Forum for travel reports and travel questions
sirjohnh
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

El Yaque Margarita Questions

Postby sirjohnh » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:08 pm

Hello all my first post here, sorry if these questions have been asked before. I am thinking about going to El Yaque (Margarita Island) in December. Is the kiting good there is late December? I have read on other forums the launch is small and a bit hectic. Is the launch really that big of a pain? We would also like to spend some time at Coche, the flat water looks incredible. Would you recommend staying at Coche or would day trips from El Yaque work. Any recommendations on where to stay in Coche, perhaps in San Pedro...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

John

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Re: El Yaque Margarita Questions

Postby Caesar » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:30 am

I can recommend this place: http://www.jumpnjibe.com
Right in front of the beach, good priced, relatively fast Internet and good breakfast (which is included in the price).
December is not much wind though...

Cheers

Larse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lynæs , DK
http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com
Favorite Beaches: Poppelvej, DK
http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com
Style: Wakestyle/freestyle
Gear: LF Nirvana, Envy, LF DLX and LF LFX
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force and http://www.KiteboardingExercises.com

Postby Larse » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:43 am

Go to Coche! El yaque is poor launch and choppy water. But better bars ;)

Tjeck out my pics of the beach in this topic
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=2354840

sirjohnh
Rare Poster

Postby sirjohnh » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:06 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. Sounds like I should skip El Yaque and be staying in Coche. Can anyone recommend a place to stay there? The fancy all inclusice at the beach is a bit out of my price range for 2 weeks. Has anyone stayed at the Kite Cabanas? If so what are the food options? How about San Pedro for accomodations? Can you rent an apartment/hotel room there with a kitchen?

Thanks again,

john

-Stefan-
Rare Poster
Local Beach: De Haan , Belgium.
Style: Freeride

Postby -Stefan- » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:33 pm

I've been in ElYaque for 6 weeks in total.
The spot is not great for kiting due to chop but you can have fun for a couple of days (it IS windy).
Take the boat to kitebeach for a downwinder and to check the nice deserted shores, mangroves and birds.

However, ElYaque is a great 'basecamp'. You can travel to coche (I recommend to check the wind because it's a bit less windy than yaque). If it's blowing leave for a couple of days (just get a cheap hostel near the beach, it'll set you back 15/20$.

Coche has a really nice small club with a friendly owner and you can find a drink and a sandwich.

Also make sure to go to Cubagua! Super spot on an almost deserted island. It is somewhat forbidden right now to kite there, but charter a fisherboat with some friends and take some beer for the local fishermen and they'll let you go (nice latin vibes from the shore included)

http://www.kitebeaches.com/loc/cubagua.html

Also, rent a 4x4 (cheap & 50liters of fuel cost 2$) and go to the other spots on the island.

de action
Rare Poster
Local Beach: goring gap

Postby de action » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:47 pm

hi

i spent about 2 months in and around el yaque at the beggining of the year! well march until june! when i turned up it wasnt that windy but as time went on it got more windy! but apprently the wind started later than normal so december you should be ok!!! el yaque has some cools bars and a good night life compared to coche so if your traveling on your own it may be best to get the ferry to coche when you want to go instead of living there! i found an all inclusive on coche for 23 dollars a night you just need to ask around! but the water is as good as everyone says! makes kiting a lot easier as long as it is not too busy then it can be hard! i stayed in el yaque motion in el yaque, think the cheepest place there but nice aircon rooms and shared kitchen, but a great way to meet other people!

hope this helps

Marialejandra
Rare Poster
Local Beach: El Yaque
Favorite Beaches: La Tortuga, Los Roques, Coche, El Yaque
Style: old school
Gear: North

Postby Marialejandra » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:54 am

Hi! We will be from December in Vebezuela (until June) with a sailing boat specially to go around and visit kite spots (Coche, La Tortuga, Margarita, La Blanquilla)... this is our 4th season there so if interested in more info or in joining us do not hesitate to send an e-mail: marialejandrafaria@gmail.com

Return to “Travel”