Forum for snow- and landkiters
dutchy
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

snowkite trip in northern europe

Postby dutchy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi all,

I'm planning on going out soulseeking and snowkiting in northern europe this winter. I have around two to three weeks that I want to use to travel around, and freeride in places not too many people come across in winter. I have never snowkited before, but I am a competent landboarder and kitesurfer and have absolute control over my gear.

I would like some place in northern europe. I would like to rent a car or snowmobile there and go out on the look for vast open spaces on my own.

Could any of the locals tell me more about this area? How is it in winter? And is it reasonably safe for someone to drive a car 30 minutes outside of town and park to ride the whole day out in the open? And how are the average wind conditions there? What sizes of kites do I need to bring along? And how about the daylight? Is it pitchblack all day long in december? Or Do I need to wait until february or early march to plan a trip like this?

Any info would be welcome :)

geir
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: snowkite trip in northern europe

Postby geir » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:28 pm

Hi there,

desember, pitchblack - yes!

Not sure about other places but feb/march would be safer at least in my location at ca. 64° north, regarding snow/daylight. Although we locals take everything we get.

Not sure I dare to mention it but Iceland might be something else for you. A bit embarresed to mention it, cause your name suggests a country that does'nt like ours very much at the moment. On the plus side the currency very much favors foreigners so apart from relatively cheap airfare, food, etc. you can do some very cheap top of the line outdoors clothes shopping (66°N brand).

Everything you mention is available, even a monster truck on 38" wheels to get around on the snow/glaciers (it's something else).

You can get the same expericence in Sweden, Norway and probably Finland snowkiting wise but if you would like to see hot springs, geysers and pretty weird lavaformed wilderness our financially bankrupt country is the place. (Pretty much snowkiting in the hot steam if you want).

Let me know if you're interested. I can dig up some pictures/websites if you want to investigate further.

Geir

geir
Medium Poster

Postby geir » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:41 pm

P.s. Forgot this part...
dutchy wrote:...and freeride in places not too many people come across in winter...
- Population about 320.000 of which active snowkiters in the SW area (Reykjavik): 5-8
- Geographic Area: 100,329 km²

It's pretty much yours.

Geir

dutchy
Medium Poster

Postby dutchy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:39 am

He Geir,

thanks for the reply :) No hard feelings for your country. The way I see it, some people were stupid enough to put all their money on one horse hoping to get rich quickly, so I don't see why I should feel sorry for them, or "hate"your country for that...

So december is not an option then :). I'll just go with feb/march in that case. I think the weather is better then too? Not all to interested in soulseeking whilst riding in whiteout snowstorm conditions, but more looking for loads of ntouched snow and sunny skies.

If you could show me around a bit more I'd be very graceful. And when I do decide to go riding there, maybe we could ride together some day :)

geir
Medium Poster

Postby geir » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:36 pm

Hi agin dutchy,

Of course I'll show you around and come ride with you. We locals always welcome visitors. Most of the time we're only 2-4 riding together so anyone is always welcome to join. We've pretty much nailed down the best spots in the SV area (around Reykjavik) regarding snowkiting and kitesurfing. Further into the country you get glaciers and huge open spaces of snow.

These pictures are from sites only 20-30 minutes drive from Reykjavik (on normal roads/cars).

Bláfjöll (Blue mountains) - outback behind the local ski resort, garanteed snow feb/march;
9th of march '09 - http://asp.internet.is/kitesurf/myndir/ ... 9_3_09.htm
beginning of april '09 - http://asp.internet.is/kitesurf/spjall/postar.asp?ID=45

Hellisheiði - plateu 20 minutes from Reykjavik beside the highway to the south of the country. Amount of snow varies from year to year:
8th of march '08 - http://droob.de/blogs/island_2/galleries/snowkiting/
(Pictures taken by a danish photographer in '08 - very pro. I was demoing a Flysurfer Pulse. There was not much snow there in '09)

With the price of fuel etc. we (the locals) don't bother going to the glaciers that often. Especially when we have snow/landscape like you see on the pictures 20 min. away. We do it every once in a while just to satisfy the need to snowkite those hundreds of km of open space. (Glaciers tend to be very flat aswell, I like the bumps/hills of 'normal' landscape more). The one we most often visit is the second largest glacier in Iceland, which is two hours drive. To be safe in feb/march it has to be on one of those monster trucks. There are guys that have a buisness bringing snowkiters to Iceland and they always go to that glacier (Langjökull). Pictures from their trips are on the webpage http://www.snowkiter.co.uk

Snowstorm/whiteout and a clear sunny sky you can get in the same session around here - no garentees in that department. But you're right theres more chance of better snow/weather in Feb/March. Desember '08 was great but in '09 the season really didn't start until January.

Geir

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift

Postby yomotha » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:19 pm

Geir,

Looks pretty awesome there. Only 5-8 kiters? Craziness! :o Again though... looks like some sweet conditions there. I'm bringing my kite and snowboard to Iceland someday. :thumb:

:bye:

dutchy
Medium Poster

Postby dutchy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:03 pm

Wow thanks Geir! I'll give it some more thought but I think iceland is quite far up the list by now :)

Could you tell me some more about the winds? What sizes of kite do I need to bring? And do you have any tips for a cabin or motel near one of these beautiful spots with access to a supermarket or some other source of food and drinks?

Thanks!

PS, is it all powdery snow or more half frozen pack?

snowsurfer
Rare Poster
Local Beach: beach?? Hills in Bath
Style: landboard snowkite
Gear: access 6m
Sabre2 9.5m
outlaw 14m deluxe

Postby snowsurfer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:20 pm

haugastol, Norway

this is on a mountian plateau, the Hardangervidda plateauhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardangervidda in one of the most beautiful countries on earth! and is absolutlely massive area 6,500 km2 is used for cross country skiing, would take days to get across, only saw one other group when we were there on the horizon, you could just go the other way

flyvan
Medium Poster
Style: FreeRide - Backcountry

Postby flyvan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:05 pm

Maybe this can be interesting for you...

"Sweden Snowkite Camp

We are preparing an amazing season here in swedish mountains...
with new spots (now even more than 10),
new kites 2010 Ozone to test,
and snowmobiling tours all across the area.

Snowkite Camp in the Swedish wilderness... on the mountains of Jämtland region, in the area so called Härjedalen.
We have10 spots available all around, in a perfect area for FreeRide – Backcountry. Always a good spot where to go in function of the wind, this make it kitable 6/7 days. If you are dreaming about the ultimate snowkite holiday, you must consider to reach us in this no end paradise, and doesn't matter your skill... there is for all kind of level and if you are beginner, it will be perfect occasion to increase your pleasure and skill. Here you will found excellent snow and thousands square km where enjoy the pure snowkite feeling.

Snowkite Camp includes guided snowkiting safari, lodging, catering, sauna and eventually rental equipment. Just for small groups 1-5.
Cheap snowkite holiday for exiting adventures !

Check out our website >> http://www.freeairadventure.com/kite.htm
and video channel >> http://vimeo.com/channels/sweden

See you there!"
Last edited by flyvan on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drande
Medium Poster
Style: wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force, O'Neill

Postby Drande » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:18 am

nice snowkite video mainly shot around Geilo and Hardangervidda area in Norway.
worth to visit.
http://www.liquidforcekites.lv/galerija ... -boom-bang

Return to “Snow / Land”