Forum for kitesurfers
Minime
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ozone Instinct SportII/ EdgeII bar pressure + steering force

Postby Minime » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:23 am

Hi there,

I´m currently on a sport II in 11 sqm. Feeling on the bar is absolutely perfect for me, so here´s my questions:

- how is the edgeII comparing to the sport II regarding bar pressure and steering forces?

- I´d like to switch to edgeII because of more height in jumps. Is it worth it to change or are differences in possible height of jumps marginal??

PS: I´m on my 11 sportII at 76 kgs without any problems out in winds of 34 knots (not even touching the adjuster)

panchito
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone Instinct SportII/ EdgeII bar pressure + steering force

Postby panchito » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:19 pm

Saludos
Last edited by panchito on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minime
Rare Poster

Postby Minime » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:11 pm

txs for your quick answer!
I suppose the edge is alot gruntier and I could not hold on to it up to 35 knots then, or isn´t there any difference regarding top end of both kites?

man I´d love to test by myself but no opportunities here to demo one.

I´d need a sport with the lift of an edge, cause I´m alot into kitelooping..

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:43 pm

Saludos
Last edited by panchito on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Postby mikelet » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:23 pm

I suppose the edge is alot gruntier and I could not hold on to it up to 35 knots then, or isn´t there any difference regarding top end of both kites?
Well i would not call the Edge as gruntier.Grunt is delivered by lower aspect kites that sits far back in the window so i supose if you're into wakestyle moves and kiteloops the Sport II should be better.
Raw power on the Edge comes very high in the window,near the zenith,during the upstroke,so if you fail your timming to finish a kiteloop with the kite up in the zenith,you're going to fall like a rock,anyway the kite is super fast through the window,so i think it's a bit more technical kite and at the end it's up to you....
Very good low end on Edge II ,way better than Sport,it creates a ton of apparent wind by sining the kite and getting upwind it's a childs play.Boost very high and deliver awsome speed.Also it could be good on waves with onshore winds due it's ability to point you higher upwind,but keep moving the kite cause like Panchito said,it doesn't like slack on the lines.
So for me at 83kg,i just love that kites in 13 and 11m. when it gets windier i prefer to go out on smaller Sports.

Ozone : Keep the Edge for 09 :thumb:

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:38 pm

There is a third option. If you like a quality kite with that paragliding DNA consider Gin Zulu. It has more bar pressure but not too much aspect ratio my guess is something between Sport and Light. A bit slower with constant power which is good for tricks. And it has a real bar. The Ozone bar is a real turn off. I even managed to kill two of those new wonder beal lines due to that stupid seam in the middle of the insert that rusts by the way. The last straw for me were the bladders. The fucking things brake in places where they can not be fixed like around the valves or in some curved place on the strut. Try to order one from Ozone like any other spare part 2-3 months after 2-3 tries and bunch of wrong parts.

Minime
Rare Poster

Postby Minime » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:15 pm

hi,
sorry but I cannot confirm anything written in the last post. ozone kites just rock, period. show me a 11 you could hold on to up to 40 knots at 75 kgs. you´ll not be able to find one.
the lines and bar is not a issue at all, I only want to "upgrade" to an edge because of the more lift thing.
bar pressure is just perfect for me on the sportII due to a tendonitis (ellbow) and performance is top notch.

so guys pls let me know if its worth it or not :roll:

if theres really 20-30percent more raw power regarding lift on the edge I´m sold (at more or less same bar pressure and steering input)

YngvaiMalmsteve
Medium Poster

Postby YngvaiMalmsteve » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:47 pm

marlboroughman wrote:There is a third option. If you like a quality kite with that paragliding DNA consider Gin Zulu. It has more bar pressure but not too much aspect ratio my guess is something between Sport and Light. A bit slower with constant power which is good for tricks. And it has a real bar. The Ozone bar is a real turn off. I even managed to kill two of those new wonder beal lines due to that stupid seam in the middle of the insert that rusts by the way. The last straw for me were the bladders. The fucking things brake in places where they can not be fixed like around the valves or in some curved place on the strut. Try to order one from Ozone like any other spare part 2-3 months after 2-3 tries and bunch of wrong parts.
MM, I don't even know why you ride Ozones. You obviously hate them. You hijack every Ozone thread to bash them.

Rare Poster

Postby 2868 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:12 am

Marlboroughman does not even ride Ozone's. He's a pimp for Gin and a few other brands. Ozone are the biggest threat in his area so he makes this stuff up in attempt to discredit them and discourage their sales. Anyone whose flown them realises straight away that they are a great and solid kite which may or may not suit different people. He searches for Ozone threads on a regular basis and starts sledging them. You can do a search of his posts for the ridiculous claims he makes and peoples ridicule of his comments.... the guys a joke and needs to get some ethics in his marketing tactics.... either that, or not be so stupidly obvious about his ulterior motives.

Personally, I ride Ozone Edges and love them purely for the amazing jumps and hangtime they provide. I'm not sponsored so if a better kite for these purposes comes along, I'll change over to it. For now, I've tried an awful lot of kites and nothing else even comes close in the boosting department.

Cheers

garyb
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Rest Bay, Porthcawl
Favorite Beaches: Kilcummin, Brandon Bay, Co Kerry.
Bellmullet, west coast, Ireland
Mexico's, Gwithian, Cornwall, UK
Style: Waves!
Gear: Ozone C4. 5,7,9 metre
Home built surfboards, 5'6" squash tail surfboard, 5'10" squash tail surfboard, 6'2" bat tail quad. + 5' 4" Underground Freewave

Postby garyb » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:08 am

This year I changed over to Ozone Instinct Light II s (5,7 &12) purely for using in waves. I have owned most makes of kites, including Flexifoil, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Best, F1, Caution, and tried several other makes before chosing Ozone. All have had one thing or another which I didn't like.
I am now trying to justify to myself either a 9m sport or light. I cannot recommend these kites highly enough. They do everything I need. I have dropped them in nasty shore dumps and watched them roll over several times, and so far, they have always relaunched without damage. I have 'fallen' down waves and lines have gone slack, but the kites just seem to keep flying. I cannot comment on their suitability for high powered tricks etc, that's not my thing. The low bar pressure took some getting used to after my Flexi Ion 2 and Atoms, but now I realise this is the way to go for what I do.
As has been said so many times, it's down to personal choice, but I will stay with Ozone as long as they stay with the latest technology. I have not experienced any of the problems mentioned earlier.

Return to “Kitesurfing”