small kite big board?

Forum for kitesurfers
biggins
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

small kite big board?

Postby biggins » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:00 pm

Anyone using a small fast kite and big board in light winds?

This year, I'm thinking of going small kite and big board and then just swapping to a regular twin for good winds. I'm just tired of slow big kites.

Anyway, what size small kites are you riding in what winds, what type boards are you using with the small kites? surf, large twin, skim?

I see a lot of talk about large kites, or large boards, but not as much about small kites being used in relatively light winds.

Just curious as to what are good options without getting into brand wars.

thanks

pierre.d
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: small kite big board?

Postby pierre.d » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:11 pm

Personally, I use relatively fast big kites (14m) and large boards for light wind !

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:19 pm

I dontthink that was at ALLL what he was looking for a 14m kite is huge i dont even know why kites that big are still being made. I am 210 BTW.
Perfect light wind setup for me is 6.0 directional and 10m Rise

pbmaniac27
Frequent Poster

Postby pbmaniac27 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:50 pm

kites like that are still being made because riding powered is more fun for some than just mowin the lawn

suRff
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: my lifestyle

Postby suRff » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:11 pm

your friends will call you sissy... i weigh 85kg and my biggest kite is 7m. i ride skims and various 6' plus thrusters. small kites fly fast no matter how over or under engineered they are. if park and snooze is your thing better to stick to more manly sized kites. :wink:

diraklib
Medium Poster
Local Beach: the lagoon at Shuraabad, north of Baku on the Caspian Sea
Gear: 138 Flx Underground
08 15m Waroo
07 13m Waroo
07 9m Waroo

Postby diraklib » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:17 pm

honestly, I much prefer going out on my 11 with my Jesus board - you can almost walk on water... instead of dealing with my 15

the thing that is great is that it does not feel like that big a board - 09 Flyboard flydoor L 165x46 - around 7 pounds. We have really gusty-lully conditions so the jesus board keeps you on top of the water when otherwise you'd sink :thumb:

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Monnot » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:37 pm

I don't have a super big board, but I do ride on ice in the winter (kinda the same thing--I can walk on water then). On the ice, I almost always use a 9m kite (my smallest). When you don't need big pull to keep you going, it's nice to use a little, responsive kite. They're way more fun, and the apparent wind you get can let you do at least baby jumps. I've even used a trainer kite and hit 30 mph with it (lots of wind and almost no snow). On the water, I've considered using a big, floaty windsurfer with a little kite on those light wind days just for a change of pace. Couldn't use the straps, but wouldn't need to. I'd like to try a big Door (or equivalent) in those conditions to see what it's like.

Don

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:56 pm

I understand you perfectly Biggins !

But your weight is important 8)

For me a small kite as a big kite would be a 10m2 :thumb:

Works perfect as the max size for my 75 kg with a big board, if you want "good" kites and not slow dogs :P

An 11 or 12m2 is a big kite for small boards or ultra light wind only :o

For most waveriders, the 9m2 is the max size, also for heavier riders (and a 5m2 is a must of course) :D

Although I also use a bigger kite myself, sometimes...

Kindly, Peter Frank

lobodomar
Frequent Poster

Postby lobodomar » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:32 pm

biggins wrote:Anyone using a small fast kite and big board in light winds?

This year, I'm thinking of going small kite and big board and then just swapping to a regular twin for good winds. I'm just tired of slow big kites.

Anyway, what size small kites are you riding in what winds, what type boards are you using with the small kites? surf, large twin, skim?

I see a lot of talk about large kites, or large boards, but not as much about small kites being used in relatively light winds.

Just curious as to what are good options without getting into brand wars.

thanks

biggins,

I think to get the most out of small kites in light winds you really need a directional board, and ride strapless or at least with the back foot free.
It's also important get a forward flying (high L/D) kite, because kiting in light wind is all about going upwind. A flat kite (high depower, in light wind, yes!!) is also important, because in the upward strokes you need to sheet out to minimize drag as much as you can while pointing upwind - keeping an upright stance in the board here is key)
Last year I bought a used waroo 2007 7m for my girlfriend to learn kiting. As I later found out it actually sucks as a begginer kite (bad relaunche, inverts on the water, backstalls easily), but being a high-aspect and flat kite, it has a much better low-end than my 9m cult (which BTW is great for begginers, waveriders but does not have a good low end). As a 7m it's still pretty fast, so you can generate power through sining the kite. At 75 kg and with my 5'6''/23'' retro fish and 30m lines I have the same low end as anyone at my spot (we do not have foils here though)
So now when the wind is light I use her waroo and she uses my cult :lol:

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:47 pm

Just for kicks last week I had my 9 up longer than any normal person would have. The wind had clearly let up to 12m or 13m wind. I was on a 133x40 ( by no means a big board), and I was having a blast out there. The guys on the beach rigged 12's, and came out and rode with me. I was slashing my kite across the sky. I really feel these sessions help me be a better rider. I eventually came in after dropping out of the sky on a fairly big jump off a wave. It was time for my 13m to give me some gentle landings in the light wind.

My point is rig as small as you can........if you think you can ROCK IT. If ya can't stay up wind then rig bigger, unless of course you are sailing downwind, and want to loop and slash away!!!

Ride what is most fun!! :cool2: :bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”