Forum for kitesurfers
ADEN
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

hurt wrist, but want to kite tomorrow!

Postby ADEN » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:29 pm

hi there,
I have injured my wrist..im not too sure whether i have sprained it or if i have stretched some tendons. :-?
could anyone with advice please let me know how long for a sprained wrist and also how long if i have got stretched tendons till i am able to do freestyle manouvres again (unhooking.)
will greatly appreciate.
Aden.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: hurt wrist, but want to kite tomorrow!

Postby RickI » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:19 pm

If you are concerned about it you should have it checked out. Advice on here is usually well intended but lacking a lot of details of what your condition is (or a medical degree for that matter in my case).

That said, what causes you pain or discomfort in hand and wrist movements? Have you had any loss of range of motion or strength? If so, how? Is there now a clicking or mobility within one wrist that isn't in the other? How did it happen? I sprained both wrists, without really knowing it and made things quite a bit worse by resuming kiting before they were healed.

ADEN
Medium Poster

Postby ADEN » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:32 pm

im pretty sure i did it when undoing my harness.
there isnt a clicking noise and it kinda feels like an ache when bending my wrist up and down.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:49 pm

ADEN wrote:im pretty sure i did it when undoing my harness.
there isnt a clicking noise and it kinda feels like an ache when bending my wrist up and down.
Does it hurt when you rotate it, like turning a key to start a car, shaking hands or clapping? If not, you may have a more minor strain (strain = tear). Depending on what is torn, how bad, what you do to heal it (rest and rehab) will likely determine how things go from here. The problem with ligament and tendon strains is they're are prone to reoccur in the area of the original injury. Yours may be a more minor strain, lets hope so.

As a generality in dealing with significant strains, I would suggest still having it checked out and by a doctor with good experience in your issue (sports specialization with a good rep). Not all doctors do. I would act on their instructions if they make sense and are likely to address the problem. If not, perhaps find some from a doctor that do.

In general you could consider icing it, several times a day for around 10 minutes each time. You can buy velcro wrists braces at Sports Authority or a local drugstore (like this one, without the dumb graphics http://tinyurl.com/alrdcf ). Wearing one of those to stabilize the ligament and tendons through the day should help with the healing as well. When you return to kiting, you may want to wear the Sports Authority brace. You really don't notice it much. Depending on how serious the strain is, there is a number of things they do in PT that can help significantly. The trick is not to make it more serious, hint.
Last edited by RickI on Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby panchito » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:56 pm

If .....

you are around 20 : care less , take a few pain killers .

you are around 30 : be careful , you know it wont get better if you don´t rest until you´re fine

you are around 40 : don´t be stupid , if you keep pushing it , it will get worst and it will take months to heal .

Saludos

Franz

ADEN
Medium Poster

Postby ADEN » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:42 pm

no it doesnt hurt when turning a key or when clapping...only when i bend it up or down.
i will get it checked out before i kite next.
btw i am 16.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:13 am

Franz is right, age and fast healing ability counts for quite a bit. Hope you've been icing and resting it. That might be enough for a minor strain. As far as how long to rest it before kiting, tough call from this end. I wouldn't just take some pain killers and go to it, with some injuries anyway. Even young guys can mess things up pretty badly with enough repetition sometimes. Not as often as with older folks but it happens at times.

thaswisskid
Medium Poster
Local Beach: f*** face
Favorite Beaches: n/a
Gear: asfadfvwsadfc
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby thaswisskid » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:11 am

Just tape your wrist up, unless it goes purple and swells like crazy which means that something is broken tape it up and you`ll be fine. After going to the doctors for sprains a couple of times you just realize that they will tell you to not use it blah, blah, blah... you go out anyway and end up just fine after wasting your time waiting in line.
That`s what I would do anyway, been doing and except for a jammed toe that was probably broken I`m all good.
Your choice dude sit on the beach, or kite...

ADEN
Medium Poster

Postby ADEN » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:49 am

thaswisskid wrote:Just tape your wrist up, unless it goes purple and swells like crazy which means that something is broken tape it up and you`ll be fine. After going to the doctors for sprains a couple of times you just realize that they will tell you to not use it blah, blah, blah... you go out anyway and end up just fine after wasting your time waiting in line.
That`s what I would do anyway, been doing and except for a jammed toe that was probably broken I`m all good.
Your choice dude sit on the beach, or kite...
yer, i went kiting..taped it alls good.
lucky my GP kites..saw him at the beach and just asked for his opinion anyway.
cheers.

Return to “Kitesurfing”