EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ocean Rodeo raises the bar to a whole new level

Postby EvanOR » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:10 pm

Your local Ocean Rodeo retailer will have our industry leading killer new SLE Bar 3.0 and all of our 2010 line-up in stock around the end of the month.

More photos and details to come!

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype

Burness
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Re: Ocean Rodeo raises the bar to a whole new level

Postby Burness » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:36 pm

Evan, not only is a great looking bar but you can adjust the length of the rear line attachments to fit different sized kites!! Brilliant!

Can't wait to get them in this neck of the woods !

Brad :D :D

www.kiteboardingnewfoundland.com

Bfay
Rare Poster

Postby Bfay » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:04 pm

Nice..super clean looking.

What is the Diablo bar going to look like? Same concept and design?

Can I use this with another brands kite?

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:01 pm

WARNING: If you use ANY bar with a design similar to this one and your depower line snaps, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR KITE! The depower line IS your leash! (or at least it's an extension of your leash)

Other than that, great bar! But the original 2007 version was cleaner and simpler, especially with the fabric eject system. So much nicer than the molded plastic. Now, Ocean Rodeo, just rip off Slingshot's swivel system, add a below-the-bar leash connection for a center line, and THEN you'll have the best bar out there. (and please go back to the simpler, cleaner 2007 ejection system)

eag
Medium Poster

Postby eag » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:30 pm

I disagree, I think the plastic release is more solid and is much easier to re-engage, especially one handed.

I think they do have a big ol' swivel like SS this year.

Trim lines are thick and they are very visible. It's pretty easy to tell if they are in need of replacing, which is easy on the OR bar with a simple kit ordered from them. I change that trim line as soon as it starts to get visibly frayed, or about every 50-75 sessions.

Nice job guys, I can't wait to get the new rises! Soon I hope!?

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:16 pm

No, you need to really check out the Slingshot swivel. NOBODY else has anything like it. It isn't just big. It is the ONLY system that allows a below-the-bar leash connection to a front center line while still allowing unlimited spinning of the bar without twisting the front lines. In 2011, I guarantee you that Ocean Rodeo and everyone else will include some version of this on their bars as well. But for 2010, you need to buy the Slingshot, which is a great bar except for the overbuilt quick release system, which is a bit heavy with all that metal and includes too many parts that will corrode, jam, or break. The Naish chicken loop is the same way. Pair the Slingshot swivel with the Ocean Rodeo chicken loop, and then you've got the ultimate bar.

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby Clarencephil » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:30 am

gonewiththewind wrote:No, you need to really check out the Slingshot swivel. NOBODY else has anything like it. It isn't just big. It is the ONLY system that allows a below-the-bar leash connection to a front center line while still allowing unlimited spinning of the bar without twisting the front lines. In 2011, I guarantee you that Ocean Rodeo and everyone else will include some version of this on their bars as well. But for 2010, you need to buy the Slingshot, which is a great bar except for the overbuilt quick release system, which is a bit heavy with all that metal and includes too many parts that will corrode, jam, or break. The Naish chicken loop is the same way. Pair the Slingshot swivel with the Ocean Rodeo chicken loop, and then you've got the ultimate bar.

What about the Ozone bar ?

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:45 am

Sorry, but that Ozone bar looks like a train wreck. 3 lines, so that you can wrap your kite around the center one? And no jerk-off quick release? Sorry, but it doesn't qualify. And anyway, it just leashes you to the two center lines. Lots of brands do that and allow the front two lines to spin. But then your leash isn't connected to a single front line in order to flag the kite if necessary. That's the difference with the Slingshot bar. You are leashed below the bar, yet connected to a single front line, and all of this with a fully spinning bar AND no twists in the two front lines. Only possible because of their innovative new hardware above the trim line.

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle

Postby rodeoclown » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:03 am

Leashing to one front line sounds like a good idea,
but the reality is that once you do that,
let go of the bar and leash out to one line,
the chances are really good that your session is over because of a tangle.
I like the OR bar much better because of its simplicity and ergo shaping.

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:58 am

Ejecting with the OR bar does absolutely nothing beyond what simply letting go of the bar would do (unless your stopper is engaged). Once your rear lines are totally slack, you can't depower your kite any more by ejecting. The depower does not magically go "one louder" to 11. The only difference between letting go of the bar and yanking the eject on an OR bar is that if you pull the eject, your mostly (but not totally) depowered kite is now out of your control because the bar is now out of reach. With something like the Slingshot, you'll get the same depower by simply letting go of the bar. But if you then find yourself too overpowered to land your kite because the wind picked up or you're getting slowly dragged into some rocks, you can then eject to a center line and flag the kite. Very important to have this option.

Return to “Kitesurfing”