Aki
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Furia 1 vs Furia 2

Postby Aki » Wed May 13, 2009 9:05 pm

Hi
I currently have the Furia 1 (7, 9 &13) and am mainly using them for kiting in waves (mainly onshore in the UK) with my SRT. Wicked kites and ultra manouvrable.

My only complaint would be the slight gutlessness which means that you often need to fly the kite pretty hard to keep it powered. The official blurb seems to suggest that Takoon have addressed this by deepening the profile in particular in the larger sizes.

So...
1) do people feel that the bottom end had changed significantly? on the 13? on the 7? BTW I'm only 73kg so I'm not looking for a Bulldozer to drag me around.
2) are the Furia 2s that much better?

I'm trying to gauge whether its worth forking out the extra cash to upgrade or whether the changes are a nice but not really dramatic improvements justifying the spend.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Cheers

Aki

reinis
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: CF, TK, OR, FS, o`neill

Re: Furia 1 vs Furia 2

Postby reinis » Wed May 13, 2009 9:16 pm

if you are deeply in waves then perhaps it`s worth waiting for the new Pure kite from TK, that is designed for waves. should be available in early july.

kitesuffer
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesuffer » Fri May 15, 2009 8:01 am

Jsut had my frst ride on the Furia 2 9m. I also own the Furia 1 9 and have used it a lot.
The F2 has much better low end power, slightly higher bar pressure and is even more stable with slack lines than the already good F1. It also jumps better. My only criticism is I really like the stopper hand grenade on the old bars and that has been replaced with a stopper ball with a thumb screw

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri May 15, 2009 9:12 am

kitesuffer wrote:Jsut had my frst ride on the Furia 2 9m. I also own the Furia 1 9 and have used it a lot.
The F2 has much better low end power, slightly higher bar pressure and is even more stable with slack lines than the already good F1. It also jumps better. My only criticism is I really like the stopper hand grenade on the old bars and that has been replaced with a stopper ball with a thumb screw
Can only agree with above :thumb:

Apart from the stopper - I did not like the "big" old one, but the new small ball is excellent because you can just "tug it away" up high when you dont use it (most often as I ride waves where a stopper is not good), but it does not sit there like a big clumsy thing :P
And for freestyle you can use it again (or if you have short arms) 8)

Kindly, Peter Frank

kitesuffer
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesuffer » Fri May 15, 2009 11:25 am

Peter,
Have you ridden the F2 13m? How would you compare it with the Nova 2 12 (awesome low end for a 12 but tended to stall with the bar in) in terms of low end?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri May 15, 2009 12:12 pm

kitesuffer wrote:Peter,
Have you ridden the F2 13m? How would you compare it with the Nova 2 12 (awesome low end for a 12 but tended to stall with the bar in) in terms of low end?
Not that much, as for my weight (around 75kg), I dont use bigger than 11m2 for "normal" conditions :thumb: (or a 12 as with the ENova2 and Nova2)

For light wind the 11m2 Nova3 is my "big kite", for freestyle and everything :D
Still very fast, and fast turning - and HUGE raw pull !

I've invested in a Furia2 11m2 for "normal" conditions, and a Nova3 11m2 for light wind condtions - works fine 8)
As the Furia2 is extremely fast, and have the ability to be depowered a lot and more through the window with a bit faster profile than the Nova3.
Sounds odd to have two kites the same size maybe - but worked PERFECT for me, as they are different and for some reason it is the area that determines when a kite is too big when you are light :lol:

For ultra light wind (and another board, maybe a raceboard) - I use a bigger kite occasionally, yes.
We are some surfers here "sharing" big light wind kites, as they are used quite rare, and under very special conditions only (special high pressure summerweather for longer periods f.ex - but we dont have that very often....)
So here we have a 13m2 Nova3 (sometimes with extra long lines) and a JN 15m2 Da Vinci Bat 8) (we are not millionaires any of us... so thats a good way to get a "luxury" kite)

But all these (have also tried other kites/other brands) kite sizes SUCK to anything but light wind IMO, when under75kg.

Thats why I stop at 11-12m2 with my weight, for the "good" sizes usable for waves and freestyle without feeling "big" :D

The 13m2 Furia2 has about the same low end as the Nova2 I think....

Cant say for sure though, as I've only ridden it a couple of days (a demo kite) - and the Nova2 is "5 newer kites" old now:
Nova2 - Furia - Enova - Nova3 - Enova2 - Furia2
But the Furia2 in 13 is a VERY different kite than the Nova2.
Lower AR and REALLY fast turning :thumb:

Do not backstall easy like the Nova2 could - and you can still "slow the kite down a lot" on purpose in waves if you like (that goes for all sizes)

But as said - for my weight these kite sizes (13 and up) are usually not "interesting" at all....

:- ) Peter Frank

breathe
Frequent Poster

Postby breathe » Tue May 26, 2009 2:42 am

I rode my Nova 2 12m for three years and absolutely loved it, but have recently upgraded to the Furia 2 13m and 9m.

I had only had a few sessions on the Furia 2, but so far I absolutely love them! The 13m F2 has about the same range as the N2, but is way faster and has a much shorted and more dramatic power stroke, and I think that it is awesome for wave riding. It takes time to get use to the shorter stroke though because it is very different than the N2, and jumping feels very different as well, but I think that both just take getting use to. The F2 has more bar pressure, not a ton, but noticeably more than the N2 (I am a big fan of lighter bar pressure, and the F2 is not too much).

The N2 and the F2 are both great in gusty conditions, but the F2 is better and absolutely eats gusts (I think that it comes down to the shorter and more dramatic power stroke). Also, I accidently rode into a huge wind shadow and found that the kite didn't fall out of the sky as dramatically as the N2 might have, somehow the F2 just behaved better).

The F2 relaunches much, much better than the N2. The depower strap is also way, way better and easier to use. The F2 is definitely happier in stronger wind than lighter winds, and performs better and better as wind increases.

Overall I really love the F2 and it feels like a more "modern kite". It is smooth, fast, easy to turn on/off the power, improved bar, and super solid in the air!

I'm 90kg and found that the F2 13m had about the same power as the N2 12m.

kitesuffer
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesuffer » Tue May 26, 2009 6:39 am

Thanks Peter and Breathe. Good info. Will be interesting to see some reviews of the bigger Pure as they trickle in. Otherwise the F2 13 sounds like the heir to my N2

Return to “Kitesurfing”