Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why do kite mags seem to always review foil kites like this?

Forum for kitesurfers
robbygk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: bournemouth, poole, sandbanks
Style: Freeride
Gear: flysurfer unity 10m, pulse2 8m and speed 3 15m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Why do kite mags seem to always review foil kites like this?

Postby robbygk » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:57 pm

While reading this months copy of Kitesurf, I noticed that in a review of the speed3, it stated that they did a downwind launch of the kite. This got me thinking and I had a look through some back copies of some magazines and saw that most foil reviews say that they launch the kite downwind.

Now I only ride foils (flysurfers) and have done for about 6 years, but would never launch a kite straight downwind.

Even in the kite manual is shows that you side launch the kites. And this is my point, I wonder how many people have come from small foils on the land or see these reviews and think its ok to do the same kind on the larger water foils.

As a result of one downwind launch I witnessed, the guy got lofted and smashed into a car. It wasn't down to the kite (before PMU sticks his nose in it) it was down to the person flying it.

Schools are teaching people to side launch their tube kites, but this should be the same for all kites. Would it not be a good Idea for the Magazines to reflect the too?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: Why do kite mags seem to always review foil kites like this?

Postby jakemoore » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:06 pm

I hot launch all the time. I will launch at about 45 deg if the wind is good but I still set it up like a hot launch. I really prefer to see the whole bridle as the kite comes up and straight down winds is the best for this. And as the FS foil don't s really generate power until full with air this is a no-drama event.

Jake

robbygk
Medium Poster

Postby robbygk » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:07 pm

But thats my point. You know what your doing with them. I seen guys first time out on foils, hot launching and getting into a hell of trouble. I posted this a copy of months ago viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2359529

This accident could have be avoided if the guy side launched his kite. In low winds, Yes, no problems, but in higher wind speeds, why run the risk of being dragged down the beach, when a side launch will safely get your kite in the air.

My point being is that your'd never hot launch a tube kite, would you!

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:06 pm

Must be nearing the end of the kite season for you too? :)

I hot launch my tube kite every now and then in lighter winds, maybe that's the case you see in the magazines, light wind down wind launches. In any case it looks way more cool to hot launch a foil than to launch it from the side of the window. That's why I think they do it that way in the mags :)

You always hope that a beginner will avoid a hot launch in strong winds. Even small trainer kites can kick your ass if you're not experienced and prepared for the hot launch. If you're in the water its not as big a deal, might get some water up the nose.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:14 pm

9 mph teaser wind here. grr.
robbygk wrote: My point being is that your'd never hot launch a tube kite, would you!
well actually..........

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:32 pm

jakemoore wrote:I hot launch all the time. I will launch at about 45 deg if the wind is good but I still set it up like a hot launch. I really prefer to see the whole bridle as the kite comes up and straight down winds is the best for this. And as the FS foil don't s really generate power until full with air this is a no-drama event.

Jake
Jake makes an intresting point here.
One of the main "safety in launching" characteristics of the flysurfers is that they can be launched partially inflated. This makes the kite temporarily "highly inefficent" so that it generates very little power. The power builds up as it fully inflates.

This semi inflated characteristic actually helps reduce overpowered water relaunches too.
When the kite comes down it loses a bit of pressure. This does not affect the relaunch in itself, but when you relaunch the kite comes up a bit under inflated taking some of the airfoil shape out of the kite. As the kite goes up you can see it fully inflate.

There is a bit of a myth going around that you have to launch all foils straight downwind.
This is not true.
I side launch nearly all the time.
I will sometimes do a downwind launch if the tide is really high and the beach is narow with side shore winds.

Whe it comes to magazine reviews of Foils it is understandable that they know a bit less about them. However it's great to see magazines reviewing kites that are a bit out of the main stream.

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:39 pm

"Why do kite mags seem to always review foil kites like this?"
Probably they don't fly them or don't know better how to clarify
what methods are safe according the conditions and level of rider's saturation :?:

There are no rules, but myself I downwind launch in light winds under 12 knots.
Anything above higher & gusty winds for a safer Iaunch I pre-inflate and self launch at the edge of the window,
without much of a pull & ready to activate QR if sh!t hits the fan.

See Fred's Safety Release Reflex (SRR) please read!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2350685&hilit=muscle+memory+qr
I think beginners should know and learn all the above, before they launch in a higher winds :!: :!: :!:

DrLW

bloah
Rare Poster

Postby bloah » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:50 pm

I hot launch a tube pretty damn office, just because there is not enough space to launch it properly...

AND Actually, tubes hot launch pretty good, you just pull on the trimmer all the way,,, and bellow 15 knots I don't loose any ground... In 15 plus, usually someone holds me from the back....Never hot launched any kite, foil or tube in more then 25 knots thought

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:25 pm

i hot launch my foil all the time ( speed² 15), i just make sure i have some space downwind if i m above 10knots.
i m usually ready to ride when i launch it whereas it s snowkiting or kitesurfing

like u seed in that vid, i have close to no downwind space , trees are around 15m behind the kite on the ground, trees on the right and left...a little pear as well....if i launch it on the ground, i could be lofted or dragged in the trees or the kite in the trees...so it s better for me to hot launch it and water start as it is filled and get some power.

i never pre-inflate the kite if i m not ready to ride, it doesn t pull at all until the tips open and the kite is inflated, by that time, it s usually already at the zenith, depowered or moved at 10 or 2.
easier to check the bridles in downwind mode. by the way, u can still backstall it to the ground if u feel something is going wrong ( like an open cell foil)

in high winds, i would side launch those foils.

my peter Lynn kites are launched , all the time , in their side launch method, fully pre-inflated( 45degrees launch)

robbygk
Medium Poster

Postby robbygk » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:36 pm

Doctorlightwind and FredBGG have hit the nail on the head. Its the newbies and people who come to foils from tubes that are the guys who seem to be getting it wrong. I'll hot launch my 15m Speed2 in 10 knots and under only if I have the space. But It still side launches in these winds so why bother.

It just got my goat after seeing someone getting very badly hurt due to a hot launch, that even reviewer are hot launching foils, Mr newbie reads the review, goes off to the beach with his new foil, thinking it just like the one's they got as a trainer kite and gets his arse handed to him.

What's wrong with teaching people to be safe on the water and good kite handerling. Most people who come up to me on the beach say that they saw the kite on the beach, got a magazine about it, and want to book a lesson. But if this is one of the first points of referance for people entering the sport, should the information about the kite be the best about it and its tested on a level ground?

Return to “Kitesurfing”