Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

We need to get our act together, idiot on the loose?

Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

We need to get our act together, idiot on the loose?

Postby RickI » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:39 am

... well not anymore.

Latino of www.swfloridakiteboarding.com found and translated this account. At first I thought, get this out of sight. Thinking about it further, no, we need to be aware of this and do what we can to bring pressure on people behaving like this. No one has the right to screw with bystanders, the authorities or our sport in the fashion described. I suspect there have been other cases, fortunately rare ones. Keeping things in perspective, I wonder how many people were arrested in the same area that week for disorderly conduct, drunkeness, etc.. Still, we need to watchout for our access when and where we can. Kiteboarding can be viewed as newsworthy, particularly the more negative parts. No one should mess with our sport in this way.

(I TRANSLATED AS BEST I COULD)

Two local policemen jumped in to the water to stop a kitesurfer

The individual endangered the lives of the two policemen the individual was identified as Alonso Martinez Rio, aged 39 a citizen of Madrid, was arrested yesterday by the Local Police on duty at beaches accused of endangering the lives of bathers, disobedience and resisting authority.

The events occurred about five p.m. on the beach of Navel, close to La Pena. The Local Police had been called by phone by a group of bathers, complaining the presence of a kiteboarder to close to the people bathing, conducting maneuvers near the edge and threatening to swimmers, among them many children.

A couple of policemen on duty at beaches travelled to the area, checking the veracity of the complaint. From the shore, made signs for the athlete to come to land but he ignored them. At the insistence of the policemen finally he approached them but keeping a safe distance, to ask them what they wanted. The policemen requested him to disembark to identify him self because he was kiting in a prohibited are. He disobeyed and began to maneuver to get away, at which time one of the policemen jumped in to the water to stop him, clinging to the board. Faced with this, the kiteboarder continued maneuvering flight, dragging the officer who did not drop the board.

In view of this, the other police jumped into the water to support his partner, but this time the athlete is caught, dropped and placed him under arrest(hand cufted), not without some difficulty since they were in an area with nearly one meter of water.
The arrest was witnessed by numerous bathers, many of whom came to congratulate the two members of the police force.

The detainee, who was taken to the Civil Guard barracks, must meet, besides the crime with which he is charged for any damage caused in the material police (radio, mobile phones and ammunition) that were unsuitable to be submerged in water. The estimated value of that exceeds 1,500 Euros.

http://www.forokiters.com/viewtopic.php?t=29868
Last edited by RickI on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East
Has thanked: 0

Re: We need to get our act together, idiot on the loose

Postby chemosavi » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:58 am

C'mon Rickl, That's just a new trick called the rake, shake and bake. You know, rake em down, shake the cops and bake in jail. Keep your eyes peeled for anything else we need to be aware of. Thanks for the heads up.

jdub87
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby jdub87 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:12 am

wow he got stuck with a stiff bill alright

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:18 am

he's an idiot only for not being able to outrun a swimming policeman while on a kite - this guy must truly suck.

but seriously, you can't blame him based on the reactions of people on the beach. I've self landed in 30 knots and as my kite is coming down some lady and her tiny kid are rushing up BEHIND the kite to see it up close - even as I'm yelling in two languages and waving my hands to move away. No common sense. On the other extreme some beach goers get scared even if they're a large distance upwind of you.

Maybe he was reckless, but I'd want to hear it from a kiter to believe it...

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:34 am

I haven't seen the original Spanish version, have lousy command of the language anyway. The translation says he was in a prohibited area. I recall some portions of Spain banned kiteboarding at one time, at least during prime beach season, correct? I think associations were formed and some access regained likely with restrictions. Still, if the what appears above is correct, he shouldn't have been there in the first place especially tooling through bathers enough to motivate a call to the police, no?

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:37 am

bet he was a 5th liner, huh?

a bow kiter would have gotten away. lol

rotflmfao.

bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:59 am

The story is true ...it appeared in our local news and even on TV ....

Fact is that the kiter was kiting for more than one hour in a banned area ( 100 meters away was a kitesurfing allowed area ) and the guy was jumping and doing tricks , crashing his kite and all near the shore while several people and also children were on the water .... till the bystanders had enough and called the police .

From 20 km beaches we get at most 1 km all together for kite during the summer and the last thing we need is " palurdos " like him .

Saludos

Franz

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Re: We need to get our act together, idiot on the loose?

Postby Eduardo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:02 am

ok - i'll agree he's an idiot

but i'll stick to my message that for each idiot kiter there's an idiot beach goer.

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:42 am

Eduardo wrote:ok - i'll agree he's an idiot

but i'll stick to my message that for each idiot kiter there's an idiot beach goer.
There's a difference between someone who knowingly endangers others, and people who don't understand when they aren't really in danger.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:17 am

They should've shot him with a tranquilizer dart!

Return to “Kitesurfing”