling up into that section and I knew I would have to switch stance to make it a good score,” Slater said. “When I did that, I lost all my speed and the barrel closed over me and I was able to reset and get under the lip before coming out again. Best switch-foot wave I’ve ever had.”

He got a 9.17 riding switch at Padang. First time in a major ASP event that anyone has ever switched stance to deliberately get a higher score.

In the future will surfers switch more often? Will there be more skate and snowboard influence?

Seems likely.

How does it relate to kiting? I guess it throws a monkey wrench into a theory that has been tossed about on this forum that says something like "switching stance isn't valid in surfing and so kiters should ride backside too"

Kyle_F
Frequent Poster
Style: All-around
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Re: switching stance

Postby Kyle_F » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:35 pm

Any video of Slater's wave? Must have been like Clark Kent in a phone booth. :)

Backside, switch, straps, no straps. Surfing is what you make of it right? I think it's all valid if it puts a smile on your face. :D

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:53 pm

Did he mean he was able to fit the shape of the barrel better with the switched stance?

ktouhey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider

Postby ktouhey » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:39 pm

yeah, and he did it unhooked and strapless too.. hah. j/k

SWK - you make some good points.
That move was insane (and to pull it off in a heat is just nuts too).
...but the real thing of it is that it was a 'move.' It's not that he got points for taking off switch, it's that he did for switching while riding.
Same as Jamie O' doing it at pipe. Its abuot the actual switch.

I dunno... I agree though. There really is something to it.
It'll be interesting to see if the rest of the surf world takes it on, or if it becomes the hand-plant of snowboarding - ie. a gimmick.

Myself, I'm torn on the backside/switch thing in kiting. I've yet to make an opinion and try to do both. I guess even for top guys it come down to person style... right now at least.

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:08 am

Makes sense.
In my own recreational way I switch stance depending on what the waves are doing ie ride backside in slower peeling waves or ride frontside in faster sectioning waves, on either left or right handers.

I put in a bit of practice riding toeside on my un favoured tack to learn to ride switch.

I still prefer to ride frontside on both tacks cos it is easier to see and time the wave.

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:35 am

surfingwithkites wrote:How does it relate to kiting? I guess it throws a monkey wrench into a theory that has been tossed about on this forum that says something like "switching stance isn't valid in surfing and so kiters should ride backside too"
It sounds like the surfers are finally starting to emulate the kiters. Kiters are the only ones to even consider riding switch stance on waves before this. Glad we can give Slater some new ideas.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:11 pm

Airush Kiteboarding wrote:Any video of Slater's wave? Must have been like Clark Kent in a phone booth. :)

Backside, switch, straps, no straps. Surfing is what you make of it right? I think it's all valid if it puts a smile on your face. :D
http://5ones.com/video-kelly-slaters-sw ... barrel-29/

A direct Youtube link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyNnkYcEUD8&fmt=18

kiterMD
Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle
Gear: 2006 North Vegas 16m, 9m
2006 North Rhino 12m
2007 Flexi Ion2 14.5m
2006 LF Element 140, 2007 Escalades
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kiterMD » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:39 pm

surfingwithkites wrote:How does it relate to kiting? I guess it throws a monkey wrench into a theory that has been tossed about on this forum that says something like "switching stance isn't valid in surfing and so kiters should ride backside too"
From the looks of the vid, he switched because he already had a few nice backside barrels and wanted some variety. I'd say that throws a monkey wrench into the theory that waves should only be kited frontside, but what the hell do i know...

flyakite
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby flyakite » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:57 am

It sounds like the surfers are finally starting to emulate the kiters. Kiters are the only ones to even consider riding switch stance on waves before this. Glad we can give Slater some new ideas.[/quote] Rory Russel was known to ride pipe And backdoor regular and switch in the 70's long be fore kiting.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:04 am

Great switch foot surfers have always been around although they mostly seem to be from Hawaii for some reason with a heavy dose of Makaha influence.

Although Rabbit Kekai was perfecting it in Waikiki 60+ years ago.

Paul Strauch Jr. was and is an amazing talent. One of the most under-rated talents in the sports history probably.

Buffalo Keaulana and his sons. Rusty K. won the world longboard tour and it's hard to tell what his "normal" stance is.

Rory before he sniffed too much glue.

Lance Ho'okano and a host of other local rippers switch it up all the time. The list is long.

Kiting hasn't really influenced anything yet that I have seen but I think it will come into its own someday and have some influence.

Return to “Kitesurfing”