Forum for kitesurfers
Pike
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

19m Silver Arrow collapse

Postby Pike » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:25 pm

just getting a bit peeved with my 19m flysurfer SA (2008) recently.

Twice now the wingtips have collapsed and folded in on a downstroke. The kite then heads fast for the deck and more often than not, continues to fold in, ,making re leaunch impossible.

Okay so the wingtips are stalling....would it be just because of a sharp lull?? or are their any trimming ideas out there that will improve this?

Conditions were 12 - 16mph and good to fully powered. Experienced kiter.

Thanks

sleepymexi
Medium Poster

Re: 19m Silver Arrow collapse

Postby sleepymexi » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:44 pm

A buddy of mine had this exact same problem with his Flysurfer. Check the internal cross-bracing. One of the internal braces was torn on his kite and causing the kite's shape to deform. It was tear on the cross-bracing near one of the inlets, blowout thingies, or zippers (i forgot which), so he was able to get to it easy, tape it, and that did the trick.

As far as what I saw his kite do:
It was on the downstroke when he was riding to his right. The trailing edge and wingtips would fold in, and the kite would backstall then collapse onto the water. After some coaxing he could relaunch and ride the other direction without issue.

diraklib
Medium Poster
Local Beach: the lagoon at Shuraabad, north of Baku on the Caspian Sea
Gear: 138 Flx Underground
08 15m Waroo
07 13m Waroo
07 9m Waroo

Postby diraklib » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:55 pm

coaxing and relaunch - yeah, if it didn't bow tie on you. I still haven't been able to untangle my SA 19. During my long swim I had the opportunity to think about what was better - walking up the beach with an inflatable that could not keep upwind or swimming in with the mess that was my SA 19...

sleepymexi
Medium Poster

Postby sleepymexi » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:00 pm

Oh yeah..

I forgot to mention he was on a 12 or 13m Psycho 2 or 3 in winds in the low 20s, so he had plenty of wind to help the coaxing...

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:22 pm

do a mixer test? may be u have to tune the bridles with a mixer test...
in snowkiting, when i got it my speed² ears kept folding (tip tucking) and the kite falling on the ground, i put the stability mixer test and no problem at all after that, the kite is less aggressive in unconsistant wind but more stable for my mountains winds (lake and snow)

http://www.youtube.com/user/vaudou74#pl ... CJPBcxEhdI

or that kind?:

http://www.youtube.com/user/vaudou74#pl ... ae-6gygL9U

oh btw, it happens....did u close the zipper well and put it under the little tissu square? :p

Pike
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pike » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:47 pm

yeah I do that but thanks peeps - will look at the bracing inside and go through the bridle carfully

cheers :thumb:

oh and mixer test?? what the hells that?

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Problems like this with ram air kites, particularly Silver Arrows in light winds, are disturbingly common. Unfortunately the truth doesn't get out. Horrendous problems with light wind collapse, folding in gusty conditions, and long swim-ins with a waterlogged unlaunchable kite are routine.

The truth doesn't get out because of lies perpetrated on this, and other forums, by Flysurfer and Peter Lynn reps and importers.

Ignore the lies. Ram airs are inferior compared to inflatables and nothing can change this.

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:13 pm

the mixer test is done when the bridles shortened after a while , it s used to put the kite back in shape by changing the bridles lenght. thus u can use a flysurfer kites for ages.
i guess you r an english speaker:

http://www.flysurfer.ca/Files/File/Supp ... TestEN.jpg

the walktrough, not complicated, just take your time, get a friend if you r small :) it helps .
takes around 15/20mn, u do it when your kite has some strange behaviour (2ns hand kites, stable mixer, 30/35 scessions ), do it on both sides.

i shortened the B 3cm for my ride.

i don t like flysurfer kites much ( well, my speed²) but it s still the best at its job...if i can get rid of the bridles and the mixer test and get the same performance , i ll take it lol

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Postby Carlos_C » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:24 pm

Symptoms sound like a mixer test is needed - really is a quick process - as voodoo has linked to. Once done you shouldn't get any of those probs. Tip tucking I think is because the c line gets too long - seen it on Psycho 3's, quick mixer adjustment and never see it again

Flown a SA in wind going from 0 to about 8 knts, kite would drop out of air onto it's TE, I'd wait a minute or so for the next bit of wind, relaunch (lots of yanking on the centre line) ride for a minute or two then repeat.

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:42 am

Pike wrote: oh and mixer test?? what the hells that?
You could to take advantage of this high performance light wind killer kite,
if you would learn more about the right set up for the condition from foilzone for foil kites
You will get all the help you need and you could do search under mixer test how to do it.
There are a lot of thread with pictures and help how to do it.
http://www.foilzone.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1
Ignore the Chump me up rhetoric he likes to stir up sh!t here :!:

The only time I experienced tip tuck on the Speed2 kites when the mixer is not set right,
or flying it out of the window by flyers error in light winds, which takes time to get used to.

DrLW

Return to “Kitesurfing”