Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: slingshot 2009 fuels

Postby ulx » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:08 am

[quote="SEIGO AKADO"]Best thing about '09 Fuel is.If you stay kite low ,un-hook and edge hard.Kite don't move to forward just stay same position and cleate more pop power.[...]Normaly surported LE kite goes forward which mean is to far up to edge of window when you edge hard.

I am trying to get into unhooked waveriding these days. As I understand it is important to be able to send the kite to the edge of the window (by slowing down the board) if you want to lose power. I guess that means that the 09 fuels are not first choice for this kind of thing. Is that so?

SEIGO AKADO
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SEIGO AKADO » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:54 am

ulx wrote:send the kite to the edge of the window (by slowing down the board) if you want to lose power. I guess that means that the 09 fuels are not first choice for this kind of thing. Is that so?
I'm trying to say is when you want pop. :jump:

As for unhook wave riding.I used '09 FUEL13 and normal surfboard.
When I get into peak of wave it was over head I sow surfers were both side of me.
I couldn't escape each side either.Wind wasn't strong enough then kite lost tention when I ride wave.
but as soon as I pulled cheken loop by hand it recovered.It was big surprise.

Good kite works better for both freestyle and wave.
I would think to slow down board speed to match to wave is better use bigger board and smaller kite.

People are using too small board and using too big kite.then swing arround the kite and continue jibe then says wave riding.

I really liked to use '09Fuel for wave riding because it try to stay 45 degree angle and a little bit behind of edge of window when I un hooked.It makes very easy to do down the line.

suRff
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: my lifestyle

Postby suRff » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:36 pm

SEIGO AKADO wrote:I'm 96kg and I have '09 FUEL 13,11,9.
I could use FUEL13 and Glide on 5m/s wind.Low end is much better than '08 FUEL.
Any way it's slightly bigger than '08.
Also surprised it makes big pop airtime.
Relaunch is very easy as Rev.

thanks for that. relauch like the REV? as in, lay in the water like a lard ass bow kiter (im kidding :bye: ), pull a back line and go? no swimming toward the kite ever?? how about in marginal conditions?

this would be an amazing advancement for non-bridled kite. anyone else willing to state this claim?

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:34 pm

In medium to high wind you won't have a problem with relaunch. Since the struts are located near the wing tip and pocket in the canopy of the wing tip. This allows you to pull your steering line and allow the wing tip to load up and break surface tension enabling the wing tip to pop up and get into relaunch position.

If your under powered or in light conditions you will have to old school it.

If your on snow you can reverse launch it no problem in any amount of wind. In water you need mid to high wind to do this.

It really works, once i get done editing some video i will try to post it. Kook trying to relaunch 09 Fuel and does it. So after seeing that I'm pretty sure anyone can do it. :wink:

dhia
Rare Poster

Postby dhia » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:06 am

is it true there are no 5 lines on the new sails.

PGH
Frequent Poster

Postby PGH » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:22 pm

Been told here in uk that there will be a 5th line pack for riders wanting the option..

whats the wind ranges for the 09's ?

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:55 pm

Wind Graph for the 09 Fuel.

Not 100% sure but they were talking about having a 5th line kit or at least the leader line coming of the 5th line attachment point. Either way it is very simple to put a 5th line on the kite when it has the tab, so it should be all good. :naughty:
Attachments
wind_graph_fuel II.jpg

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:28 pm

:P Yeah, if there is a kit, the leader (kite end) would seem to be key for avoiding the wrap-and-rip scenario. Anyway, still dig them :)
If I was a company, and sick of trying to please everybody (impossible) I would just throw in 3m of amsteel to hook to the tab, and say, at that point, up to you to rig how ya like, etc.

steve_t
Medium Poster

Postby steve_t » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:42 am

peel wrote:Confused.com

It seems that there is quite a few people out there that have the new fuels but no one has written any real reviews yet ? why There is normally ... Can any one spill the beans for the poor bastards that have not had the chance yet
I've had a couple runs on my 9 2009 Fuel. First time earlier this week was a bit on the lame side (still recovering from a rib injury), yesterday could push it a bit harder.

I'm 75kg and ride a 130 misfit, 2006 bar with 4x20M lines (basically, the Len10 bar).

Went from a 2006 Fuel 9 to this model. Key points and differences:

*Sweet-spot seems pretty much spot on as per Shy's graph - although I haven't tried the high-end yet.

*Kiteloops are much smoother and continuous, with full power all the way round (tried both hooked and unhooked). The 06 had a big power spike in the first half of the loop, but then lost a bit of power on the upstroke. Wider tips on the 09 probably help a lot. Kite loops quicker and with no jelly-fishing, all the way up.

*Flies pretty fast and powerful. For example, on one transition, I did the standard "crank the bar in the opposite direction" right before switching rails to tack; suddenly the kite was already on the other side of the window - wasn't expecting it so quickly :o . I think this is due to muscle-memory with the 06 which was a tad bit slower, so now am getting used to the 09's quicker speed (and perhaps more responsive bar input).

*Kite sits a bit more forward in the window on the 09 than the 06. Maybe due to higher aspect ratio (?). More similar to 07/08 Fuels than prior year(s).

*Unhooking very predictable, no surprises, doesn't move.

*Relaunch is pretty easy, although I haven't tested the whole "pull on one line" bow-style launch, since apparently it's feasible with the 09.

*Build quality - no complaints, looks solid. Nice addition of stopper plug for the input nipple.

Coming from a four-line Fuel background, this kite required absolutely no guess-work: just set-up, and ride. Overall I would say the kite has some very nice performance enhancements/refinements, there is no "re-inventing of the wheel", no steps backwards. This is what keeps me on Fuels year after year. :thumb:

Gustas
Rare Poster
Gear: SS

Postby Gustas » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:25 am

shymac wrote:Wind Graph for the 09 Fuel.
wind_graph_fuel II.jpg
So 13m will be the biggest kite?

Why there is also 15m?
and same range?
Attachments
slingshot_fuel_wind_range.jpg.png
slingshot_fuel_wind_range.jpg.png (59.68 KiB) Viewed 1496 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”