Board suggestion for beginner

Forum for kitesurfers
vannibombonato
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Board suggestion for beginner

Postby vannibombonato » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Dears,
I’m writing to get some input on board choice.

I am a beginner starting to consistently staying upwind and landing first jumps. I’m interested in freestyle/freeride, and about to leave for a long 15 days kite-trip in Brazil. I will be facing an average 20-30 knots, and will be there with my Waroos 7-9-11m (bought used, not yet even tried…fingers crossed).

While I digged and have some good knowledge on kites, I really don’t yet get a gripe on boards: net, I’ll go there, rent&try, and eventually buy. Thing is, as I’ve had experiences of schools/people not caring at all and just throwing at you the first board they have to rent, I’d like to have at least some guidance so to better know what type of dimensions/board I should be looking at, and then experiment within those ballpark indications.

I am 1.90m tall, weighting 80kg, athletic and very much willing to have a bit steeper learning curve in exchange of better performance/potential. I care more about jumps/tricks rather than speed. Again, freeride/style, not waves.

Let me know your suggestion, and thanks for your time!

Ciao,

Vanni

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Board suggestion for beginner

Postby grantman54 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:00 pm

well in my opinion, just about every company has boards that you will be satisfied with. especially since it will be your first board. Im thinking that anything around a 133 should be perfect for you.

Some brands to consider

Underground
Ocean Rodeo
Liquid Force
Naish
Nobile
im probably forgetting a couple of other top ones too.

Word of caution. I thought the same exact thing (buying a performance board and forget about the learning curve). I bought a Liquid Force Recoil 133 and have tried using that in my beginning days. I then purchased a Liquid Force WLF 145. I use that every time now. Just because as a beginner you won't notice the features of the Recoil until you are good. WHAT you will notice as a beginner is the features of a bigger "beginner" board. The bigger "beginner" boards will be more forgiving when you make a flying error.

calamalka
Medium Poster
Local Beach: istanbul
Style: fly and fly:)
Gear: ROYAL ERA 14
FLUİD TORQUE 12
ROYAL ERA 10
PAT LOVE HARNESS
ROYAL BOARDS
Brand Affiliation: www.praykiteboarding.com
Been thanked: 0

Postby calamalka » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:44 pm

I strongly advice ABOARDS

www.aboards.eu

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby vannibombonato » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:14 pm

Thanks for the advices!

After digging a bit, i'm thinking about a Nobile T5 2009, 134x41, which i might be able to get used for a fair price.

What do you think?

Ciao,

Vanni

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:18 pm

As a beginne you will rapidly grow out of any board you get. BUY SECOND HAND!
You are still in a stage where you are adjusting your riding style, only once you know what you need is it worth spending the money for a new board

Return to “Kitesurfing”