Forum for kitesurfers
.Joel
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nobody Buys C-Kites?

Postby .Joel » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:53 pm

I was reading the BEST Kiteboarding forum and every now and again there's something absurd that comes out that makes me laugh. This time it was Simon Clark, head of BEST Kiteboarding's Marketing department.

Source: http://forum.bestkiteboarding.com/viewtopic.php?t=8266

Riiiight.... That's why I just went from Bows to 3x North Vegas kites. The C-Kite world has progressed, just like the Bows and Hybrids. I have a 2004 Storm III and the progress and depower levels offered in the new Fuels and the Vegas is amazing comepared to what was available back then.

Perhaps there's not a market for the Yarga, however there seems to be a happy population of Fuels, Hadlow Pros and Vegas kites floating around.

Regards,

.Joel

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Nobody Buys C-Kites?

Postby Toby » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:02 pm

ok, now we are trapped into the definition of kites again...

In my opinion, C kites developed into Hybrids, like Torch, Vegas etc

And those kites do sell.

What about the Yarga?

Just looking at the beach here in Cumbuco, out of 30 kites I see about 4 hybrids, 2008 and 2009.

.Joel
Medium Poster

Postby .Joel » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:09 pm

Toby wrote:ok, now we are trapped into the definition of kites again...

In my opinion, C kites developed into Hybrids, like Torch, Vegas etc

And those kites do sell.

What about the Yarga?

Just looking at the beach here in Cumbuco, out of 30 kites I see about 4 hybrids, 2008 and 2009.
Last weekend we hit a small beach about 2 km up the coast as the main beach gets packed. C kites galore, and new models as well. We took a drive down to see the chaos before returning to our own little spot.
Toby wrote:What about the Yarga?
Discontinued.

Torch a hybrid?

Toby I know it's your birthday, but smoke a little less of that birthday grass :naughty:

Regards,

.Joel

cretan_runner
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Drepano Patras, Greece // Platanias, Agia Marina, Crete
Favorite Beaches: Elafonissi // Crete
Drepano // Patras // Greece
Style: Freeride
Gear: JN Prima Donna 3 7m, 9m // Balance Onieva 135

Postby cretan_runner » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:21 pm

Most riders in my beach also ride with Fuels....
Only the new-comers here prefer a hybrid or a bow but after they learn they lean towards to buy a C-kite...
Something else, the C-kiters don't post, they kite...!!!
I'm going for a delta shape right now, that is IMO a C with hybrid capabilities...

suRff
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: my lifestyle

Postby suRff » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:35 pm

regardless of the design buzz word,,, one could argue that a true 'C' kite no longer sells. even the new Fuel has more delta like shape than a few years ago. the whole argument is kind of pointless (unless of course there is no wind and it beats talking about work). everything including your vegas is hybrid'ish' these days.

what i want is a simple 4 line kite with no pulleys, no bridle, good range, flys well unhooked, smooth power through the loops and turns, and has about 50% de-power capabilities with a short throw of the bar. call it whatever you want! 8)

edit: oops :bye: ! i did not mean delta actually, i meant more 'hybrid'. it was early and i had not had my coffee. for the record i fly mostly fuels. just moved up from 06 to 08. the improvements are incremental but still great. looking forward to trying the 7m 09 Fuel in the right conditions. i will also try a generator when i get a chance..
Last edited by suRff on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kite-it-right
Medium Poster

Postby kite-it-right » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:44 pm

thats not true

80percent of the kites on our local beach are c kites.. and some of the best u.k riders to suit.

still going very strong particularly the Fuel and the Vegas

As said C kite design have significantly progressed since.

an amazing amount of people have switched back to Ckites this year and have progressed in riding style so quickly.

The Vegas 08, although many sceptics will call it a hybrid, is an extremely practical c kite, and an example of how the c kite has come on...

i dont think c kites are dead.. and i hope many more riders this year will recognise the benefits, and vast improvents in design, since the early days

if i didnt have a c kite, i dont think id kite, as i am yet to find a bridled kite that matches the performance, safety and thrill that they offer me
Last edited by kite-it-right on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Optimus_Angles

Postby Optimus_Angles » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:46 pm

its very important to define which kites are true C Kites these days in My eyes its the Aaron Pro Model, and the fuel. Vegas is just a big bowmo now just look at what happened to the rhino. Upsetting to hear that from best as the yarga has been compared to the above kites and with a little work could be up there.

Got to earn the dosh though sell the bows. why bother developing a C kite which works well? Because you get a Brand image like Flexi or Slingshot have, and riders pushing whats possible.

Pedro,

kitesurfar
Rare Poster

Postby kitesurfar » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:56 pm

Are you kidding? More and more people are going back to Cs. Maybe Best cant make any good C, thats why they are talking that s--t. I personally ride Torch and more and more experienced riders are coming back to C.s. And only newcomers are too stupid to buy bows,, which are good only for riding back and forward and jumping :-) (for them these are safe and maybe right kites, but cs are superior to them:)). If I loop the kite, I want to have some power in a kite, not like bows, sle-s and hybrids :jump: .

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:34 pm

I usually fly a fuel, but last weekend had a session in 18-24kts on a 12m 2006 reactor, a kite I always wanted to try.
It was great, instant response to steering input, fast across the window, totally predictable, little power with the trim strap pulled in a bit overhead, but huge power sining the kite or once up to speed.
Kiting is about making power and destroying power, not just about "sheeting out."
That's what C kites do, and they can require more skill and quick reactions, if you want high performance.
All the other types are fine, some even go 50knots, but once you really learn how to handle a kite, you ought to try a C kite, just for pure fun, in my opinion, at least.
Any of the good C's from the last 3 years are much better than early models.
I hope to keep flying them and buying them for a while!

BTW: I don't see the fuel as a delta -deltas have little tips, fuel has big tips, for one thing....
And then there's %PA, bridles, throw, profile, etc.

yosh
Medium Poster

Postby yosh » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:51 pm

fuel delta??? i wont even get into that... but ya C's are on the rise again!!! Im going back after a 2 year leave.... how can they not when one of the main pushes of SLE/BOW are
"C like feel" i never got that... just ride a C if you want the C like feel... cause the SLE/bow im sorry but even though there are some sweet models now that are nice kites... there never gona feel just like a C does!!! If best stuck with the 04/06 yarga and didnt put out all the inbetweens they would be selling alot more c kites than they did this past year... straight up...

Return to “Kitesurfing”