North Race LTD 2010 ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

North Race LTD 2010 ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:06 am

Anyone tried it yet ?

It is bigger, much bigger nose and more fins - so will be much easier to tack in really light conditions, and go much faster upwind of course.

But how is it for "freeride" ?

The custom race boards I've tried have had so much fin area, that they are NOT fun to ride for jumping and bump and jump fun in light wind - thats why I like the LTD 2009 as it is great for overall riding.

But maybe the 2010 will work okay, if designed "good" ?
And maybe you could remove the front fins and mount some really small (or none) wavefins in front, when you want to have fun - and then mount the standard fins when really really light only ?

The only thing missing on the 2009 is the volume, so the 2009 will "park and sink" if there is a huge lull for a long time, because of very little nose volume - so you can not just "cruise" without planing really...

Not very often it happens - but if you go for a REALLY long trip, it would be nice to be able to just wait for wind while looping the kite f.ex, and still be buoyant :naughty:

But bigger boards, especially when finned, often seem to lack the fun factor when jumping or going really fast in chop. On the other hand, I know from all the custom board racers here, that some of them behave extremely good even though quite big.

I am curious now, if any experiences on the water with the 2010 !

Kindly, Peter Frank

PS: I did not post this in the "kiteracer" because it seems that the sub-forums dont get much attention, compared to the main forum :wink:
Also - I am not a "racer" - but want it for light wind and doing trips along the coast.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: North Race LTD 2010 ?

Postby OzBungy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:45 am

Our local dealer says he will have stock in "a couple of weeks".

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:18 am

If you are in a hurry to get info on it, you could maybe ask Stephanie Bridge at Edgewatersports. She is biased, being a North team rider and selling them, but she is possibly the best source on the 2010 LTD until someone independent tries one.

http://shop.edgewatersports.com/acatalog/info_14.html

She did talk a little about it on a youtube video, but mainly on how it was for racing, and it seems, up to 18 knots, you use the huge fins.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:35 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:Anyone tried it yet ?

It is bigger, much bigger nose and more fins - so will be much easier to tack in really light conditions, and go much faster upwind of course.

But how is it for "freeride" ?

The custom race boards I've tried have had so much fin area, that they are NOT fun to ride for jumping and bump and jump fun in light wind - thats why I like the LTD 2009 as it is great for overall riding.

But maybe the 2010 will work okay, if designed "good" ?
And maybe you could remove the front fins and mount some really small (or none) wavefins in front, when you want to have fun - and then mount the standard fins when really really light only ?

The only thing missing on the 2009 is the volume, so the 2009 will "park and sink" if there is a huge lull for a long time, because of very little nose volume - so you can not just "cruise" without planing really...

Not very often it happens - but if you go for a REALLY long trip, it would be nice to be able to just wait for wind while looping the kite f.ex, and still be buoyant :naughty:

But bigger boards, especially when finned, often seem to lack the fun factor when jumping or going really fast in chop. On the other hand, I know from all the custom board racers here, that some of them behave extremely good even though quite big.

I am curious now, if any experiences on the water with the 2010 !

Kindly, Peter Frank

PS: I did not post this in the "kiteracer" because it seems that the sub-forums dont get much attention, compared to the main forum :wink:
Also - I am not a "racer" - but want it for light wind and doing trips along the coast.

Hi Peter Frank,
We seem to have the same interest, I ordered myself an Ozone Zephyr 17m, after flying 2 years with a Flysurfer speed² 15m.
At the moment I have a directional strapped surf from Naish 6"2 I have 83kg.
One can get this board going with very light wind but you will have to wolrk it, and keeping your angle upwind is not that easy and fun in lightwind.
So I am looking in the same category as you, to tickle the maximum out of lightwind and for cruising.
As you propably found out as well, it is very difficult to find reliable information, because most of the people interested in these boards, want them for regatta, and fun cruisin g is not for them.

As far as I have been told, raceboards give you a lot of pressure on the back leg, the bigger the fins the more pressure, to balance that, the wider the boards will be.

I had a guy who gave me a lot of information, he is flying with a zephyr from Ozone, and has this >North LTD 2010, who he likes more than the 2009 and would even advice it above the 2009 for my/our purposes, although he has one like this, but custom made build by the shaper of th North LTD it is black, more volume and a bit wider, I send you the link of this shaper with the pictures ob it, the company is French and called "ROOTS" http://rootshapesnews.blogspot.com/
Frank

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:37 pm

I have spoken to several guys who has been riding the 2010 LTD, and now I am 100% sure it is the perfect board for me :thumb:

The fins are not as huge as for newer light wind raceboards - so not too stiff and hard on your legs, and the fun factor is kept :D

Thats all I wanted to know actually.... So maybe I dont have to change fins at all - but they will fit me and gives a very harmonic board in most conditions right away, and with amazing upwind performance in the lightest wind !

We'll see - have just ordered one 8)

Interesting to see where you will end up naishdude ?

Kindly, Peter

Samaculus
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Samaculus » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:40 am

Peter_Frank wrote:We'll see - have just ordered one 8)
:D How long do you have to wait? I'm excited for ya, and I can't wait to hear your impressions, especially comparing it to the 2009 Race.

Just curious, but what made you go with the Race again compared to other custom built race boards (like Ocean Rodeo or Amundson)? Was it just your previous experience, or was it the advice of the other people you've spoken with?

Also, I might not fully understand the definition of freeride, but I think North should jump on this application and advertise the Race as such.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:52 am

OzBungy wrote:Our local dealer says he will have stock in "a couple of weeks".
That was a week or so ago. They arrived today.

DvB
Rare Poster
Gear: Switch Nitro 5, 12 & 9
Been thanked: 0

Postby DvB » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:18 am

Hi Peter, I live in an area where the winds are predominantly light and fickle, and I have almost made the decision to buy a Race Ltd 2010, for the precise reasons that you want one for. Living in inland South Africa it is impossible to demo a board like this before buying (from what I understand the SA distributor is only bringing one in) so I would be extremely interested to hear your impressions on the board. I am also looking for an expedition board, one that would handle both long upwind and downwind sessions, hence my interest in the Race Ltd.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:12 am

[quote="

We'll see - have just ordered one 8)

Interesting to see where you will end up naishdude ?

Kindly, Peter[/quote]

Congrats Peter,
Maybe I should Visit Danmark, to come and have a test( Iwas several times in a place called fjerritslev/klimstrand great waves and the fjord!!)

Well I am also looking forward for your commen ts, as I just went through a shoulder surgery, this means, no kiting untill April 2010, so I still have time, my Ozone Zephyr 17m will soon be here, but I will only be able to look at it,while my son will be flying it! :angryfire:
I have been looking at several other brands and shapers, but it seems, for a free-race board price related the north ltd, brings up the best.

If you want a custom made one, you easely go inbetween 900 and 1800 € which is a pretty high price for a board one will only use in lightwind conditions.
The places I visited in Denmark more or less had nice flatwater inbetween then waves, and up to 4bft the water still was pretty smooth, where I go the spot is called Brouwersdam, there most of the time you have choppy conditions, not at 8 till 10 knots, which will be my range for the board.

So Peter I am in favor for the north ltd 2010....
I wish You a lot of fun with your new board, and let us know your findings!!!
well done :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
kind regards
Frank/ Antwerp- Belgium

salsaaddict
Rare Poster

Postby salsaaddict » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:02 pm

Some questions about the fins:

What's the size of the front and the rear fins?

Are they symmetrically foiled or is the profile flat/flatter on the inside?

And what's the cant angle. In the video Stephanie Bridge mentions a cant angle of 5 to 8 degrees but is that true for both the front and rear fins?

There's one screw per fin --- is it a mini tuttle fin box system? (I'm a bit surprised since most race boards used in the San Francisco races now use regular tuttle boxes with 2 screws).

Return to “Kitesurfing”