Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Safest Way To Launch & Land Solo !

Forum for kitesurfers
Willboff
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tenby, Poppit, Fresh West, Broadhaven, Pendine.
Favorite Beaches: As above.
Style: Wild.
Gear: Bandit 9 & 13.
Fanatic Duke, north X ride.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Safest Way To Launch & Land Solo !

Postby Willboff » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:33 am

I often launch alone using the LE pointing upwind technique but never walk so the kite is dead downwind just a little, it will slide downwind then just tip onto its side unpowered and ready to go, still don't like it on my own in high winds, i don't think its ever safe to launch in high winds especially with onshore wind.
:nono:

To land i just bring the kite down and sit it on its side, wait untill it stops moving around, unhook then run my hand up the front line (being carefull not to wrap it around my hand or step over any of the lines) then once you get to the bridle pull on the line that is highest to pull the kite over back with its LE facing upwind. From my experience so long as there is only tension on the front lines there is no power in the kite.

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:00 am

Anchor technique on a decent sized beach works every time with a strong onshore wind. Just make sure you have a good anchor point. There are lots of tricks with landing the kite at the side of the window, I do use that self landing technique too, but it can definitely go wrong in high, gusty winds. High, gusty winds can roll the kite over and then it can drift downwind - so you have to have some room on the beach and you have to be ready to either relaunch your kite from downwind and try again, or let your kite go - why I won't use that technique in high gusty winds.

Obviously having someone around to help launch land is always best, but I'm not going to miss a good session when I am capable of taking care of myself.

Anyhow, my last post on the topic, suffice to say this is from years of solo experience.

Jnonny
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: RRD, Epic, WindBone Kiteboarding, The KiteBuddy Self Launching/Landing Aid

Postby Jnonny » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:31 pm

A reliable anchoring means for solo fixed point (ghost) launching/landing really takes so many variables out of the solo landing/launching mix ..(not to mention variables from assisted launches/landings from unknown/unqualified individuals as well)..

The "KiteBuddy" Self Launching/Landing Aid has a proven track record of offering a reliable/portable anchoring means for solo kite launching and landing.. Been using/selling them for a couple years now and the design really offers a solid/reliable solution..

Can check them out at thekitebuddy.com
www.thekitebuddy.com

--John..
Last edited by Jnonny on Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LanBro
Frequent Poster
Style: Old School
Gear: 2019 Rebel / RPM

Postby LanBro » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:08 pm

Jnonny wrote:A reliable anchoring means for solo fixed point (ghost) launching/landing really takes so many variables out of the solo landing/launching mix ..(not to mention variables from assisted launches/landings from unknown/unqualified individuals as well)..

The "KiteBuddy" Self Launching/Landing Aid has a proven track record of offering a reliable/portable anchoring means for solo kite launching and landing.. Been using/selling them for a couple years now and the design really offers a solid/reliable solution..

Can check them out at the kitebuddy.com
www.thekitebuddy.com

--John..
I have the KB and it does work very well.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:03 pm

THE MOST IMPORTANT SELF LAUNCH-LANDING TIP
Sometimes it's just not worth it. Sketchy launch, gusty wind, you are alone... sometimes it's better to live to kite another day. Don't be the next injury victim!

Not to say you have to chicken out every time but do ask yourself... is it worth it?

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:03 pm

i picked ARC and foils so i can solo launch easely and land as well (QR or backstall system). alone 90% of the time in narrow beaches with gusty (mountain/inland ) winds. there s always a probability of failure so having the QR reflex is always good.

Return to “Kitesurfing”