Forum for kitesurfers
FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: The new Spleene Q

Postby FredBGG » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:42 pm

The belly up video looks very disturbing........ :o :o
Looks really complicated even if you can walk around, winds perfect, waters flat and you are standing on the beach.
Lots of spaggetti to mess with.
Don't understand the audio so maybe I'm missing something.

The rest is pretty intresting.

just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush
Been thanked: 0

Postby just do it » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:04 pm

Yes, you are missing something here.
He is trying to provoke the kite to invert and to loop through itself.
In the commentary he says that the kite sits nicely on its back without trying to flutter upwards or showing signs to invert.
From this, belly up position you normally just pull one of the two sidelines and the kite slowly projects itself back into the wind and relaunches.
The reason why he runs towards it and does some funny stuff is to get it to lift up and invert as might happen when you ride towards it with speed when it is in this position.
If however the kite ever does flutter up from this position and tries to invert itself, as he demonstrates by provoking this scenario, then just activate the red release before the kite inverts. This is what he shows in the video.
The kite then immediatly goes to the belly down position and you have stopped it from inverting and looping through itself.
One thing we could both do is to sail 4miles out to sea, me on my 9m "Q" and you on your 10m Speed2. We could then activate both our safety systems, then wait for 5min, re-assemble it and then relaunch our kites. Lets add 2m swell to this and see what happens.
The winner is the one who lives to see another day :thumb:

DanDanTheFlyingMan
Medium Poster

Postby DanDanTheFlyingMan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:00 am

ElHombre wrote:Thats the trick - its leashless (for hocked riders) you engage the safety while the chickenloop remains at the harness.

But for unhooked riding there is a attachement - not seen up to now
What a Crap, unsafe control system!

A leash should be connected to a flagging line, so when engaged, totally depowers the kite.

Your primary safety (red thing) will do no more than the bar being pushed out (depower kite) like seen with the BEST control system.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:31 am

just do it wrote:Yes, you are missing something here.
In the commentary he says that the kite sits nicely on its back without trying to flutter upwards or showing signs to invert.
From this, belly up position you normally just pull one of the two sidelines and the kite slowly projects itself back into the wind and relaunches.
The reason why he runs towards it and does some funny stuff is to get it to lift up and invert as might happen when you ride towards it with speed when it is in this position.
If however the kite ever does flutter up from this position and tries to invert itself, as he demonstrates by provoking this scenario, then just activate the red release before the kite inverts. This is what he shows in the video.
The kite then immediatly goes to the belly down position and you have stopped it from inverting and looping through itself.
One thing we could both do is to sail 4miles out to sea, me on my 9m "Q" and you on your 10m Speed2. We could then activate both our safety systems, then wait for 5min, re-assemble it and then relaunch our kites. Lets add 2m swell to this and see what happens.
4 Miles out??????? No way... Also I don't have a Speed 2 10m.

I have activated the 5th line on my Psycho 4 10 meter three times in deep water.
No problem relaunching, but three times is no way of telling for sure how reliable it will be all the time.

Really messed up a jump very badley the other day and somehow for the first time scince I've had the kite (psycho 4 15) I managed to invert it. Flew it gently down onto it's leading edge... swam towards the kite... to the side away from the lines and got it to reinvert. Glad that worked as I was just upwind of a big ass nasty area of kelp.

Going back the the belly up video.... when he got the kite back to a belly down situation after activating the safety wouldn't it have been better if he had assembled the safety again before rotating the kite around..... looks like he would not have needed to pull in so much rear line.
Also ther would be less pull with the kite belly down rather than on it's leading edge.
Also I noticed from the video that when reasembling the red safety thanks to the fact that its a double line running throug a loop or pully at the top end it should be easier tio reasemble .... you probably don't have to pull with as much streanght thanks to the pully.... is that correct?

Anyway the guy looks pretty enthusiastic about the kite.... good thing seeing as he has tested a bunch of stuff.

If I see one here on the West Coast I'll be sure to try it out.... hopefully give it a spin in the waves.

Would be nice to see some video of it in action... kiting that is... waves too :thumb:

just do it
Very Frequent Poster

Postby just do it » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:03 am

FredBGG wrote:
just do it wrote:Yes, you are missing something here.
Going back the the belly up video.... when he got the kite back to a belly down situation after activating the safety wouldn't it have been better if he had assembled the safety again before rotating the kite around..... looks like he would not have needed to pull in so much rear line.
Yes, you are absolutely right. It would have been easier to re-assemble the quick release before he started the relaunching and turning around of the kite. He didn't do it on purpose as he wanted to demonstrate that you can still easily re-assemble the quick release when the kite is fully projected back into the wind and has some pull in it.
He just wanted to show to the sceptics that there isn't much pull on the quick release and that it is easy enough to pull it towards you even when there is pull in the kite.

just do it
Very Frequent Poster

Postby just do it » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:17 am

DanDanTheFlyingMan wrote:
ElHombre wrote:Thats the trick - its leashless (for hocked riders) you engage the safety while the chickenloop remains at the harness.

But for unhooked riding there is a attachement - not seen up to now
What a Crap, unsafe control system!

A leash should be connected to a flagging line, so when engaged, totally depowers the kite.

Your primary safety (red thing) will do no more than the bar being pushed out (depower kite) like seen with the BEST control system.
The Spleene quick release system pulls in on both frontlines until the kite just hangs from the inner front-bridle connection points.
Because of the shape of the kite and of its bridle pulley system this is enough for the kite to fully depower and generally end up belly down on its face.
Exactly the same basic principle is used by pretty much everyone who makes kite of a similar shape.
On the F-One and Core GT kite for example they add a virtual short 5th-line which does nothing different. It also only pulls on both front-lines until the kite is depowered enough.
The same is the case on the North Evo when used on 4-lines.
They all work on the principle of pulling in both front-lines and it proved itself to be perfectly adequate.
On the Spleene "Q" the system has just been neatened up and gets away without another bit of 5th-line.
The system wouldn't work aswell on a Hybrid or a Bow kite because of their shape and because of their different bridle configuration. Maybe that is why you think the Best system was crap though I can't comment on that one as I haven't used it myself.
On the same website the tester also tested the Wainman Rabbit and he straight away changed the Wainman single-line re-ride safety system for a system that pulls in on both front-lines because he thought that the standard system was inadequate for modern riding and unsuitable for teaching.

DanDanTheFlyingMan
Medium Poster

Postby DanDanTheFlyingMan » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:55 am

OK, my apologies.

Looks very decieving without the mini 5th.

So one depower rope actually connects to the front lines above the pull pull depower handles?

Still, no permanent leash attachment?

just do it
Very Frequent Poster

Postby just do it » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:49 am

There is a separate leash attachment O'ring to which you attach the handlepass-leash at the side of the chickenloop. I use it like this because I also do the odd unhooked trick.
However if you never unhook then you wouldn't need a separate handlepass-leash for the systems safety function to work.
So ultimately you get the best of both worlds and it is you choice which set-up you want to use. Both work in conjunction with eachother.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:27 pm

just do it wrote:There is a separate leash attachment O'ring to which you attach the handlepass-leash at the side of the chickenloop. I use it like this because I also do the odd unhooked trick.
However if you never unhook then you wouldn't need a separate handlepass-leash for the systems safety function to work.
So ultimately you get the best of both worlds and it is you choice which set-up you want to use. Both work in conjunction with eachother.
When you attach the leash this way is it a suicide type leash setup or does it activate the red safety?

klimber
Very Frequent Poster

Postby klimber » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:11 pm

so what is the wind range of the kites?

Return to “Kitesurfing”