Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Kiter lost on Lake Garda, Italy

Postby RickI » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:06 pm

My sincere regrets go out to the kiter's family and friends. I wish them what comfort they can find at this harsh time. Sorry to bring this up so soon but we've been fortunate to have very few losses over much of the summer. Fall all too often brings a change, that might be avoided.

Several news accounts appear to be summarized at: http://bonazeta.blog.kataweb.it/

I just heard about this accident. The Italian-English translations on the Internet aren't that clear. It seems that the man was kiting around 11.30 am when a 40 kt. squall related gust hit. He was lofted over the water momentarily and subsequently drowned? There were serious storms over parts of Italy also resulting in three boat sinkings? I am not certain of most of this and could use help from someone that understands Italian or has knowledge of this tragic accident. If you would prefer you could contact via PM to ricki or email to flkitesurfer at hotmail.com

Thank you

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

ap1190
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Great South Bay, Long Island
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kiter lost on Lake Garda, Italy

Postby ap1190 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:59 pm

That website isn't working right for me but I checked another italian news site. I speak italian and am also a dual citizen of Italy and the U.S. so here is my translation.
Claudio Gugola, a 53 year old nurse died in the water of lake Garda. The incident occurred in front of Hotel Rivoltella, which is located in the city Desenzano. Originally from the town Rovigo, Gugola was presently living in Verona. Eyewitnesses say his kite suddenly powered up because of a strong squall. Gugola was lifted several meters into the air where he violently crashed back into the water. First aid efforts proved futile.

http://corrieredelveneto.corriere.it/no ... 5956.shtml

Now the article doesn't mention if he died from drowning or something else. It may be possible that be broke his neck on impact.
Either way I feel for the man's family and I hope some good came come out of this. We can only hope people are more safe after reading stories like this one.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:29 pm

sorry to hear this, my condolences to family and friends.

Some website do forecast gusts, please make sure to check them and don't take any risk.

RIP Claudio

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:43 am

my condolences to family and friends. Hate checking out the forum and seeing a death from kiteboarding post ,Keeping the family of the rider in your and my prayers Please!! everyone let's all remember safety on and off the water and please let's be our brothers keeper.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:16 am

Thank you for looking into this and providing the translation ap1190. I was hoping you could look over a couple of pages on an Italian forum site. The Internet translation is a bit better this time except for some of the discussion on the first page and the weather discussion on the third page. I was wondering what additional information regarding conditions and potential causes appear in this forum?

http://kiteforum.it/phpbb/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

Thank you

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart

Postby Galeltic » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:18 am

my condolences to family and friends,too :(

in future i hope no more deaths

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:24 am

Hi Ricki

I lived in Italy many years.... windsurfed Lake Garda many many times.

I took a look at the Italian forum you linked to.

What exactly happened is not clear yet but here is what I gleened from the Italian forum.

It apears that he was found drifting by a windsurfer. His kite was bobbing at the edge of the wind window. The windsurfer could clearly see that there was nothing he could do as the kiter was already dead.

He went in and called the authorities.

He then went back and stayed with the body untill the boats came out. He freed the kiter from the kite that apeared to have no tangles at all. He just had to release the chicken loop and leash.
Apparently he had a board leash and a helmet. He normally rides with a life vest, but for some reason did not have it on.

I'll look around and see if I can get more information.

First of all this happened in the southern area of the lake, not the "thermal wind tunnel" in the northern part of the Lake.
Regarding the weather the forcast was for NW winds, but there was a very sudden
"groppo" from NE. A "groppo" is sudden increase in average winds, normally a doubling, but with stronger shifty spikes. A groppo normally lasts 5 to 10 minutes. They are quite common over the lakes in northern Italy. In this case it went from NW at about 16 kts to close to 50 kts and these are averages. The spikes when the groppo hit could have been significantly higher.

What makes these particularly dangerous is that they are sudden and involve a direction change of the wind that is more than a 90 degrees shift and without the wind dying momentarily.
Basicly if you are kiting you kite goes from being at the edge of the wind wind to right in the powerzone.... not becasue the kite moved, but becasue the wind window moved :o
When the wind suddenly changes directions the two winds basicly "butt heads" and where they meet there can be hellish up or down drafts.

I was caught once in a groppo on lake Como. The lake suddenly turned to foam and both my board and sail blew away. I was close to shre but it was a nighmare getting back to solid ground despite wearing a life vest. When I got to the beach a car had been turned over..(a light Citroen Dyane)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:42 am

Sad news - best wishes to family and friends ... :(

Francisco_C
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ocean Park and " the island "...
Favorite Beaches: Puerto Escondido ,MX , Salsa Brava , CR La Punta , RD among a few...
Style: Don't know !!???
Gear: Anything
Brand Affiliation: SkyBanditz Kiteboarding Puerto Rico

Postby Francisco_C » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:49 am

My condolence too... we must recognize our abilities and limits ... above 20kts is no joke !!!!

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart

Postby Galeltic » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:01 pm

Kamikuza wrote:Sad news - best wishes to family and friends ... :(
dont say word of best wishes to them
i understand that u are japanese !

Return to “Kitesurfing”