Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which LF kite should I add to the quiver to improve lowend?

Forum for kitesurfers
smrsco
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which LF kite should I add to the quiver to improve lowend?

Postby smrsco » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:28 am

My quiver consists of:

kites: '09 8m LF Havoc, '09 12m LF Session
boards: LF WLF 140, LF Mission 138
weight: 155lbs (70kg)

I'd like to add a lightwind kite to improve my lowend and get me out on the Mission (such a nice ride) more. I'm looking at the following kites, which would you recommend?

a.) '08 Havoc 14m
b.) '08 Havoc 16m (maybe too big for a guy my size?)
c.) '08 session 16m

Thanks!
Last edited by smrsco on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Which LF kite should I add to the quiver to improve lowend?

Postby grantman54 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:58 am

Im also interested in this question. I have a 2009 12m Session, and a 2008 9m Session.
For boards I have LF WLF 145 and a Recoil 133. I weigh 190lbs. I love riding the recoil with the 9m. Great fun board.

kitesurfrabbi
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurfrabbi » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:02 pm

[quote]I'd like to add a lightwind kite to improve my lowend and get me out on the Mission (such a nice ride) more.[/quote]

i hear you, but the problem is that you need a higher speed for the mission. so no matter how big the kite the board needs the speed of a well powered 12m kite at least.
you can however increase your lowend on the WLF with a 16m havoc or session. the 14m havoc will get you going just a little earlier than your 12m session.
speed is about the same grunt might be a little higher on the 14m havoc.

Bryden
Medium Poster

Postby Bryden » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:07 pm

I agree with the poster above... I would go with either a Session or Havoc in the 16m size. I think there are some sweet internet deals on 16m Sessions. If you're okay with a slow kite to park/ride, this might be a good idea...
Otherwise the board is probably the cheapest way to go... a good light wind board or a surf board without too much rocker.

Petter
Medium Poster

Postby Petter » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:12 am

Smrsco,

If you're 70 kilos you don't need a 16. That's for the big guys, 90 kilos or so. A 14 will get you as much time on the water as the 16 and it will be a lot more fun, unless you're really into getting a big grunty beast.

I'm about 85 and use the Havoc3 14 m for the light stuff. I'm really pleased with the low end.

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Monnot » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:49 am

I've got a 16m Session and a 16m Waroo. By comparison, the Session pulls like a semi, and turns like one too.

Don

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:33 pm

If you want the best low end get a 16m. Just depower it if you have to. It really is a beast, and I bet light riders can get going really early. I had a demo on the 09 14m. I would rather have extra pull to ride a smaller board! The 16 will no disappoint you.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:12 pm

smrsco wrote:My quiver consists of:

kites: '09 8m LF Havoc, '09 12m LF Session
boards: LF WLF 140, LF Mission 138
weight: 155lbs (70kg)

I'd like to add a lightwind kite to improve my lowend and get me out on the Mission (such a nice ride) more. I'm looking at the following kites, which would you recommend?

a.) '08 Havoc 14m
b.) '08 Havoc 16m (maybe too big for a guy my size?)
c.) '08 session 16m

Thanks!
Have you tried adjusting the back lines for more power in light winds?

I do that with my LF mig kite (07 c-kite) and I was very surprised at the additional power.
I got knots on the leader lines and the pigtails on the kite where I can lengthen (for less power) or shorten (for more power) the back lines (steering) relative to the front lines (power)

On the session you'll probably find similar knots you can use to lengthen or shorten the steering lines relative to the power lines (front).

A friend of mine did that on his 13m SLE and he said it made a big difference.

If that's not enough try a light wind board. That may be a cheaper option to buying a new kite. Also having a light wind board makes it easy in a way if the winds pick up you can just switch boards without having to change kites, you'll be flying your 12m a lot more.

In the light winds the 12m won't get you in the air as well (if at all) as a 14m tho, that would be the drawback of using the 12.

yosh
Medium Poster

Postby yosh » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:25 am

i got the 08 16m session... i love the kite but it definitely doesnt have great low end... if i was a guy your size i would go 16m... not with the 14m!!! the 16 is like a 14 of other kites i have flow!!! but a great kite otherwise!!! and ya its slow its a 16m but faster than past 16m kites i have owned!!!
the 09 16m havoc deffinetly has better low end than the 08 16m session but i herd the 09 session has better than the 09 havoc but havent tested that...

tonyh
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dollymount, Dublin.
Gear: *

Postby tonyh » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:57 pm

Was out recently on my 08 14m Havoc, with just about enough to to stay upwind, a buddy was out on his 09 12m Session, and doing just as well if not a little better. We switched kites and I was amazed that the Session had as much pull as the Havoc, I'm 77kg and was out on a Nobile 666 132x41 while he was out on a Recoil 146, so would rule out the 14m Havoc as an option, maybe the 16m Havoc would be a better option.

Return to “Kitesurfing”