Brand Affiliation: None.

Best introduces the 2009 Nemesis HP

Postby Toby » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:35 pm

Best News

Best introduces the 2009 Nemesis HP - Twister Tech and Cuben Equipped
09_HP_none_action.jpg
HD interview with Peter about Twister Tech
http://media.bestkiteboarding.com/video ... hi_res.wmv

[kiteforumtv]http://www.kiteforum.tv/video/Peter_Sti ... _Tech.html[/kiteforumtv]

The Twister Tech White Paper which explains how and why Twister Tech works can be found at
http://media.bestkiteboarding.com/manua ... _paper.pdf
09HP_TwisterTech_Poster_low_res.jpg
click to enlarge

Listen to the ASNews podcast with Peter Stiewe:

[kiteforumtv]http://www.kiteforum.tv/video/ASNEWS_ne ... __125.html[/kiteforumtv]

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Best introduces the 2009 Nemesis HP

Postby Toby » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:37 pm

Twister TechFAQ:

What is Twister Tech?
Twister Tech is a new leading edge construction technology that allows increased twisting of the leading
edge in response to steering input. This increased twisting ability delivers a faster, tighter turning kite.

How does Twister tech work?
Whenever you pull on your bar to turn your kite, most of your steering input is absorbed by the structure
of the LE. The wingtips flare as they steer the kite, but the canopy flare never extends much beyond the
wingtips. This is because the LE cloth absorbs most of the steering input. With Twister Tech, ring shaped
segments of Kevlar reinforced fabric are built into the leading edge, allowing each canopy segment to
twist independently in response to rider steering input.

Twister Tech allows your steering input to flare more of the canopy, not just the wingtip panels. With more
of your canopy able to react to your steering input, you get faster and tighter turning.

How is twister Tech integrated into the LE?
Twister tech is built into the leading edge using an internally reinforced construction. Internal tape seams
are double stitched to form a sandwich construction that is both strong and light.

Does Twister Tech affect the durability of the leading edge?
The Twister Tech inserts are built with Kevlar, the same material used in bullet-proof vests. Because
Twister Tech can move in response to twisting loads, it actually reduces the stress experienced by the
leading edge of the kite making it more durable than ever.

Was Twister Tech invented at Best?
Twister Tech is a Patent Pending design created entirely in-house by our kite designer Peter Stiewe. It is
the product of 18 months of continuous R&D into maximizing the true potential of the SLE kite design.

Does Twister Tech affect the stability of the kite?
Twister Tech only affects the way in which the leading edge reacts to twisting loads generated due to
rider steering input. The fiber orientation in the fabric is highly resistant to loads in any other direction, so
it has no negative effect on tip to tip stability.

Does Twister Tech give a lighter bar feel during turning?
Yes. Because the leading edge of the kite is no longer wastefully absorbing steering input, the kite has a
lighter bar feel when turning and reacts more quickly to your input.

Does Twister Tech affect back line pressure when not turning?
Back line pressure is a product of the canopy profile and the kite's center of effort. Twister Tech does not
affect bar pressure unless the kite is turning.

Does Twister Tech improve the wind range of my kite?
Having a faster turning kite allows you to make better use of lighter wind conditions. The addition of
Twister Tech to the 09 Nemesis HP helps make light wind kiting more fun.

Does Twister Tech affect the upwind ability of my kite?
Twister Tech has no direct effect on the upwind ability of your kite. Our stiff and incredibly thin Cuben
Equipped leading edge design allows for much better upwind riding performance than the fatter Dacron
leading edges found on any other inflatable kite.

Does Twister Tech affect the kite's hangtime performance?
Twister Tech works to improve the handling performance of your kite. The exceptional hang-time
capabilities of the 09 Nemesis HP are a product of its aerodynamic characteristics, high aspect ratio, ultra
thin leading edge and high lift/drag ratio. These remain intact with Twister Tech.

Does Twister Tech improve the jumping performance of the 09 Nemesis HP?
By allowing your kite to turn faster and tighter, Twister Tech will help you improve the timing of all your
jumps and tricks.

Can I use a smaller bar on the new 09 Nemesis HP?
Definitely! In 2009, the cross-over kite size for using the smaller 45cm bar is the 12m Nemesis HP.
Anything below 12m we strongly recommend only using the 45cm bar.

Innis
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Innis » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:41 pm

Doesn't all that twist cause wear on the bladder?

I'd be worried that the friction between the cuben and the bladder and/or the repeated twisting and untwisting of the bladder at the twist points could cause holes and, therefore, leeks.

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:49 pm

i hope it stays good, with sand in the LE....

but when this works.. wow.. Love best kites..

Juan, San
Rare Poster

Postby Juan, San » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:02 am

I don't know, but it would be easy to mitigate this. Think of the flap that protects the zipper from your leading edge bladder.

extremecontrol
Medium Poster

Postby extremecontrol » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:17 am

Hi this is a great Kite I was in Cabarte for the Best Demo and I have been flying the 10 mt most of the time and I love it. I had the 2008 and I can say that the 09 really turning super fast especially on the edge of the power zone.
so I get a 12 mt HP 09 in Cabarete to bring in my school in Tulum and have people try and here again I have been using it mostly every day......really really nice kite, fast light, stable unhooked easy to relaunch.
Right about the problem the best to do is to fly fly and fly this kite and than we will see..........

I already fly best since 4 year ago, really have been tried all of them model, the old Nemy, and the Yarga Waroo, Waroo Pro, Nemesis Hp 08 and now 09 .............and these guys are really growing in the BEST way every time the performance improves, the equipment details are improving as well.
and the service is great!!!!!
Thanks guy for your work...............

--
Marco Cristofanelli
IKO Instructor level 2 Senior
www.extremecontrol.net
www.uolisnah.com
info@extremecontrol.net
Mex. Cel. 52 1 984 74 54555

shogun1204
Medium Poster
Style: Freesytle, Surf

Postby shogun1204 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:07 am

I flew the Proto type last Novemeber, and the guys at our local shop are still riding the Proto to this day. Has the twister tech, and it was a very nice kite. No problems with bladders or anything with the kite. Can't wait to try the released version when they get into the shop.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:05 am

The HP is out there today, first kites should be with local shops by the end of next week, selected retailers already have demo kites.

Give it a spin, we think you'll like it. :wink:

munteruk
Frequent Poster

Postby munteruk » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:26 am

This looks like more of the same bullshit marketing that Best are famous for. A new gimmick to help pump sales of the new season kites.

What point is leading edge twist if the canopy is still hanging in one piece off the back of it? without a split in the canopy how is the leading edge going to rotate? Flaps on a plane can sit at different angles because they aren't continuous. How can this work on a kite canopy?

Has best actually measured the "twist" occurring at the joints? Where is the demonstration that the joints do anything other than generate hype?

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:53 pm

Munter, the answers are all in the white paper, and it's not too complicated so i'm sure you'll be able to understand it if you try.

When you turn the bar the ability of a typical LE to resist bias/twisting loads means it absorbs steering input, adding Twister Tech to the LE allows it to twist in response to these loads improving turning circle and turning speed.

Because of the way it's constructed Twister tech retains all the tip to tip stiffness of your typical Cuben Equipped LE, ie lots, so you get better turning but keep everything that you liked about the HP last year.

If your LE was just a straight tube then Twister Tech would be pointless, but because all the sections are joined together at different angles, a couple of mm twist at one joint near the center of the kite actually ends up being a significant amount of offset at the wingtip. Stick your hands out in front of you palms down, touch thumb tips together, now twist, see how little twisting you need where your thumbs meet to get a significant offset at the ends of your index fingers, that's exactly what Twister Tech enables, but there's not just one joint, there are many across the entire LE, all placed to give the maximum twist and fastest turning.

You are correct when you mention that the canopy is now a limiting factor in how much the kite can twist to turn, though not anywhere near as much as the LE was, maybe Peter will solve that bit of marketing bullshit next year, maybe the HP is fast enough without it, who knows, we'll let the riders decide.
Last edited by sq225917 on Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”