bluerocketboy
Medium Poster
Style: wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: first impresions on fuel 9m 2009

Postby bluerocketboy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:13 pm

i've only had them a few days and only used the 7 meter but i've unhooked and popped a few raileys with the kite low, it felt super stable and stayed quite deep in the window giving some nice pop. if your thinking about getting some i would try them first as they are powerfull for their size e.g my 09 seven meter is as powerfull as my 07 nine meter fuel.

magic%20Ed
Frequent Poster

Postby magic%20Ed » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:03 pm

The 2009 Fuels are a bit bigger or more effective than 2007/2008. Where I used the 9 last year, i can allmost use the 7 now. Only in the low-end I'm missing about 1-2 knots.

Compared to the Rev the turning speed is lower, but the Fuels maintain the power through turning, while the Rev is more on/off.

With the 7 I attach the front lines on the longest setting (last knot from the kite, freeride attachment), the backlines on the shortest setting. With the 11 it is a bit different: same knots, doesn't matter which, also freeride attachment. But the 7 I have used in the tropics, the 11 I have only used in europe with drysuit and gloves, which give a different feeling.

Kitepirate
Rare Poster

Postby Kitepirate » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:07 pm

@morfin, maybe the wind (18-23 kn) was not enough for your weight, 18-23 kn is the best windrage for my 11 fuel 2008 (80 kg) during kiteloops, and the kite ist very fast :evil:
Try the 9 in more wind :thumb:
Torsten

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:57 pm

Morfin wrote:Hola!
Im coming from riding hybrids since january 2007 when I got my 10m Rebel. After that its been only hybrids. I've been improving a little and hearing a lot of good things about this kite so I decided to get one.
The other two kites of my quiver are a 11m REV and a 14m Rebel. The Rev I've been riding it on about 20m lines.
I weigh 95kg and ride a 132x42 undergroung flx.
So my first try on the fuel the wind was about 18-23. Everybody else was on similar size kites.
The kite felt heavy, with a lot of input on the bar required for it to turn. I tried some kiteloops and it definately pulls more than a hybrid, but as I said, was a little disapointed for feeling it kind of heavy or slow.
I want to think that simply the wind was not enough and that the kite likes to be well powered to perform as it should. What do you think?
Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Gracias.

morfin
Looks like it was your first time on a C right ?

Is like learning to drive with automatic and then wanting to like at the first try a manual shift gear car :naughty:

Have fun

Saludos

Franz

PGH
Frequent Poster

Postby PGH » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:57 pm

was told when i got my 7-9-11 09 fuels that they are indeed oversized which gives the better low end over 07/08's
Damm right about the power through the turns : they really pull and its lovely.

One thing i've found is the depower of them......its "maybe" not as much on the bar as some claim.
When riding quite powered i've found the bar throw has an effect to half way up but unlike the revs you can't shut the power off any further with the bar but have to edge harder to control the kite.
Used my 7m yesterday in winds of 24-34 knots and it was just awesome..!!!
i would say i could push my 07 7m fuel higher but i'd say that was due to having a tunable 5th line.

Only ridden the 9m once but it performed as i would expect it to compared to my 07 9m which was my favourite kite

( started a new thread re 5th line and fuels)

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:13 pm

My question on these kites still is, anyone tried purely unhooked/fixed style?
As in launch unhooked, ride unhooked, don't hook in,
except maybe for upwind, or if you get overpowered...
I like this style.

Morfin
Frequent Poster

Postby Morfin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:29 pm

Yesterday I finally got to taste my 9m 2009 fuel properly. the wind was strong enough for it to fly perfectly. I really liked it.
The only kiteforum.com I have to other fuel riders is: where do you attach your leash suicide mode? I try using the safety release system that comes with this bar and the mess on the lines every time could not finish a handlepass made me attach the leash to the chicken loop. Every time I let go of the bar when I had the leash on the safety system I ended up back on the beach untangling the lines.
So I decided to attach the leash on the chickenloop. Now I have anothern problem, when I let go of the bar, and the bar makes contact with the water, this causes the stopper to travel down towards the bar reducing the depower on the kite. Yesterday on my last trick of the day I let go of the bar, the stopper comes all the way to the bar keeping the kite fully powered and causing it to involuntarily relaunch, when Im strugling to reach back the bar, I accidentaly acctivate the quick release system. The red thing you pull when things dont go right. And the kite flies to the jungle. Luckily nothing happend to the kite.
So, where do I attach the leash, on the CL rope? and what could you suggest on the stopper thing coming down?
Hope I made myself clear. Thanks for the coments.
Beto.

baller
Frequent Poster

Postby baller » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:57 pm

I don't have a fuel or a slingy bar, but in response to what you describe couldn't you just clip to the CL itself, instead of to the CL lines?

Morfin
Frequent Poster

Postby Morfin » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:20 pm

baller wrote:I don't have a fuel or a slingy bar, but in response to what you describe couldn't you just clip to the CL itself, instead of to the CL lines?
Thats exactly where I had the leash connected to. And when the safety release system activater accidentally, the kite went away.
thank you.

bluerocketboy
Medium Poster
Style: wakestyle

Postby bluerocketboy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:47 pm

morfin my 07's were good with the leash attached to the CL lines, i would have thought it'd be ok on the 09's. do u use the stopper ball? you could always remove it if it keeps causing u problems, mines on there but i don't use it

BWD do u ride a surfboard? i've never really heard of people riding unhooked all the time these days (saw it a lot in the beginnings). next time i head out i'll ride around for a bit unhooked and see what its like, i can only imagine really good

Return to “Kitesurfing”