Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is kitesuring a legitimate sport compared to skateboarding?

Forum for kitesurfers
chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East
Has thanked: 0

Re: Is kitesuring a legitimate sport compared to skateboarding?

Postby chemosavi » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:09 pm

Is kitesurfing a legitimate sport compared to skateboarding

Is congress as good as head?

Which is better?

#1 or #2 ?

Depends on whether or not Jessica S is having a bad hair day

Whether or not the moon is in retrograde

Whether or not my baggie is big enough for my doggy's do-do

tungsten222
Been thanked: 0

Postby tungsten222 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:51 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed in urna et enim porttitor ullamcorper ac non ipsum. Proin eleifend orci quis ligula convallis et viverra metus porta. Fusce commodo eros ut sapien euismod venenatis. Proin suscipit auctor laoreet. Phasellus scelerisque viverra nisi eu malesuada. Etiam malesuada tellus non neque fermentum at molestie mi condimentum. Vestibulum gravida enim sit amet nisi mattis pulvinar. Suspendisse hendrerit ipsum id neque sodales ut tincidunt felis dignissim. Suspendisse potenti. Phasellus venenatis pharetra consectetur. Curabitur tempus lacinia dui. Nunc semper arcu id leo lacinia porta. Proin commodo adipiscing egestas. Suspendisse adipiscing enim turpis, sed.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby frankm1960 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:29 am

prayfawind27 wrote:You can have all the respect in the world, all i want is 17-20 knots and 10 foot waves
Exactly what I was thinking...

:whogives:

DocDeuce
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach

Postby DocDeuce » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:30 am

jwoodunlv wrote:I'm a high school teacher and since every skateboarding student that I have shown some short kiteboarding vid has said it's the coolest thing they have ever seen, that tells me that we are just as "legit" (man, I hate that fucking word) as any other board sport out there. I've also shown some students that surf some Ben Wilson vid and they thought that was the coolest thing they have ever seen, especially when you explain that there is no paddling involved so you can ride 4 times as many waves in a session. We rock people, and really, I don't care if people respect the sport because when I am kiting I am having too much fucking fun. Now, if the fucking wind would fucking come back I would quit typing the word fucking so much and get off this fucking forum.

With that said, we really need to open up the sport to younger people otherwise our sport will die like windsurfing has. I think outreach from shops into public schools and making the sport accessible would greatly improve the sport, not to mention it would lower the cost of gear since these people would eventually end up buying stuff. I'm working on drawing up a proposal to present to school officials to see what they think of it. If we hooked up with the local shops to provide safe instruction it would be huge. I've had so many students that would love to get into the sport but just don't have the means to do it.
I have my 14 year old son kiting... there are about 7-8 kids in his highschool kiting and a couple with cold feet we are working on... one person at a time. more importantly like someone said before "17-20 knots" and we're good!

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:34 am

"Legitimate" means: conforming to recognized principles or accepted rules and standards.
Just shows what a crock of shit legit is!!

just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby just do it » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:29 pm

If you don't get the kids involved you will never be recognised by the big companies as a sport worth advertising with/in. This doesn't mean that the sport isn't a credible activity but it shows that it sucks in terms of its overall image until you change the age of its participants.
All of the big surf-clothing companies spend vast amounts of money on teamriders and videos. The sports they choose is surfing, snowboarding, skateboarding and a bit of wakeboarding. They never had any interest in windsurfing and they will never have any big interest in kitesurfing.
The reason is because both activities are largely done my men aged 30-50+years.
Yes, there are some great kids participating in both sports now but this is not a true reflection of the actual demographic of these sports.
So, no matter how many great tricks and mega kiteloops we come up with we will never be cool in the eyes of the youngsters until we leave it up to them to mould it into what it should be.
If I read through most forums I would come to the conclusion that kitesurfing must be seriously uncool with all of this nerd talking going on and the average age being being closer to retirement than High School.
If Snowboarding wouldn't have been able to attract the youngsters onto the slopes we would still all be riding hard-boots and alpine boards. (like myself :wink: )
So maybe there should be an age-limit on forums. If you are over 25years you aren't allowed to comment or post anymore and that would include me :thumb:

Dansier
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lancing, Camber Sands, Shoreham
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Intermediate, Jumps!
Gear: 9m Atom 08, Cabrinha Crossbow

Postby Dansier » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:40 pm

Its a sport and thats all that matters. Sure some bad shit can happen, but we love it and who cares if others dont right?

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:54 pm

Yes but most "surf" companies sell crap to people that have never riden a wave, carved a mountain, or ollied a skateboard. Be glad that kitesurfing doesn't have a large fashion poser crowd. :)

tungsten222

Postby tungsten222 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:17 pm

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed in urna et enim porttitor ullamcorper ac non ipsum. Proin eleifend orci quis ligula convallis et viverra metus porta. Fusce commodo eros ut sapien euismod venenatis. Proin suscipit auctor laoreet. Phasellus scelerisque viverra nisi eu malesuada. Etiam malesuada tellus non neque fermentum at molestie mi condimentum. Vestibulum gravida enim sit amet nisi mattis pulvinar. Suspendisse hendrerit ipsum id neque sodales ut tincidunt felis dignissim. Suspendisse potenti. Phasellus venenatis pharetra consectetur. Curabitur tempus lacinia dui. Nunc semper arcu id leo lacinia porta. Proin commodo adipiscing egestas. Suspendisse adipiscing enim turpis, sed.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:05 pm

Skating is certainly more accessible to the youth than kiting, as someone mentioned. All you need is $200 for a board and some pavement to skate regardless of weather.

Kiting...............well let's just say that's another story. Kiting has many attributes that don't appeal to the youth: expense, patience, training, conditions, locations, etc.

It's just easier for a kid to go skate than go kite. Hell I'll go for a quick skate (longboard......oldish guy here) if there's no wind up and I'm bored.

I could care less about us being "legit" or main stream. I actually for my own selfish reasons kind of hope that kiting never gets super popular. I don't like crowds and baby sitting all that much.....

Hey at least I'm honest. :cool2:

Return to “Kitesurfing”