Forum for kitesurfers
BiteMe
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RRD Hypertype II 15m Replacement

Postby BiteMe » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:01 pm

Which RRD replaces the 15m Hypertype II? Website implies the Obsession is a replacement for the Type 9. I've flown a couple of Delta kites and didn't really like the way they flew so I'm not interested in the Addiction. Does the Obsession come in a 15m? Haven't seen any reviews on the 15m only the smaller sizes?

Thanks

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Re: RRD Hypertype II 15m Replacement

Postby Dr_Rosen » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:44 pm

I had HT2 in 10,5 + 15 m + T9 in 9m
I now have Obsession in 9+12 m and Addiction in 14m

I am with you about the Delta shape. They fly really different.
I never quite understood the marketing statement that Obsession replaces T9. I guess it's because T9 officially was the freestyle kite.

The HT2 was a good kite. The Obsession is in my opinion much better though. If you like HT2 you will love the Obsession. It is as fast, but flies better and more stable. The bar pressure is a bit higher. To me it's the perfect SLE.
I have not tried the 15 m (they do make a 15m), but I consider getting one for freestyle'ish kiting, as the Addiction is very much a monster truck race kite that pulls like he..

I don't know your weight and local conditions, but the Obs12 is pretty powerful.

BiteMe
Frequent Poster

Postby BiteMe » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:16 pm

Thanks for the response Dr.

Local conditions 13mph - 19mph ocean chop. I weigh around 190lbs. I think the 15m will be a better size for me over the 12m.

Just curious why did you go with the 14m Addiction over the 15m Obsession?

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:39 pm

I asked about the differences. Was told that:
Addiction: Most powerful and most stable in the liightest of winds. However slower turning and not as suited for uh/freestyle.
Obsession: Vice versa of course.

And the Addiction is very powerful. Pulls like a train, whereas the Obsession is a kite to be "flown" more. So Addiction Park&Ride delta shape, whereas Obs is a bit more "refined".

Well that's also my opinion :bye:

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:34 pm

I would think that at 190# you will want the 15m Obsession or the 14m Addiction.

As suggested It depends on what flying characterstics you want. I love my deltas (BEST Kahoonas) for waves on my surfboard and strapped directional - but do not like the Hypertype as much because of what Rosen said - always active flying w/Hypertype vs almost "stupid easy" stability with the deltas.

The Deltas (at least mine) have a lot of low end grunt and more bar pressure than the Hypertype, but super forgiving sheeting control, and plenty of boosting power, perhaps not as much as the Obsession might have.

It's great these days that you can really pick a kite for very specific purposes these days. So it boils down to your personal preferences. Either way I am sure the Obsession and Addiction are great kites.

I still love my old Hypertype I's, for non-wave riding conditions, in spite of their twitchiness. The Hypertype II's are far more stable and user friendly, and if the Obsession is all of that plus more - well that could be the kite for you if you liked the HTII.

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster

Postby j1finnn1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:12 am

Hey, this is jeff the so cal rep for RRD. Drop me a pm and we can set up a demo, I have both the addiction and the obsession available in 12 meter. That way you can decide for yourself :)
-Jeff

Jnonny
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: RRD, Epic, WindBone Kiteboarding, The KiteBuddy Self Launching/Landing Aid

Postby Jnonny » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:32 pm

I agree with the Obsession being "the" replacement for the Hypertype 2 (HTII) –as mentioned, really sweet kite (bias aside from being an RRD rep:), great bar feedback and turning response, good power through turns, and pretty impressive low end as well –have been impressed on the 10.5 Obsession on some lighter days in the mid-low teens on a 134x41.. (I’m ~190lbs as well)

Def try a 12 on one of your lighter days if you can, as may be enough.. though if chop is pretty sig then the extra meters may help..

BTW, I happen to have an ’08 HTII 15M (flown once) if may be interested –drop me a line, also have some ’09 RRD gear in stock as well..

--John
============
WindBone Kiteboarding (RRD &More)
http://www.windbone.com
KiteBuddy - Self Launching & Landing Aid
http://www.thekitebuddy.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”