littlekitegirl
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Buggy/car rental in Brazil

Postby littlekitegirl » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:24 pm

Hello...

My boyfriend and I are heading off to Brazil for 3 weeks in November. We really want to get the most out of short our trip - so I figure renting a car or buggy is a must! (4x4 definitely too expensive). With the recent changes in currency, I know this trip is going to be $$$ so budget is a concern. Of course, a reliable vehicle is important!

My understanding is that they're available everywhere in Fortaleza/Cumbuco - but does anybody know anywhere specific that's reliable? Where is the cheapest place to get one?

How much more freedom (really) will a buggy give us, or is a car totally acceptable?

thanks for any tips...

hmattar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: salinas/PA-Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Salinas/PA Cumbuco/CE

Re: Buggy/car rental in Brazil

Postby hmattar » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:52 am

If you're both just using the buggy in cumbuco for moving around between sailing spots it's ok, but not for the city(fortaleza) or when it rains heeh.
At cumbuco last time i used a regular non 4x4 car to walk to spots hotels restaurants and when i did some downwinds with friends i just hired a "buggy cab" to bring us back from the end of the downwind to the hotel(like 5 dollars hehe).

Cumbuco
Medium Poster

Postby Cumbuco » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:29 am

Hi there

check the car rental rates of www.Cumbuco.com :thumb:

Cheers from Cumbuco

:thumb:

littlekitegirl
Medium Poster

Postby littlekitegirl » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:56 am

We won't be using the car to get to Fortaleza, in fact... hopefully we won't have to go back there until we go home! We plan on spending most of our time in smaller, less busy, locations! We're not really after any night life...

Would a buggy be suitable? I'm most concerned its going to be too $$ or its going to break down (although my boyfriend is somewhat mechanically inclined!)

LKG

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:01 am

well, if you rent cheap, you will get cheap...and have lots of problems with the buggy.
And it sounds like, you want to drive a lot, and get quiet far away from the place where you rented it...keep that in mind.

Buggies do have problems, but they can also easy be fixed...

I would stay few days in Cumbuco, look around for other people who want to do a trip as well, and then rent a 4x4 together and split costs.

You can get normal cars for good prices, around 50 Reais a day. Normally you can get to all spots with this car as well. Sure, driving along the beach is the best ever...but the nice things always cost more!

Have a great trip!

littlekitegirl
Medium Poster

Postby littlekitegirl » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:50 pm

thanks for the info... 50 reais isn't too bad, maybe we'll just rent a car for the majority of the trip - and see if we can get a buggy for a few days.

Is it better to rent in Fortaleza or Cumbuco? or.... is that totally irrelevant?

lkg

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:01 pm

Fortaleza should have better rates...but I advice to rent the car in Cumbuco, since you should not be driving in Fortaleza at night when you arrive.

Rent a room in Cumbuco for the first days, let the guesthouse have pick you up with a taxi.
Then stay a day and get local info, when, where, what, how much, and two days later rent a car and take off. You even might find some people to share a buggy/4x4 etc.
Tell the guesthouse you are staying in to ask their other guest if someone wants to travel along the coast...

Or rent a buggy in Cumbuco, do day tours to Taiba and Paracuru, then rent a normal car, and drive even further...

Tons of options!

brunobv
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Porto Alegre
Favorite Beaches: Ibiraquera
Style: Freestyle, Wavestyle
Gear: Cabrinha, Underground, North

Postby brunobv » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:19 pm

Well, defintily Toby´s tips are all good!! :thumb:

I´m from the south of Brasil, and I go often to Cumbuco (been there last week, 15knots morning and late afternoon, 25 knots between 2pm-5pm every day!!!)...

Well, I have a slightly different point of view...

I do not suggest you to rent a regular car in Cumbuco... the rental companys over there are not exactly professional. They may charge extra fees at the delivery moment, pointing at "sand in the engine", or some invisible scrap at the roof, or something else like that, and the cars are usually very well used...

Suggestions: rent a buggy at cumbuco, OR, pick a local buggy cab OR rent a car at the airport in fortaleza and bring/rent a GPS...

Rates at the airport are always higher, but the cars are all brand new, and they won´t give you any surprises fees at the return - and they accept credit cards.... "Localiza" or "Hertz" was always OK for me...!

and, of course... Welcome to Brazil!!!

littlekitegirl
Medium Poster

Postby littlekitegirl » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:39 pm

Great advice!! Thanks so much :)

We're actually arriving early in the morning - so renting a car at the aiport (or in Fortaleza) is an option for us. We sorta want to travel solo, so sharing a 4x4 isn't our preference (on this trip). We do plan on spending the first day or two in Cumbuco... to get settled, kite - and get local advice.

anyone have any favourite places to stay in Cumbuco? (affordable & close to the beach with good food!).

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:03 pm

ok, early in the morning is different, that should work fine.

There are many options to stay at...but get into a guesthouse (pousada).
Only breakfast, but nice food options for dinner around.

See some ads on this site:
http://www.kitebeaches.com/beach/cumbuco.html

to the right you will find ads with more info and links.

Return to “Kitesurfing”