Forum for kitesurfers
ian c
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bow kites are gaaay as

Postby ian c » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:38 pm

shit can happen on c kites too no doubt about it.

I am not anti bow as I know they have saved many peoples asses for sure, but It is my experience that relying on pulley and bridle kites is not safe for high wind riding, and also because in marketing them they claim "bigger wind ranges" than c kites - alternatively the advert could read "bigger carnage when bows go wrong and you can't let go safely" all because the advert may have encouraged you to go out in higher wind with a bigger kite simply because you have more depower rather than taking the right sized kite for the day.

Your lifeline can be being able to steer your kite and you go and stick up to 8 extra mechanical potential failure points on that may make the kite steer/loop one way without stopping, and then add to that the inherent loops these kite do will all be above your head with much less chance of the kite hitting the water, and after many loops you will not be able to flag the kite your only option will be to let go, unless of course the tangle is around your harness/you and then you are royally screwed time to pray.

no kite is safe, kitesurfing is not safe, and adverts encouraging riders to go out on kites that are too big for the amount of wind simply because they have better depower are irresponsible.

If you have the knowledge then you can make the choice of what you want to do as long as it does not put risk to others. I personally think that self risk (managed) is part of the appeal of kiting and like so many other activities would be dull as without it.

Vin Stefanelli
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Frenzy
Naish Shockwave

Postby Vin Stefanelli » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:32 am

EP was pretty quiet during the whole
Kevin Korn-hole Kearney

thing

and he was on a C-kite
maybe the 2 are one and the same! eh?

ian c
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ian c » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:05 am

where did you read it was c kite?

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:21 am

Vin Stefanelli wrote:EP was pretty quiet during the whole
Kevin Korn-hole Kearney

thing

and he was on a C-kite
maybe the 2 are one and the same! eh?
He wasn't on a C kite. That was first reported but found to be wrong. He was on a 9m bow and tried a jump om the beach when it all went ugly,,,,,and the rest is history.

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:40 am

Despite the fact that EP's post is only to wind you guys up, I will add the following re Sle's vs 5 line C's.

I have fuels on 5th line set ups and now have a 6m and 9m Nano which are 4 line Sle's, technically called Delta C kites, with bridles and only two pulleys at the kite between the front and back lines in a none critical area.

C kites with an adj. 5th line are more stable in gusty difficult conditions on the beach. With 5th line pulled on it kills the lift and the kite sits in the sky no worries.

Bridled kites in difficult beach conditions are more prone to surging or luffing and need more rider input. ie you can't just sheet them all the way out and park them, they need some rear line tension to fly which means some power to fly vs a 5th line used to kill lift in a C kite.

On the water wave riding I find most Sle's depower to much, so I limit the bar travel to retain the amount of power I like , similar to a C kite.

For most advanced kite riding depower is not what is wanted.

The reason I have got the Nano's is that they have a lot more range and turn tighter and faster than the C kites I have, which I like for wave riding, providing I limit the bar throw to keep power in the kite.

I don't know why so much hype put on depower.
A depowered kite is useless for turning, jumping, transitions etc. C kites are very good for controlled power. Sle's are only just starting to match the performance and response of C kites now.

I like the less pull in the turns of theNano's for wave riding on a surfboard, but if I was still into freestyle on a TT I would still ride only C kites.

My thoughts,,,,,,,,,,so take what you all want from it. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”